Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:09 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,879 times

Advertisements

I've known this friend for years. Smart lady. Straight A's all through her schooling & college years. Her career of choice was being a Teacher. She had a job for a few years until the school closed down due to lack of enrollment. Since then, she had trouble finding another full-time teaching job.

Now she tells me she's working at a bar. I bit my lip keeping my mouth shut wanting to be a supportive friend. She refuses to work far from her hometown. I do know she likes to drink, meaning getting drunk every weekend.

I have to wonder if her alcoholism is a reason why she can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,034,178 times
It's possible . Is she married or does she have a partner? Some people do those kinds of jobs because they are either lonely or crave attention. It's also probably similar or possibly more money. It's fast cash and it becomes addictive. People that work in the service industry usually become a somewhat dysfunctional family. You work together,eat and hang out after your shift. There is much more social connections between employees then teaching or corporate America. It's also usually more fast paced then watching the clock tick slowly from an assembly line,desk or cubicle.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
It's possible . Is she married or does she have a partner? Some people do those kinds of jobs because they are either lonely or crave attention. It's also probably similar or possibly more money. It's fast cash and it becomes addictive. People that work in the service industry usually become a somewhat dysfunctional family. You work together,eat and hang out after your shift. There is much more social connections between employees then teaching or corporate America. It's also usually more fast paced then watching the clock tick slowly from an assembly line,desk or cubicle.
Yes, she's married to a man that's been in & out of incarceration a few times.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,034,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Yes, she's married to a man that's been in & out of incarceration a few times.
And your just now wondering why she isn't making a mature,rational.decision? I bet almost 100% she has low self esteem and doesn't want the pressure or judgment that a teaching job would include. Having a jailbird husband isn't a huge deal at the tavern but in almost any other job it would be. Especially being in a small town, his actions and her association with him is going to have a very negative influence on any kind of teaching career.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:28 PM

683 posts, read 1,886,846 times
I don't get it. You didn't say anything in your post about what it is that you think she's doing wrong. What is causing you to have to bite your tongue and not be supportive? All that because she is working at a bar?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,251,161 times
Even if it is, its her life so don't judge.

Keep on biting that there lip.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,904,871 times
Hmmm. I worked in public schools for 4 years, and it would drive anyone to drink! JK, but honestly? I had to have therapy to get over the damage it did to my hopes and dreams for the future. I have new hopes and dreams now.

I don't think you can boil her choices down to one cause or weakness. Maybe she just doesn't want to teach anymore. Maybe she hated it. Maybe she wasn't good at it and got fired. Maybe the drinking is the cause or the effect of that. Maybe her husband is the cause or effect. Regardless, you can't make assumptions about what she SHOULD be doing with her life. That isn't what support is about.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:42 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Even if it is, its her life so don't judge.

Keep on biting that there lip.
Do you really think the OP is judging her or the OP thinks she is capable of so much more for her life? That she is not reaching her full potential?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,904,871 times
I think you could say you are 'disappointed FOR your friend' once you've found out where her heart and mind is....but to say you are disappointed IN her....that's just judge-y.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
She's working at a bar and that is disappointing? She's making an honest living, and probably better than she was as a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships