Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still be friends?
yes 8 4.37%
no 158 86.34%
depends on the circumstances 11 6.01%
With a set of boundaries lthat is respected 6 3.28%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
what do you mean by that? talking about myself a whole lot less? so my feelings of acknowledging that I caused her pain and betrayed doesn't mean anything? I've cried myself to sleep wishing I would've never got involved in the first place. So what should I be saying then that I feel truly sorry for what I did
I've made mistakes, too. So I'm trying not to come down too hard on you. You need to focus on your friend and how she feels so you can understand what's going on. Stop forcing yourself on her. Stop forcing and imposing yourself upon her. Your acknowledgement is great, but your posts sound very "me" centric. It's all about what I've realized, how I feel, how I react, etc. Reverse that and put your friend in that spot. Talk more about her and you'll start getting why she doesn't want to talk to you and why the relationship is done and why other little things you're saying sound really bad on your behalf, such as "It was just her fiancee."

Edit: I just saw you said she has a romantic life now. She might, now, but the sting of the past remains. I've been betrayed by a "close" friend, so I know how these things work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I've made mistakes, too. So I'm trying not to come down too hard on you. You need to focus on your friend and how she feels so you can understand what's going on. Stop forcing yourself on her. Stop forcing and imposing yourself upon her. Your acknowledgement is great, but your posts sound very "me" centric. It's all about what I've realized, how I feel, how I react, etc. Reverse that and put your friend in that spot. Talk more about her and you'll start getting why she doesn't want to talk to you and why the relationship is done and why other little things you're saying sound really bad on your behalf, such as "It was just her fiancee."

Edit: I just saw you said she has a romantic life now. She might, now, but the sting of the past remains. I've been betrayed by a "close" friend, so I know how these things work.
Its not healthy to bottle up our feelings.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Its not healthy to bottle up our feelings.
But admitting what you've done, and regretting it, does not entitle you to be forgiven.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
While you're not entitled to be forgiven (and I think you realize that), it seems that you've genuinely learned your lesson and are trying to make things right, which is key. I hope your ex-friend will see this (it this is, in fact, so) and can learn to move past things. Do understand if your ex-friend is unable to do so, however. My view may be generous, but I generally believe in giving second chances and believe that few things are truly unforgivable. If couples can get past cheating, so can friends in my view. Sure, it'll be tough and your relationship may never truly be the same, but I believe that it's possible. At some point, though, you're going to have to let things go if your ex-friend isn't responding positively to your efforts. When will such a time come to pass? I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be clear to you when that time does come. If that point comes, you will have to move on, knowing that you tried to make things right and live the rest of your life as best as you can.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM

511 posts, read 509,279 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I got heavily involved with a childhood friend of mine and her relationship that ended in me cheating with her ex-fiancee. Fast foward 4 years later, I still wish I could take it all back. I admitted my wrongdoings and deeply regret doing what I did.

She only talks to me briefly if we happen to run into each other. Rarely, she will answer my texts.
I don't talk on phone.

I mailed her a Valentine's Day card last week.... Not even a response.

She has blocked blocked me on FB. Although shes "friends" with members of my own family which stings and hurts.

The whole irony of this is he had also cheated on her with her sister. And her and the sister are still friends talking to each other
If she doesn't answer your texts, why are you sending her a Valentines day Card? That's a romantic holiday for lovers, which you two are about as far from that as you can get.

Members of your family never betrayed her, so she has the right and choice to be friends with them.

Let her be

Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I know I hurt her, Im not denying that.

She must be one of those people that think "blood is thicker than water". It just bugs me that her sister got involved with him as well and they seem to get along when I see them
That's her sister, she's a bit stuck.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-27-2015 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I cant. Although she does speak to me if we see each other in public somewhere. Small town where I live

SD4020, I'm a Dudette, not a Dude
So she doesn't shun you, woop de doo. She's a polite person, that's all.

And even though she is married, YOU send her a Valentines Card.

Did it ever occur to you that that is her husbands place to do so?

And your background of home-wrecker only shows you seem to not have changed. Funny holiday to be choosing to send a card about.

Again, move on. What you are doing is weird, and out of line. Again

Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I got heavily involved with a childhood friend of mine and her relationship that ended in me cheating with her ex-fiancee. Fast foward 4 years later, I still wish I could take it all back. I admitted my wrongdoings and deeply regret doing what I did.

She only talks to me briefly if we happen to run into each other. Rarely, she will answer my texts.
I don't talk on phone.

I mailed her a Valentine's Day card last week.... Not even a response.

She has blocked blocked me on FB. Although shes "friends" with members of my own family which stings and hurts.

The whole irony of this is he had also cheated on her with her sister. And her and the sister are still friends talking to each other
You disrespected her back then. Now, you're disrespecting the boundaries she has set, which just reminds her of how you hurt her.

Please, leave this poor woman alone!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:12 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:

It doesnt matter if he was a boyfriend or married, the affair would of still happened. The guy sensed my weakness of being a virgin and used it to his advantage to get what he wanted
PLEASE stop playing the victim here. YOU are not the victim. You were a willing participant in betraying your friend. Unless you are suddenly going to claim he raped you, you were a willing participant and not a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While you're not entitled to be forgiven (and I think you realize that), it seems that you've genuinely learned your lesson and are trying to make things right, which is key. I hope your ex-friend will see this (it this is, in fact, so) and can learn to move past things. Do understand if your ex-friend is unable to do so, however. My view may be generous, but I generally believe in giving second chances and believe that few things are truly unforgivable. If couples can get past cheating, so can friends in my view. Sure, it'll be tough and your relationship may never truly be the same, but I believe that it's possible. At some point, though, you're going to have to let things go if your ex-friend isn't responding positively to your efforts. When will such a time come to pass? I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be clear to you when that time does come. If that point comes, you will have to move on, knowing that you tried to make things right and live the rest of your life as best as you can.
The friend may have forgiven her. But that in no way, shape, or form means she wants happyfarm back in her life. Forgiving does NOT mean forgetting. Forgiving does NOT mean that things can now go back to the way they were before the transgression took place.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
PLEASE stop playing the victim here. YOU are not the victim. You were a willing participant in betraying your friend
You have no idea what I was going through at the time. Imagine a young woman that spent much of her life isolated away from everyone and working at a crappy job that made her miserable. Being afraid of everything new with low self confidence and self esteem. It was a lonely, lonely place to be and felt even worse as I was climbing out of my comfort zone

As that happened surrounding myself with people, realizing all those years I had lost isolating myself, depression sunk that lead to an suicide attempt. After that was when the affair started.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 02-17-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships