Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it bother you if people show up with out calling?
Yes 174 74.04%
No 61 25.96%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times

Advertisements

It never happens, but no I would not like people just dropping in. With cell phones and especially texting there is no excuse to not contact the person first. "Hey, I'm in your neighborhood, mind if I drop in? Okay, be there in 10! (or) Okay, maybe next time!" So easy to be considerate these days. I have three small children, so my house is hardly ever "guest ready" at all given times. I also spend most of the day in comfy clothes and my shower routine depends on the mood of my baby and isn't the same everyday. Maybe, MAYBE, when all my kids are older and I can clean more consistently, I would be okay with it, but until then I will close the shudders if I see you pull up unexpectedly .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:58 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I hate drop in visitors. Have the decency to call first and see if your visit is convenient. It drove me crazy when I lived in MS - the church ladies would always come (as a group) for an unannounced visit because I "was on their hearts". Please. Other times, the pastor would stop by and it's not as though these people didn't see me every Sunday at church. Being new to the community I guess they had run out of people to visit during "visitation nights". How I hated it.
OMG, this would not be acceptable to me. I would take this as an ambush. I would get a new church.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:40 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why would you want people showing up while you're doing laundry?
Because I love and delight in my friends and would rather do anything else other than fold laundry!

Honestly, this thread surprised me -- apparently we are becoming a nation of hermits.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
My neighbor and his kids, 5 and 7 came through the side gate to the back garden where we were enjoying a cocktail unannounced last evening to console us on the loss of our 17.5 y.o. dog. It was so sweet, and the kids got busy playing on the hammock, going down to feed the fish in the ponds while he and I got down to business on the 2nd floor addition I am designing for him (at a great bargain specifically to keep him and his family in my neighborhood). The other neighbors, two ladies came by with a huge bouquet of flowers in remembrance of our dog, the next door neighbor came by with her dog (buddies with mine) to say goodby the day before we put him down.

So no, I don't mind all the love and attention, drop bys, pitchers of sangria or margaritas and tamales from the cart up the street we get in our very friendly neighborhood. If I'm busy or unavailable I just say so, that's the beauty with drop bys and people who have a clue.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Because I love and delight in my friends and would rather do anything else other than fold laundry!

Honestly, this thread surprised me -- apparently we are becoming a nation of hermits.
Indeed!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Depends who it is. Closest friends never need an invitation. I mean the kind of friends who walk right in without knocking and open the fridge and take out whatever they want. And you don't mind that they do it. Those are the best kind of friends!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
I'm a person who becomes annoyed when our landline phone rings. It's an intrusion. It jars my nerves. (And no, I don't have a smart phone or a cell phone. When I'm out walking, the last thing I need is to be interrupted by buzzing, vibrating or ringing). That actually sounds sensuous in a way upon reflection, but I digress. I've been listening to old Police tunes.

For a person to show up at our door...it's a human, personal intrusion. DH doesn't seem to mind it, though. I think he welcomes the company. He finds me boring at times.

Know what happened to us the other week? A pal of ours, mainly DH's pal, showed up shortly before seven in the morning on a Sunday, and tried to open our front door. He wanted to drink beer. DH told me to tell him that he was going to lie down to take a nap, and I told this guy exactly that. He glared at me, turned on his heels, and took off on his bike. At seven in the morning! I like to drink beer on the weekends, too, but I need a couple of mugs of caffeine before I start with the beer.

I prefer our pet birds to a lot of people. They make a lot of noise, but they are gorgeous, soft and sweet and our Spiro talks.

What he says in his garbled way makes more sense than some people I know do.

Getting crabbier in my older age...

Old 09-13-2015, 10:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I hate it when people show up unannounced. I just don't answer my door if I don't want to. And I don't even look through the peep-hole to see who it is.

I learned this from a woman I met who lived in a small town, where this was not normal. She was from England and I once went to her house and knocked on her door, knowing her family was at home, and they completely ignored my knocking on the door. I could hear them inside.

She later told me that she didn't answer the door to people she wasn't expecting, no matter what, if she didn't want to, which was normally while she and her family were enjoying their time together.

At first I thought this was selfish, and then I understood that yes, it was selfish - but in a good way. We remained friends, and I started doing the same thing.

So, feel free to just ignore people who show up unannounced. And when they later say, "Hey, we came by to see you and it sure looked like you were home!", just say, "I just don't answer the door anymore to anyone I wasn't expecting, if it's not a convenient time."

They'll definitely get the hint. If they are grown-ups, they'll work within those rules, which are reasonable, BTW.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
These are people you know? Honestly I think it is rude. In the olden days people often went visiting on Sunday afternoon, and sometimes they just showed up. This was probably a country custom. But most civilized people don't do this any more. Our down time is so precious. People should call first, or simply plan to meet at a later date.

If someone I know just showed up because they were in the neighborhood or for whatever reason, I would be flabbergasted, frankly.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
We have large dogs who are excitable and really put on a show. No problem when my kids or grandkids come. They know what to expect and know the dogs love them. Would prefer other's tell us they are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships