Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 AM

218 posts, read 563,018 times

Advertisements

I don't know. I never really thought about it, but I'm probably(I cant spell) lower than my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:40 AM

10 posts, read 19,642 times
Well what i care most about my friends is how honest are with me and if are good people,no need to worry if i turn my back my friends will try and see who is going to dig my grave faster the rest is not a big deal, to be a little different is good also ..its nice to have some common interests, but we dont have to like everything the same.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Some people delude themselves into thinking their circle is more diverse than it really is. People seek out others of similar status to themselves when forming bonds. I bet most people who claim to have friends from all walks of life actually have friends very similar to themselves. I have a routine I do were I play a redneck bartender from Alabama, and I say: we get all kinds in here, really a little bit of everything. We have Bama fans and Auburn fans, together drinking. It takes all kinds, you know?

We have an uncanny knack for sensing who's "like us" and who's not. I think it's an evolved and essential part of our animal nature. My wife told me at my daughter's first girl scout meeting it was hysterical how the women (most of whom were strangers) paired off. They sized up each other's fashion, body type and other social cues and hung out acccordingly. It's awkward to hang out with someone who is significantly poorer or richer or more or less intelligent than you are or who has interests wildly different than yours -- it just is. We're hardwired like that.

I suppose it would also be awkward to be a beautiful woman telling stories of being a beautiful woman to a group of homely chubbies -- "So this guy just came out of the blue and said hello to me... so annoying, he was kind of cute but I'm not interested in anything right now. I'm with Bill." The chubbies would be judging this woman as conceited or pretentious or whatever even if she didnt' mean any harm by her stories. Even if they weren't judging her, she might feel self conscious about her stories if she knew that most of them haven't gotten any male attention (and want it) for months. It would also suck to be the only homely chubby in a group of belles, laughing along at their stories as if you know exactly what it's like to blow off yet another unwanted suitor.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I think it's natural to be drawn to people with similar interests and backgrounds. Of course, that criteria changes over time. I have one friend where we don't have too much in common. We've been friends for 15 years now and have just grown in different directions. That doesn't stop us from chatting it up on the phone several times a week (we live in different states). Besides her, all of my friends are pretty much in the same economic situation as I am. eta: their education backgrounds are pretty similar as well. Their party interests align with mine, etc.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM

350 posts, read 4,159,337 times
My friends are very different; but one thing I realized awhile ago that they all have in common is that they are all PhDs--we all have doctorates, even though I didn't meet any of them in grad school. So for me, the main similarities I share with them is having an advanced degree, even though beyond that, my friends are all very different, and all very different from me.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Some people delude themselves into thinking their circle is more diverse than it really is. People seek out others of similar status to themselves when forming bonds. I bet most people who claim to have friends from all walks of life actually have friends very similar to themselves. I have a routine I do were I play a redneck bartender from Alabama, and I say: we get all kinds in here, really a little bit of everything. We have Bama fans and Auburn fans, together drinking. It takes all kinds, you know?

We have an uncanny knack for sensing who's "like us" and who's not. I think it's an evolved and essential part of our animal nature. My wife told me at my daughter's first girl scout meeting it was hysterical how the women (most of whom were strangers) paired off. They sized up each other's fashion, body type and other social cues and hung out acccordingly. It's awkward to hang out with someone who is significantly poorer or richer or more or less intelligent than you are or who has interests wildly different than yours -- it just is. We're hardwired like that.

I suppose it would also be awkward to be a beautiful woman telling stories of being a beautiful woman to a group of homely chubbies -- "So this guy just came out of the blue and said hello to me... so annoying, he was kind of cute but I'm not interested in anything right now. I'm with Bill." The chubbies would be judging this woman as conceited or pretentious or whatever even if she didnt' mean any harm by her stories. Even if they weren't judging her, she might feel self conscious about her stories if she knew that most of them haven't gotten any male attention (and want it) for months. It would also suck to be the only homely chubby in a group of belles, laughing along at their stories as if you know exactly what it's like to blow off yet another unwanted suitor.
There IS a great deal of diversity between Auburn and Alabama fans. Auburn fans represent all that is true and good and possible in humanity, the very forces of light in an otherwise squalid world. The ideal of the world made real, if you will.

Alabama fans, on the other hand, are an ignorant rabble almost exclusively made up of stump-neck, gap-tooth, knuckle-dragging, polyester-wearing, stoop-gait, slack-jawed, biscuit-eating, book-burning, cousin-kissing backwoods lackwits. So yes, there's a great deal of diversity in your life and you didn't even realize it.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
There IS a great deal of diversity between Auburn and Alabama fans. Auburn fans represent all that is true and good and possible in humanity, the very forces of light in an otherwise squalid world. The ideal of the world made real, if you will.

Alabama fans, on the other hand, are an ignorant rabble almost exclusively made up of stump-neck, gap-tooth, knuckle-dragging, polyester-wearing, stoop-gait, slack-jawed, biscuit-eating, book-burning, cousin-kissing backwoods lackwits. So yes, there's a great deal of diversity in your life and you didn't even realize it.
LOL! Too funny. I guess you're right. I'm not from Alabama -- other than driving to a wedding in Dothan and having breakfast at Hooters the next morning (it was Easter Sunday.. the place was empty) I've never even been there. I had no idea the multitudes the state contains.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
...I like to circulate among the little people every once in a while...
I tried to do that once, but I couldn't find them.

I finally found out that they lived "somewhere over the rainbow".

But it wasn't raining at the time so I went to look for the Oompa Loompas.

I couldn't find them either.

But I did find an ugly little Mexican guy who kept looking up in the sky for "Deplane".

But he was drunk.

Then, I heard someone singing "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go."

I saw six or seven little people off in the distance, but I didn't go over to them.

I figured they were probably kids going to work in a WalMart sweat shop.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,710,076 times
As far as I'm concerned, none of my friends are like me. I always viewed that as a good thing because I can learn from them and they can learn from me. I dunno, I have always been one of those people who are drawn to people who are different.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I love to watch people over at the huge regional shopping mall near my home. One thing I have been noticing recently is the physical and style similarities of people who hang out together. People seem to have a sixth sense for determining where they fit in the beauty, class, style, and social status front and pick friends who are similar in that way.

While there are serious exceptions, I notice that most women who hang out together seem to be of equal status when it comes to their appearance, weight, social and economic status, and popularity. For example, rarely will you see a very overweight woman friends with a real skinny woman. Beautiful girls will hang out with other beauty queens. Women who buy really expensive looking clothes will hang out with others who share a similar fashion and spending philosophy.

How are your friends when it comes to matching your social, economic and appearance status? (No PC talk or denial people!)

Nope, I prefer to hang out with low lifes and other types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships