Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

Buy one of these for your house.

http://www.jammerall.com/categories/Cell-Phone-Jammers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Someone needs to publish a website or book on ''Cell Phone Social Etiquette'' if they can find somone willing and able to put down the damn phone!

Better yet, send out a dinner invitation and put on it ''cell phones must be left at the door''.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
I don't think it's so much cell phones themselves as just plain horrible manners.
You'd probably find many of the same individuals engaging in other forms of poor manners- like lighting a cigarette at the table when people are eating.
Seems too many people "weren't raised to know anything."

If a person actually needs to use a phone during dinner, the person should excuse himself/herself and take it into a different room.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I honestly don't see why this bothers people so much, and to be blunt, I don't see where it's anybody's business.

Understand--at social occasions, I'm very engaging. Heck, most times, at such things, I look at my phone quite rarely. However, there are occasions where I do some glancing, and the others around me, but the thing is, we find plenty of time to actually interact with each other, and none of us are giving anyone else any totally unnecessary static and judgment. In fact, unless you're trying to have a serious talk with someone about something very serious (like you're on the verge of tears as you prepare to tell them that your husband has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has 3 months to live), I don't think anyone has any right to pester someone about them having their phone on them and doing a little glancing at it.

Really, this judgmental attitude is out of line and, frankly, bordering on being a form of discrimination analogous to racism. What's the difference between people doing this phone thing and, say, ignoring company in the room while they watch what's on television? In other venues, what's the difference in an employee glancing at their phone when they're supposed to be working vs employees huddling around the water cooler or break room chit-chatting? What's the difference between almost crashing your car due to using your phone vs almost crashing due to fumbling through your glovebox or staring at an attractive woman jogging?

There is no difference. Yet, for some reason, the non-phone scenarios are met with a shrug, while the phone-based ones are met with a scourge usually reserved for people who break wind in Buckingham Palace or something.

Please.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
It's not the phone, it's the disorder that these people suffer from. They have attention deficit disorder. Most people don't have these kinds of issues. The one's that do usually suffer from other ailments such as depression, high stress, social anxiety or a handful of others. The worst part is that people don't care to get help or change.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Perhaps that will work in your country, but in the United States, it's illegal for us to enable those. A federal crime, in fact.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I honestly don't see why this bothers people so much, and to be blunt, I don't see where it's anybody's business.

Understand--at social occasions, I'm very engaging. Heck, most times, at such things, I look at my phone quite rarely. However, there are occasions where I do some glancing, and the others around me, but the thing is, we find plenty of time to actually interact with each other, and none of us are giving anyone else any totally unnecessary static and judgment. In fact, unless you're trying to have a serious talk with someone about something very serious (like you're on the verge of tears as you prepare to tell them that your husband has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has 3 months to live), I don't think anyone has any right to pester someone about them having their phone on them and doing a little glancing at it.

Really, this judgmental attitude is out of line and, frankly, bordering on being a form of discrimination analogous to racism. What's the difference between people doing this phone thing and, say, ignoring company in the room while they watch what's on television? In other venues, what's the difference in an employee glancing at their phone when they're supposed to be working vs employees huddling around the water cooler or break room chit-chatting? What's the difference between almost crashing your car due to using your phone vs almost crashing due to fumbling through your glovebox or staring at an attractive woman jogging?

There is no difference. Yet, for some reason, the non-phone scenarios are met with a shrug, while the phone-based ones are met with a scourge usually reserved for people who break wind in Buckingham Palace or something.

Please.
put the damn phone down and hang out with your family

Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
...bordering on being a form of discrimination analogous to racism...
You win!

Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
My friends and even my dates don't break them out...............right away............if a date did that she might get a wet phone or will be paying for the check after I walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships