Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it bother you if people show up with out calling?
Yes 174 74.04%
No 61 25.96%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:07 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times

Advertisements

I think it would be common courtesy to let someone know you would like to visit.

It would be somewhat uncomfortable if we have other guests visiting and someone shows up unannounced. What if the wife and I are engaged in, um, some, uh, activity at the time?

Both of us are used to living in the country, where privacy was never an issue, even though we now live in a city. We enjoy walking around in casual dress that may or may not be suitable for all audiences. In this day and age, with communication being what it is, the ability to take a minute and let someone know they are coming just doesn't seem to be that onerous a responsibility for the visiting party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM

81 posts, read 72,273 times
Get one of these!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Coming to your door IS calling. To not answer your door is like not answering your phone. With that attitude, telemarketers and door-to-door salespeople can hardly make a living. Do you want them to starve or something?
yes or get a real job.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
No. In fact, this was very common practice and welcomed in my parents' generation (80's-90's). I'm from a different culture too, and as a whole, we are very family oriented. When I say family, I mean hundreds outside of the immediate family. My parents would always get visitors and when they came over, we would always have home made meals for our welcomed guests. These days, it seems very rare for such visits. That's why I would welcome people I know even if they came unannounced. Heck, when my baby died, I only got a text and Facebook message from friends who I once considered close to me. Yep, the new age for you. Isn't it great?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My brother decided he could drive up and be welcome any time he wanted without checking with me first. But the next weekend I had a house sitting job. I left early Friday night and came home Monday morning. My landlord came over and told me my brother had shown up and ended up sleeping in his car Friday and Saturday night before he drove back home. That was the last time my brother showed up without notice.
Your brother learned a valuable lesson. I myself am a loner so its very rare I get any company but every now & then someone comes a knocking on my door & I am friendly to them but I keep their visits short.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM

37 posts, read 58,154 times
I love having visitors.

That said, I find drop-ins rude. It seems to imply that you can't possibly have other plans, just like last-minute invitations. It also can be awkward if you are in the middle of something important or serious - ever have a drop-in during the middle of an intervention, or when you're on the phone with a police officer trying to track down a suicidal friend? I have. Even aside from matters like that, I'd prefer to not answer the door wrapped in a towel mid-shampoo, or when I'm in the middle of serving dinner to invited guests.

That said, that's just a generalization - if the drop-in is very skilled at judging when is or isn't a good time and makes a hasty retreat if not, that's a slightly different story.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 PM

367 posts, read 487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
No. In fact, this was very common practice and welcomed in my parents' generation (80's-90's). I'm from a different culture too, and as a whole, we are very family oriented. When I say family, I mean hundreds outside of the immediate family. My parents would always get visitors and when they came over, we would always have home made meals for our welcomed guests. These days, it seems very rare for such visits. That's why I would welcome people I know even if they came unannounced. Heck, when my baby died, I only got a text and Facebook message from friends who I once considered close to me. Yep, the new age for you. Isn't it great?
The people can call and come over and you get the same result. If some one calls I love company if not I hate it.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I find it rude that anyone i know feels they have to call first before coming over.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
it does not bother me in the least . I can get dressed quickly ,put a pot of coffee on and I always have baked goods in the house so I have something to serve my guests . my father always had something in his house to serve his guests as well and he got that from his mother who always believed in having an **** and span house and having coffee and baked goods .

Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You're supposed to be announced by their doorman or butler. If they're too poor to have one of those, it makes sense to phone them first, out of pity for their poverty.
While growing up living in poverty, we often did not have a phone. So what to do in that situation? Perhaps leave a note at the door with a later date and time you'll be dropping by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships