Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

I dont choose my friends based on their social status or appearance. I choose my friends based on their ethics, morality, virtues, honesty, etc. So my close friends are all of different social staus, different looks, different religions, different educational backgrounds, and from different countrys.

I think its shallow to only choose friends based on status or appearance. And dont give me any b.s. crap about "having more in common with people who are similar in social status or appearances". I can just a good a friend to the guy who sits on the board of directors for a large corporation and the guy on a fixed income who can barely afford to feed himself. There are other more meaningful ways of connecting/making friends than on a superficial level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I dont choose my friends based on their social status or appearance. I choose my friends based on their ethics, morality, virtues, honesty, etc. So my close friends are all of different social staus, different looks, different religions, different educational backgrounds, and from different countrys.

I think its shallow to only choose friends based on status or appearance. And dont give me any b.s. crap about "having more in common with people who are similar in social status or appearances". I can just a good a friend to the guy who sits on the board of directors for a large corporation and the guy on a fixed income who can barely afford to feed himself. There are other more meaningful ways of connecting/making friends than on a superficial level.
See, you make an interesting point. I like interesting people. And nothing's duller than a room full of stuffed shirts worrying about the next thing they say.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
I have friends of diverse standings. One makes less money than I do; another one is pretty much a millionaire.

I tend to “pick” friends not so much based on socioeconomic status but rather on shared/common interests, and it's fairly clear to me after a few hangouts how compatible I am with people.

I think that most of us have a diverse circle of people we know, friends and acquaintances alike, and that mixing them is not always a good idea. Generally, I’ve been correct on knowing which person would or would not match with whom.

And … there is no way for me to say this without sounding arrogant, but I’m going to say it anyway. Several of my friends and acquaintances are not on an intellectual level that impresses me. I’m always reading books and magazines, as well as online articles by scholars and experts. Most of the folks I know read little besides the newspaper or Sports Illustrated. This can be frustrating when the people I know are not only not very cultural or intellectual, but they also prefer to talk about vacuous things (i.e, “dude I banged so many chicks when I visited XXXXXX 4 years ago…”)

Which is why I prefer quality over quantity.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I'm wondering why anyone would want to surround themselves only with the like-minded? Seems kind of sheltered/ shallow to me.
Sounds like the Republican party to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sounds like the Republican party to me.
Hahaha...you've never been to the Upper East Side, have you? If it were any more insular and inbred, it'd be the Ozark Mountains.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Are you being honest or sarcastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not to mention your rampant self-esteem issues. C'mon, Arty, you need to love yourself more.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
mine tend to be a bit above me mostly. some a lil below. but no huge gaps.
to an extent manners and smarts and talent offset money. im sorry, did you want fries with that?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 PM

You know. I like to circulate among the little people every once in a while, just to give them a thrill. You know, to show by example all that's possible, thereby broadening and enriching their perspectives. To give them hope and, if they're too old to transform themselves, a model for their children to aspire to. The little words of wisdom I toss off to them are received gratefully and are, quite possibly, the highlight of their shabby little lives.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know. I like to circulate among the little people every once in a while, just to give them a thrill. You know, to show by example all that's possible, thereby broadening and enriching their perspectives. To give them hope and, if they're too old to transform themselves, a model for their children to aspire to. The little words of wisdom I toss off to them are received gratefully and are, quite possibly, the highlight of their shabby little lives.
thats the spirit i like it.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
People seem to have a sixth sense for determining where they fit in the beauty, class, style, and social status front and pick friends who are similar in that way.

.......While there are serious exceptions, I notice that most women who hang out together seem to be of equal status when it comes to their appearance, weight, social and economic status, and popularity. Beautiful girls will hang out with other beauty queens. Women who buy really expensive looking clothes will hang out with others who share a similar fashion and spending philosophy.
I have had all kinds of friends from all kinds of backgrounds - and I've cleaned house over the last while. I can get along with anyone, but it turns out the friends I have left are actually much more accomplished, formally educated and much wealthier than I am.

By all accounts, I'm the odd-ball. We come from very different socio-economic backgrounds. They're all college educated, degreed, upper-middle class and higher, met their spouses in college, got married, had kids, work 9-5 and all that goes with living a well-mapped out life. My life hasn't been as golden. I make a decent living, but I wouldn't shop at Needless Markup even if I had that kind of money to blow. They can and they do.

We communicate on the same level. We share a lot of the same interests, and embrace the same core principles and values. You don't need a degree or a trust fund to be intelligent and socially adept. And being grounded despite your wealth and accomplishments makes for a person worth knowing.

Anyways, I'm kind of on the opposite end of that scenario. If people with money surround themselves with money, they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships