Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
When I see people with tattoos, I think "trashy" and "low class". Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
They are not has been they are never were been
Most of the true tough guys I know that fought in the war have missing body parts not tattoos
They don't need any stinking tattoos and yes indeed they are real tough guys

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-05-2015 at 05:53 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 05:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
....Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
Your view of people sounds like a bunch of boxes with rigid stereotype labels made for easy sorting.

I don't live in the U.S., but where I live in Europe is a popular summer vacation spot for English, Germans, Spanish and Portuguese mainly. Thus, you see many folks in bathing suits and minimum cover summer wear. Tattoos are clearly very popular with all kinds of men from these countries, and I would not be able honestly say that they are more so with smoother, more polished type guys than with those whose appearance is rougher and tougher.

What I have noticed in recent years that many guys with brawnier bodies are going in for much larger and more artistically complicated tattoos, and more often than in the past ones with classic Japanese themes. But a young, slender Portugese guy in his twenties who works for one of the big package delivery services here has just completed the last part of a body suit tattoo in this style. It is a knockout. The first few couple of pictures in this link are similar to his: 22 Bright and Brazen Japanese Bodysuits | Tattoodo.com

I see this style done as sleeve or back tattoos more often, I imagine it is quite expensive for the full suit.

In appearance he does not look as if he would like to bludgeon someone with a tire iron; but, on the other hand, he could never do a Justin Bieber imitation either. Just a good-natured guy with a great tattoo...but, as a masculine stereotype, alas, he is a failure.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

They are a super trend /fad soon to fade into the sunset. Nowadays, they are on every type of person you can imagine--from soccer mom to biker. Why? Because they are just that: a fad.

In these times, the definition of a true individualist is the one who didn't run out and get a tat (or a bunch of tats) because everyone else did. I know, I know, someone is going to endlessly argue how their tatoo has special meaning and is a part of their individual creativity and expression. Yeah, I would have bought that years ago when it was rare to see one. Now, it's as common a cheeseburgers. Special? Not hardly. Self deception only.

The great thing about the types that opted out of the trend is that they have options for dress, skin color, etc. They left the "canvas" blank. They are able to ever change without getting caught. Getting caught is when you can't easily change the things you've done, and are stuck in the time warp of impetuous decision/choice/action.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-05-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Interesting question. The media's influence on people has increased substantially since those days and herd behavior has increased as much. Getting tattoos is a great example of herd/tribal behavior. It is ironic because many of these people think they are showing their 'individuality' by getting them but in fact they are showing their herd/base instincts to 'fit in' and be 'cool'

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
:.............How "manly" and "tough" are the women who have gotten tattoos through the years???..............
Up until about maybe 20 years ago, the only women who had tattoos were hookers, bar flies, felons, and gang members. So, I wouldn't necessarily call them manly, but they were certainly tough.

That doesn't apply today since just about everyone has a tattoo and they are certainly more socially acceptable. It does explain why some folks still think it is trashy for a woman to have visible tattoos.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
They are a super trend /fad soon to fade into the sunset. Nowadays, they are on every type of person you can imagine--from soccer mom to biker. Why? Because they are just that: a fad.

In these times, the definition of a true individualist is the one who didn't run out and get a tat (or a bunch of tats) because everyone else did. I know, I know, someone is going to endlessly argue how their tatoo has special meaning and is a part of their individual creativity and expression. Yeah, I would have bought that years ago when it was rare to see one. Now, it's as common a cheeseburgers. Special? Not hardly. Self deception only.

The great thing about the types that opted out of the trend is that they have options for dress, skin color, etc. They left the "canvas" blank. They are able to ever change without getting caught. Getting caught is when you can't easily change the things you've done, and are stuck in the time warp of impetuous decision/choice/action.
Tattoos are actually century old traditions found all over the world in a variety of cultures. The styles of tattoos may change and be trendy, but tattooing itself has and always will be around.

history of tattoos

Old 09-05-2015, 11:37 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
Your post reminds me of this image:

Old 09-05-2015, 12:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
I think certain tatoos and certain locations allow for more judgment than others. Of course, as a dude, I'm going to look at a young woman with a "tramp-stamp" and have a very similar thought process as Vince Vaughn's character in the Wedding Singer. I don't think I've ever seen a dude with one, but I'm pretty sure I'd judge them in a similar fashion.

I don't have any issues with sleeve tattoos. I don't get it, but I'm 35 now so I'm an old fogey.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 9,787 times
Just wait until they all get real old and baggy.

What an insult to the human body to deface it like that. Its like putting graffiti on the Sistine Chapel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships