Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
I think it is just you.

Tattoos are not for those of one extreme or another. They've been mainstream for years now.

My husband got a tattoo with his fraternity letters about 25 years ago, and he's about as far as you can get from either extreme you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I can't imagine anyone saying these tattoos are disgusting. Some people use tatoos as a beautiful solution to a life\self image changing situation

Tattoo Artists Cover The Scars Of Breast Cancer Survivors With Beautiful Tattoos

Old 09-06-2015, 10:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Reminds me of skulls. They were different and interesting until the early 2000s. Then everyone had them.

As far as the OP, I don't think they were ever into it. So that perspective would explain their talking points.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I can't imagine anyone saying these tattoos are disgusting. Some people use tatoos as a beautiful solution to a life\self image changing situation

Tattoo Artists Cover The Scars Of Breast Cancer Survivors With Beautiful Tattoos
I have a hard time equating these tattoos with getting "Only God Can Judge Me" tattooed in script the length of your arm.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:06 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Reminds me of skulls. They were different and interesting until the early 2000s. Then everyone had them.

As far as the OP, I don't think they were ever into it. So that perspective would explain their talking points.
I have yet to meet anyone without a skull, as far as I know. They have been standard issue for as long as I can remember.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
These days it's more hip & trendy to NOT be tattooed than it is to be tattooed lol.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:01 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
All tats are stupid, so lets start there.
Beyond that, it is a fad, but one that cannot be changed like you could do with a new hairstyle or new clothes when the fad fades away.
So the sheep just follow the herd trying to "look cool" or "fit in". The same is true on men wearing earrings/piercings.

To me they all look feminine, but then again I was raised old school. My standard would be the image of James Arness or John Wayne as a mans man. What passes for a man now days is pathetic.

`

Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
These days it's more hip & trendy to NOT be tattooed than it is to be tattooed lol.

Just like the hipsters who ALL have bushy "lumberjack beards" in order to be...different...the rush toward tattooing one's body is just one more type of conformity for those who...just have to fit-in with a certain element of society.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I don't find tattoos half as offensive than the goth look with rings everywhere and a post in the tongue ...ive seen a couple cashiers at convenience stores all goth'd out ...looked dumb to me,

the tattoos are intriguing to me,,,,some people get them and anyone else rarely sees them,,,its a source/reflection of daring excitement I guess.. to each their own

Old 09-06-2015, 05:11 PM

11,374 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

Since I used the word "disgusting" I take it that was aimed at me.

To each his/her own. I couldn't make it through that post. My scrolling down made an abrupt stop. I'd rather see the natural scars but as I posted everyone has the right to do to their body what one wants.

I work with a very nice looking woman in her early 20s. After her shift the other day she apparently came out of the bathroom missing a piece of clothing she was wearing showing off her big ugly tattoos which I think were snakes or something like that which ran from her shoulder straight down. I had no idea she had it. I cannot post what that would do to me if I was younger and tried to involved with her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships