Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 66,125 times

Advertisements

I lost my job recently and have lots of time on my hands. I want to stay in touch with my friends from my old job but while they were so friendly to me while I was there, now they won't have anything to do with me. Some come up with excuses why they can't see me, while others are just plain rude and cold.

Do you think it has something to do with getting into a fight with my boss who was destroying the company, and then getting fired? Maybe if the word gets out that they are still friends with me they will be fired too.

What is your experience with old work friends after being laid off or fired?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I will tell you that work friends are work acquaintances only. Once work is no longer in common, there is little if any friend to it, just someone you used to know. Where you retired or were fired makes no difference.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
they are not interested in continuing on in your life, doesn't really matter why. Move on.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:24 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
For the employers you are just a tax number for the rest you are another worker they are not really friends. I don't say no I have very good friends where I worked before but still there is a difference between a college friend or a university friend. Move on keep what happened behind. On single bit more if I were I would not go for fight even boss destroy the company. I would take my salary and go home. Just saying....

Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Could it be that now you are thought of and looked at as a trouble maker?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I was laid off at the end of May after 24 years, none of my former co workers made any effort to stay in touch although I did call a few of them to see how they were doing. I now have a better job working with nicer people so it's all good now.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
It can be awkward. I've had two co-workers I really liked get fired over the past couple of years. I have maintained friendship with the first one but it is awkward sometimes, because she is very bitter, complains about where I work, and frankly I like where I work and I don't want to hear it. The second person was just fired recently so time will tell.

I agree with theoldnorthstate, a big part of it depends on if you have things in common outside of work. But even if you do, you and your former co-workers have to also be respectful of each other and the situation. If you are being negative about your past employer, they probably are not going to want to spend time with you.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
It can be interesting to see who stays in touch when you leave a place, whether you quit or get fired. I've kept up a few friendships, but for the most part these people fade away. In most cases, I find that my closest friends at work are not the people I stay in touch with later on.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:20 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Thinker View Post
I lost my job recently and have lots of time on my hands. I want to stay in touch with my friends from my old job but while they were so friendly to me while I was there, now they won't have anything to do with me. Some come up with excuses why they can't see me, while others are just plain rude and cold.

Do you think it has something to do with getting into a fight with my boss who was destroying the company, and then getting fired? Maybe if the word gets out that they are still friends with me they will be fired too.

Good for you for confronting the boss. I was in a workplace like that once, and I would diplomatically point out to the boss when a strategy would violate the terms of our contracts, and suggest she run everything through the legal department, after which we could be offered new contracts to sign. Just one example. But I was shocked at how everyone else was willing to go along with everything and anything, no matter how nonsensical and counter-productive! Most people, apparently, can't handle someone who takes a stand, no matter how politely presented, or a maverick who has the guts to do the right thing. (The boss eventually quit, in this instance, realizing she was in over her head.)

So, just consider that your "friends" showed their true colors, and you don't need sheeple for friends. That's how I see it. No great loss.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:29 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Thinker View Post

Yes, this could well be the problem. At my last job, a sales manager was fired and then sued the company over it (and won). They called us into a meeting and said something about not forcing us to not communicate with this person, BUT it was strongly discouraged.

We had been friends before, not close friends, but got together outside of work occasionally.

She did call me a couple of times after that (at home, not at work), but of course was asking about how her leaving was being perceived and what people were saying about her, since I know she had hired a lawyer and was planning to sue, I wondered if the calls were being recorded, it made me give very vague generic answers and after a couple of calls they stopped.

So, it's possible they have been "encouraged" to not have any communication with you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.