Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times

Advertisements

People can get really nasty with me because I don't have my phone glued to me. I don't check my email or Facebook or whatever every 10 seconds.....Brace yourself. I've actually forgotten my phone home and didn't go back for it. I work 5 minutes from my house and I still didn't go get. Somehow I didn't die! I survived without it......didn't even notice I didn't have it until I went to text my husband that I was leaving work. I was like oh yeah it's home....oh well. The world didn't end either. Amazing!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
I think that this preoccupation with electronic device gazing is definitely creating a culture of increasing loneliness.
It's affecting family interactions, social interactions, and community connectedness.
I am out walking my dogs or even riding on the bike path and most people I encounter are yacking on a phone, whether walking or riding a bike! They see nothing of the beauty of nature around them.
They can't even interact with their dogs or children who are walking with them, just pull them along as fast as they can.
I took classes a few years ago at a community college and at the class break these young people all stood around the hallway on their phones. I and a few of the others who were 40+ laughed and talked and got to know each other during the semester, but not the younger ones. Really sad.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think it's incalculable as to how much productivity is being lost to Smartphones each and every day.

I work at a LTC/Rehab facility, and the nurses rush to pass their meds, do their charting, and then enjoy a game of Candy Crush, or whatever. The aides are no different, and there's lots of hiding places where they can enjoy their toys.

I stopped for a beer one night, I was the only patron in the bar, bartender sets my glass of beer down, collects the money, and rushes to the other side of the bar to tend to his Smartphone.

What's become of the friendly bartender?

More than likely, he was assuming I'd be on my Smartphone as well. Not!
You're probably right - no way to calculate just how much productivity is lost to the attention given to smartphones. I know plenty of people that run off into dark corners or take extra bathroom breaks so they can get their info. And it's not just the direct contact with the phone - if one is thinking about what info may have popped up on their phone than they aren't as engaged as they could be.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I think that this preoccupation with electronic device gazing is definitely creating a culture of increasing loneliness.
It's affecting family interactions, social interactions, and community connectedness.
I am out walking my dogs or even riding on the bike path and most people I encounter are yacking on a phone, whether walking or riding a bike! They see nothing of the beauty of nature around them.
They can't even interact with their dogs or children who are walking with them, just pull them along as fast as they can.
I took classes a few years ago at a community college and at the class break these young people all stood around the hallway on their phones. I and a few of the others who were 40+ laughed and talked and got to know each other during the semester, but not the younger ones. Really sad.
I know, I've sort of blamed Technology for all the issues that this has caused, though on the other hand, being able to do research and such is of value. It is the WAY things have developed to have psychologically influenced some to feel it is all-important, that is a problem. It bothers me that some would pay no attention to their pet or child, being so busy with...nothing. Those generations were not influenced otherwise, so they have just gone full-force, as if they respond to one element, almost hypnotically. I don't know how anyone develops social skills or has relationships, this way. I recall thinking that there should have been firm laws set up initially with phones, instead of trying to later backtrack in regards to conversing / texting while driving. Having relied upon users to have common sense, we've seen what has occurred.

Now, I visit CD often and feel it is more about writing. Not being out and about as much now, I have the desire to be involved, but if adding comments on sites, I opt out of "alerts", which I don't want or need. I only email those close, too. If I am with others, I wouldn't want to be bothered with distractions, as others are. My phone is really for an emergency, not for catching up while walking around a market with an empty basket, being in others' way while chatting.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
I have a love/hate relationship with my smart phone. I have thought about smashing it but then what would I do? It's so convienent at times.

I quit facebook and my life changed for the better. It is much more pleasant reconnecting with friends after a while without having known every little thing they've done since you have seen them last. Maybe I'd also feel happier without my smart phone?

Anyways, I would love to kill my smart phone. However, for example if I am working on my truck I can whip out the phone and watch a YouTube video of a guy making the exact same repair in real time step by step. One of many examples.

Anytime I enter an awkward social situation, I am guilty of busting out the smart phone and checking city data. I don't even know why, sort of like an engrained habit. Now only if I could learn some self control...

Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
I want one!

http://www.jammerfromchina.com/produ...e_Blocker.html

Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
In fact I may buy a bunch and rent them out.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I live near a resort where paid parking is paramount. The new meters do not take debit cards etc, (it has the card slot blocked) The change machines are blocks away and many don't work. What these meters request is for the driver to download a mobile app in order to pay the meter. This does have advantages in that sitting in a restaurant for example one only has to pay through their smart phone. However, I'm not using Data on my phone, and I surely don't feel like downloading apps while meter maids are eyeballing me. I swear at every meter paying junction a crowd of people where scratching their heads, walking in circles, staring at their phones.
Ugh, I would not want to be involved in that either.

Something a bit different, but related that I found bothersome was, when preparing for Surgery, the facility had recommended filling out all personal info on a site, so all my history / records would be available in an online system for access. I know this benefits them (having been sold them this service), but I felt I did not want to do so. When I arrived the day of my surgery, they did not seem happy I had not done so, but had filled out paperwork, instead. When witnessing another patient arriving who was asked if she had done this who replied "Yes", the counter person said "GOOD for YOU!" I whispered to my sister, "THAT lady gets points".

Technology has been helpful, but it has also created unnecessary crapola and problems.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 AM

327 posts, read 398,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

(not my family just a picture I grabbed off the net)

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
100 percent agree. Our culture is going to crap. Cell phones, tattoos, people that can't smile anymore.

weird world.

and we should be happy, not sad, when our number is up.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I have a smart phone, however, I've turned the DATA off. I'm not willing to pay an extra $100 a month for nonsense, and to hell with texting. If I want to access the net when I'm not at home on my computer or work, I can access WIFI at no extra cost at many establishments. To me its a phone not a keyboard, needed when I'm on the road.
I agree. I had gotten an AT&T Smart phone, retaining my "Go Phone" service paid for yearly, do not pay for a Data Plan using WI-FI at home or elsewhere if necessary, and don't require texting. I'm happy. Just as cell phone plans and contracts are sold, I think many believe their only option is a "Bundle" from cable companies, which is not necessary. (I've seen others unhappy, having TV, Internet and phone service die all at once, with U-Verse). I have separate cable from one, Internet and a (discounted) landline from another.

All of these "conditioned needs" have contributed to more expense that we have all been affected by to a greater or lesser degree and no wonder many are unable to manage or move away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships