Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

If they're directly harassing you or threatening you, you can go to the police. In that circumstance, you can also notify the management that you're calling the police and hiring a lawyer. "police" and "lawyer" are not words management wants to hear in one sentence, and it may spur them to untie their panties and do something about the problem tenants.

But if they're just noisy and inconsiderate, there's not a lot you can do. The police may come if people complain, but chances are they have larger problems to deal with than someone honking his horn at midnight. If he does it several times a week, then you can nail him. If it's just an occasional thing, then you can't do too much about it.

I like the way this man thinks. Bribe them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Your neighbor is an *****hole. Those are the faults with living in an apartment.
I feel your pain, as I only recently moved out of an apartment that I was in for a short time.
Apartment living means you have to deal with all types of people, some of which don't have any manners.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Don't like it... move to a more expensive apartment complex

Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Move to a condo that doesn't allow renters and has a strong association.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Heck -- that's people nowadays. If they are doing it -- blowing horns, yelling, having a fight -- it's okay and you shouldn't mind. However, if YOU are doing it, there will be hell to pay. My sister owns her own home in a very nice area, this sort of crap happens all the time.

I live in a poorer neighborhood and it happens all the time here, too. With the addition of car alarms.... and mockingbirds who learn the car alarms. And when you hear a mockingbird imitate a car alarm at three in the morning -- you have to find it funny, or go crazy. That's pretty much how we handle these things -- it's part of life, and we deal. If it's really bad, get a white noise machine to block out the other noise, or start wearing earplugs to bed.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
There is an idiot who drives down our street at 5am and honks. Not one little honk, but 2-3 drawn out honks. No idea why, but it's incredibly annoying.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:54 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
I have lived in single-family homes, apartments, and towhomes. All three have had various irritations/noise issues at various times. No place is ever perfect.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:25 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I have lived in single-family homes, apartments, and towhomes. All three have had various irritations/noise issues at various times. No place is ever perfect.
I never lived in towed homes but townhouses.

Noises suck, people are douches .. .nothing you can do about it. I have barking dogs in my area. I complained and complained and nothing happens other than people think I am weird. My neighbor gets picked up every day and the guy shows up, honking. My blood boils within a second but nothing I can do about it. It's just how it is.

Common courtesy would be nice.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Just wait til your neighbor buys a motorcycle.

I live on a cul-de-sac with 16 twin homes (think duplexes with attached garages). So many have had their garages converted to bedrooms & rented out room by room. My neighborhood has gone to hell. I've lived here 17 years. Lots of college students who don't care about neighbors, trash, yard maintenance, snow removal, etc. Plus with being on a cul-de-sac, there is very limited street parking. I used to be very considerate of my neighbors...turning off headlights when pulling into my driveway, not running snowblower or lawnmower early morning, asking guests not to have conversations in the driveway as they leave, etc. But it is no longer reciprocated....so, I gave up.

I use a white noise machine, ear plugs, eye mask and relaxation music to try to get some sleep. My anxiety issues regarding not being able to sleep have really taken a toll on me. Can't sell my house because a loophole in the property description which legally ties me to my neighbor if I try to refinance or sell. And that neighbor doesn't have a steady job and can't afford to refinance right now. So I'm stuck.

My fantasy is to buy an acre lot & put my small house smack dab in the middle with a 10 ft high cinderblock fence surrounding 3 sides & an iron fence & gate in the front. Lots of tall trees for sound buffer & privacy. Inside my small house, I'll have a windowless, well insulated sleeping room right in the middle of my home.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
People are selfish ignorant pigs and since our justice system frowns on culling the worst pigs we just have to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships