Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM

32,038 posts, read 36,920,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You just have to get used to doing it.

If they say "one more thing," say, "We'll talk about it next time. Bye!" and hang up.

If they are SO clueless they can't tell the length of phone calls are a serious burden to you, their feelings won't get hurt by your being assertive.
Yes, I've been pretty forceful on many occasions.

Like, "Listen, I told you I could talk one hour but that I'd have to hang up at 9 pm. It's now 9 pm, so we'll have to continue this some other time. Bye!"

But she is utterly undeterred and it's the same thing every time.

While I'd be glad to call more often for shorter calls, this routine is emotionally exhausting. In my opinion it's passive-aggressive behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,020,469 times
I pretend the person's voice is breaking up because of a bad signal or road noise and hang up on him/her. "What'd you say, Sally? I can barely hear you. I think I'm losing you! We must have a bad connection or something!" Click. That way it's not me being rude, but AT&T. If the person calls back, that's what voicemail is for.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,364,092 times
I know who they are and I head them off at the pass. When they call, I say, "How nice to hear from you. I'm glad to talk by I have to leave for an appointment in ___ minutes." Then let them talk and when the minutes are up say, "Sorry to cut you short but it's time for me to leave."

If they call late at night when you couldn't possibly be going anywhere, that's what caller ID and answering machines are for. When they call later and say, "Where were you last night?" say you were sleeping or have a short sweet reply that will bring them up short. I used to say, "I was entertaining George Clooney and didn't want to be disturbed." But now that he's married, I guess I will have to think of someone else.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,364,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes, I've been pretty forceful on many occasions.

Like, "Listen, I told you I could talk one hour but that I'd have to hang up at 9 pm. It's now 9 pm, so we'll have to continue this some other time. Bye!"

But she is utterly undeterred and it's the same thing every time.

While I'd be glad to call more often for shorter calls, this routine is emotionally exhausting. In my opinion it's passive-aggressive behavior.

If that's the case, feel free to hang up after you say, "It's 9 pm, gotta go," even if she's in mid-sentence. It's no ruder than what she's doing. It doesn't matter why she's doing it. It's unconscionable.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Good idea, Scooby. I've also used "I've got to go to the bathroom," "There's somebody at the door," "I've got a call on the other line," etc.

What galls me is that these two folks -- and one is worse than the other -- keep coming back to the same routine. They've been doing it for years.

Their lack of consideration pushes me into taking action that I don't like. I honestly don't like making excuses.

And you know, I've told them this explicitly. It's not some unspoken complaint that I'm harboring.

I guess it comes down to putting up with it or just X'ing them off the list. It will be the former, because I basically like them despite their ceaseless yakking.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If that's the case, feel free to hang up after you say, "It's 9 pm, gotta go," even if she's in mid-sentence. It's no ruder than what she's doing. It doesn't matter why she's doing it. It's unconscionable.
Agreed, Jukesgrrl, but it's still hard for me to do. I've done it a number of times, but later I always feel sort of bad about it.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM

11,218 posts, read 9,847,425 times
I just say something like..."Oh look at the time! I've got to let you go now, I'll talk to you next week (or whenever), ba-bye!" (click). Don't wait for a response, just say "ba-bye" and hang up immediately. Or my other alternative is "I really got to go now, I mean really....I need to pee. Talk to you later" and then hang up. This works well since I'm a woman in my 50's, I always have to pee (TMI, I know).

Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,662,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Tell 'em you have to take a #2 then hang up.
My mom always tells me this when I call, but I assumed she was telling the truth.

Anyway, I liked the advice from another thread on this topic: hang up on them, but do it while you're speaking so that they'll just think you got disconnected. Obviously, don't answer the phone if they call you back.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,083,301 times
I have actually thought about buying an extra battery operated door bell to use in the house, when my mother phones and goes on and on! I would then imagine pressing said door bell and saying "I've gotta go, there's someone at the door"! He he!

Can you believe that I've actually put the phone down on a table and gone and done other things, whilst my mother has been on the phone? And I could still hear her yapping away!

My other trick is to just say "Yeah" every so often, whilst thinking about other things, like what I am going to cook for dinner...

Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM

6,186 posts, read 4,655,889 times
A suddenly serious voice and mention of sudden gastric malaise due to fast food burritos, or some other greasy food is a good standby followed by, "Sorry, but I've got to go, NOW. Bye!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships