Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 AM

61 posts, read 112,157 times

Advertisements

Think my friends and I are a bit like spice girls... the sporty one, the posh one, the ditzy one and so forth... I mean, if we were all similar, wouldn't we end up picking the same guy, same clothes, etc??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,206 times
My range of friends definitely covers diverse. My oldest friends are a pretty average bunch I've known since I was a teen, In my 20's - 30's I made some pretty influential friends, Hiltons among others. In my 40's because of my business I've made many friends in the skateboarding community from the Dogtown guys through the street skating scene so thats a vast age group. I guess looking at my friends as a whole they lean towards trendy and most of them do well financially. My wifes friends from her younger days looked like your typical beach bums but all of her close female friends are very attractive educated women.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I love to watch people over at the huge regional shopping mall near my home. One thing I have been noticing recently is the physical and style similarities of people who hang out together. People seem to have a sixth sense for determining where they fit in the beauty, class, style, and social status front and pick friends who are similar in that way.

While there are serious exceptions, I notice that most women who hang out together seem to be of equal status when it comes to their appearance, weight, social and economic status, and popularity. For example, rarely will you see a very overweight woman friends with a real skinny woman. Beautiful girls will hang out with other beauty queens. Women who buy really expensive looking clothes will hang out with others who share a similar fashion and spending philosophy.

How are your friends when it comes to matching your social, economic and appearance status? (No PC talk or denial people!)
I have a few friends who are well below myself in economic status and physical appearance. I'm not saying I'm drop dead gorgeous but I'm about 101lbs, whereas the friend I currently spend the most time with is well overweight, possibly even obese. I don't know her exact weight. She also makes far less money than I do and had a poorer education (though that does not mean she is less intelligent than I am).

In even high school, although my best friend came from the same social background, she was very overweight, whereas I weighed about 98lbs.

Of course I do also have other friends who are more similar in social status and physical appearance to myself - but that doesn't mean I don't have friends who break this stereotype. I'm not sure this is as rare as you seem to think it is. If you saw me with my sister in law, you'd probably stereotype us as similar women sticking together but the very next day you could see me with one of my overweight friends. Sorry if that's too PC for you but it's the truth.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
I don't know. One of my best friends is a cabinet maker. In a lot of ways, he's a blue-collar guy. But he and I love to talk (He reads a lot) and we have a similar sense of humor. He makes fun of my neighborhood and I make fun of his living out in the sticks. He and his wife are always a welcome addition to our parties, and certainly have never met with any snobbery from our friends.

I think it's more of a matter of moving in the same circles than selecting people based on income, weight or some other criteria. As they say, out of sight, out of mind. We've just made an effort to stay in touch with each other over the years. And it's a rare couple of months where we're not either having dinner or lunch together.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,468,584 times
I'd say my friends are quite diverse.

But, on the other hand, they're all individually interesting, talented people. It would be a compliment to say that I resembled them in any way.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:40 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
Thinking about it I would say that intellectually we all tend to be more or less similar. Most are college educated, and those that aren't have street smarts.
Financially it's all over the place, some don't have much and others have cash coming out of their ears.

Looks wise it's also very diverse, I think most of my friends are pretty, but size wise they range from a size 0, to morbidly obese. I really try not to judge people on their weight or looks. I guess I prefer to go shopping and stuff with women who are more middle of the road size wise as it means we can shop in the same stores!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
I am extremely attractive and none of my friends have been like me in that way. My attractiveness usually embarrasses or make people feel insecure or nervous.

All of the friends have had a sense of humor and are articulate like me.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,052,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am extremely attractive and none of my friends have been like me in that way. My attractiveness usually embarrasses or make people feel insecure or nervous.

Cut that out - you're making me nervous!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,654,962 times
Quote:

Why would anyone be embarrassed by someone's attractiveness?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Not to mention your rampant self-esteem issues. C'mon, Arty, you need to love yourself more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships