Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

My apologies if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find it.

Do you have people who just will not end a telephone conversation?

I know two people like this, and when I call them I always allocate enough time for a LONG conversation -- maybe an hour or so.

But even after that, they will just keep going. I'll say, "Well, I need to ring off" or "It's time for me to hang up and get to bed" but they are completely undeterred.

What's the best strategy?

On a few occasions I've literally said, "Okay, I'm exhausted and am hanging up in two minutes." However, I feel kind of bad about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Just say, "OK, I gotta go. I'll talk to you soon. Bye." And hang up.

That last part is key....hanging up. Because if you do not hang up, the other party keeps talking to you. So just hang up. Click. Off. End. Whatever your phone does.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
When you first exchange pleasantries let them know what time you need to go and at that time just say it's X time I have to go now, and then hang up.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:49 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
"Gotta go, my hair is on fire."

Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
That last part is key....hanging up. Because if you do not hang up, the other party keeps talking to you. So just hang up. Click. Off. End. Whatever your phone does.

When I say that to one of these folks, they will invariably say, "Wait! let me tell you one more thing...."

It's family so I hate to just hang up, although I have done that several times over the years.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Tell 'em you have to take a #2 then hang up.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I say that to one of these folks, they will invariably say, "Wait! let me tell you one more thing...."

It's family so I hate to just hang up, although I have done that several times over the years.
You just have to get used to doing it.

If they say "one more thing," say, "We'll talk about it next time. Bye!" and hang up.

If they are SO clueless they can't tell the length of phone calls are a serious burden to you, their feelings won't get hurt by your being assertive.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM

58 posts, read 43,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay50945086

If you actually want to be off the phone with them then you might have to keep it up. You could do the polite but urgent "I'll call you right back" excuse but don't actually call them back the same. which means you got to get your acting and the tone of your voice on point. Say they just won't shut up, just take a quiet deep breathe, get your head into urgent mode and say ' Nancy, Nancy (obviously insert the actual name or salutation, with a panicking tone) I really have to have to go but I'll call you back' and you just don't call back. Of course you can't do that all the time because they might catch up and call you out on it, so rotate to a different strategy.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Tell 'em you have to take a #2 then hang up.
Or tell them you just did.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
One old friend has a habit of saying, "Well, I just wanted to tell you..." then rehashing what they have just been talking about for the last fifteen minutes of a two-hour long conversation (not my choice, believe me!) when I make efforts to conclude things.

Drives me nuts.

I don't call this friend as often as I once did, sadly. This is not the only issue, but the friendship has become rather burdensome, due to this and more significant personality issues.

I still value my friend and our shared experiences - but our paths have diverged considerably and our personalities have become more, I don't know, "set" as the years have passed - in very different patterns.

I find myself having less and less in common with this friend, and also find that the friend has some very inaccurate assumptions about me, which are entrenched and immovable (innocuous example: my friend thinks I love puns. I don't, but will laugh politely or groan. My friend is also extremely sensitive and would make a huge deal of it if I clarified my lack of love for puns, so it's easier just to let it go. More and more of this sort of thing crops up, and it gets wearisome....

But - this same friend is generous, would do anything in the world for me, loved my late immediate family, and was a good friend to me when I was young and living in a large city where I knew very few people and was dealing with a truly sociopathic supervisor (I do not exaggerate).

My friend just doesn't really know me very accurately any more, and that saddens me. But not enough to stay on the phone for two or more hours, then listen to a rehash of the conversation...

Last edited by CraigCreek; 08-24-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships