Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 PM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times

Advertisements

Our government never approves any new invention unless they're going to benefit from it, in some form or another, and it's nothing more than having a spy in your pocket at all times. I don't take it with me on my walks, or my bike rides, so for that period of time, the Government has no idea where I am! What a nice vacation from being spied on!

Any number of nights, on my walks, it would be nice to say hello to someone else walking about, and how many have their faces buried in their screens, and dare you to interrupt them with a Hello!

At work, I now avoid those who have rudely interrupted me, during a conversation, when they're beeped, and right during a sentence, they cut you off to bury their faces in their screens.

It will all come to pass some day, counting on that wise old saying: Nothing succeeds like excess!

And what shall replace this addiction? Ah, let's see! Simple pleasures are the last refuge of the complex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,959,037 times
This is exactly why I (rather young person) never let myself become fully engaged in the tech world. The techiest thing I do is maybe text a few times per week or use my phone's GPS to get somewhere.

Between console gaming, gaming apps, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, texting, Pandora, Netflix/Hulu, etc, etc - people just don't seem fully engaged in the world like they once were. A lot of friends spend most of their free time doing the things I listed or lusting after/working for/researching the hardware that allows them to do it (new games, new consoles, TVs, newest smartphones, computers, modifying hardware, etc). What's a topic that usually comes up for discussion when we're together? Probably some new gadget. And I hate the 30 minute verbal orgasm about how awesome some new piece of tech is. I also hate how something like a few hours of basketball can be constantly interrupted by annoying ringtones, sending a quick text or checking a score. Wasn't there a day when people did stuff while being fully engaged in what they were doing and the people around them? I'm thinking there must have been some perks to going somewhere with almost no chance of someone contacting you electronically.

I don't know why, but it feels like a disgusting way to live. It's almost like spending too much time with tech can cause one to not fully experience all the layers of life. I'm reminded of the Good Will Hunting park scene where Robin Williams talks about the difference between knowing facts/data and actually smelling smells and seeing things with your own eyes.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 09-15-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,681,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

(not my family just a picture I grabbed off the net)

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
I don't like it either. I am not hanging out with young people, but can still be the case with family members who are not that age. I will wonder, why is something another mentioned on FB or taking a turn in a game, having precedence over actually visiting and conversing? I personally just never got into the habit of using my phone everywhere - I don't care and my lifestyle doesn't demand that I constantly be connected. On the other hand, my thing has been visiting CD regularly or doing research, mostly from my iPad, while watching TV. (I detest FB and enjoy this because it is more expressive and "conversational"). I like a land line, where I can relax and comfortably enjoy a clear-sounding conversation at home.

While in a waiting room with people of various ages and seeing all of them whip out their phones (similar image to the photo used), I looked at the guy next to me who wasn't doing so and asked, "So, where is your phone?", to which we both laughed. I think that it is mostly younger people who are so entrenched in this with no one relating to anything older people might, like liking a land line. I can't relate to phone and Internet usage being tolerated at work either, since when working, we were barely allowed to joke with a coworker, let alone able to check personal messages all day.

I will say, as a teen I was always talking on my "Princess" phone, so I suppose if I were that age today, I would be no different, but being able to see the contrast, it is odd. It is all anyone knows to do anymore and is rather robotic, typically seeing this scene everywhere, causing known problems and affects real communication, despite "being connected". Where will it end up?

Last edited by In2itive_1; 09-16-2015 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 03:03 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,691,855 times

Old 09-16-2015, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
hi am new here glad to meet you all

Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 AM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
I am expecting my first grandchild in the spring. My son and pregnant daughter in law use their phones quite often, texting, reading emails, etc.

Their faces aren't buried into their phones a LOT, but it has started me wondering... how many babies and young children get neglected with little to no interaction or eye contact any more, because mommy and daddy aren't paying attention to them? Will parents spend the most important time of a child's life on the phone, on the computer or Ipad?

What is this going to do to children socially? What about their mental health from lack of interaction?

I have also come to the conclusion that when all these young people with cell phones grow older, Chiropractors are going to make a killing with all the arthritis created from cell phones... with sore necks from looking down, shoulders hunched, thumbs punching keypads, etc. Maybe the human race will eventually evolve into being hunched over, with bent necks and deformed hands...

Technology is wonderful, and I wonder what we ever did without our cellphones for important, immediate communication rather than trying to find a pay phone, but it is possibly going to change us socially, physically and mentally?

Old 09-16-2015, 04:28 AM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times
I think it's incalculable as to how much productivity is being lost to Smartphones each and every day.

I work at a LTC/Rehab facility, and the nurses rush to pass their meds, do their charting, and then enjoy a game of Candy Crush, or whatever. The aides are no different, and there's lots of hiding places where they can enjoy their toys.

I stopped for a beer one night, I was the only patron in the bar, bartender sets my glass of beer down, collects the money, and rushes to the other side of the bar to tend to his Smartphone.

What's become of the friendly bartender?

More than likely, he was assuming I'd be on my Smartphone as well. Not!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:03 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,681,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I am expecting my first grandchild in the spring. My son and pregnant daughter in law use their phones quite often, texting, reading emails, etc.

Their faces aren't buried into their phones a LOT, but it has started me wondering... how many babies and young children get neglected with little to no interaction or eye contact any more, because mommy and daddy aren't paying attention to them? Will parents spend the most important time of a child's life on the phone, on the computer or Ipad?

What is this going to do to children socially? What about their mental health from lack of interaction?

I have also come to the conclusion that when all these young people with cell phones grow older, Chiropractors are going to make a killing with all the arthritis created from cell phones... with sore necks from looking down, shoulders hunched, thumbs punching keypads, etc. Maybe the human race will eventually evolve into being hunched over, with bent necks and deformed hands...

Technology is wonderful, and I wonder what we ever did without our cellphones for important, immediate communication rather than trying to find a pay phone, but it is possibly going to change us socially, physically and mentally?
Yes, I think it has already proven to have had a negative affect. It has begun been promoted recently, the idea that if parents do not interact consistently enough with children during the first three years of life, it has a negative affect on their mental and emotional growth. Though always having been the case, how many have already been affected in recent years, being subjected to this sort of neglect?

I have thought too, that Chiropractors and other Doctors will be busier, due to these physical factors. In addition, it has been said to have become responsible for developing wrinkles, early.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:30 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
What's the difference between almost crashing your car due to using your phone vs almost crashing due to fumbling through your glovebox or staring at an attractive woman jogging?
You leave attractive jogging women out of this!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 AM

53 posts, read 48,444 times
I've had an Iphone since they were introduced. I use it. What I won't do is fade into the phone right in the middle of a face to face conversation with you. When cell phones started rising in popularity this crap started and the ignorance of it was immediately apparent...well, to at least a few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships