Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yes.

What I said in my first post that some of these fine posters have missed, is that I'm not tethered to my phone, and I actually leave it in my car while I'm at work.

Last night, I had my phone away, and didn't respond to texts or calls, only responded to a couple of work emails that, SHE noted and responded to the necessary ones. If I'm getting a work email at that hour of the evening/night, I should probably at least read it. Like you said, just because I'm not a surgeon, doesn't mean it isn't important for me to be available to clients and have push notifications of my work email, particularly in commercial real estate.

I do understand it can be annoying in certain situations, but I'm amazed how so many of these posters are truly so concerned what with other people do, like they don't have their own in their life to worry about.
I understand man I know and network with CRBs' and they are $$$ only no base salary and have to cover a lot of their own expenses so yeah if I am looking at your 20 mil blng and I say go you best answer right now or I might call the other guy at CBRE or Voit because he is damn hungry and working commission only too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I understand man I know and network with CRBs' and they are $$$ only no base salary and have to cover a lot of their own expenses so yeah if I am looking at your 20 mil blng and I say go you best answer right now or I might call the other guy at CBRE or Voit because he is damn hungry and working commission only too.
This guy gets it. Good post. To some, that person's job may not be important, but to that particular person it is, because it could be a life-changing decision, especially if they have a family to provide for.

The only ridiculous people in this thread are the ones who are telling complete strangers what to do in their personal and professional lives and that their jobs aren't important because they aren't saving someone's life. They're being demanding and telling people (especially younger generations) how to live based on their ways and opinions.

This thread went from posters talking about people being tethered to their phone 24/7 (fair discussion topic) to telling people to turn their phone off completely anytime they're around someone with a pulse, just because it's not important to said posters.

Oh, and I'm just going to leave this here.

Police: Text Saves Kidnapped Woman's Life

But hey everyone, remember to turn and keep your phone off when you're in public, at all times.

Gotta love C-D.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:03 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I honestly don't see why this bothers people so much, and to be blunt, I don't see where it's anybody's business.

Understand--at social occasions, I'm very engaging. Heck, most times, at such things, I look at my phone quite rarely. However, there are occasions where I do some glancing, and the others around me, but the thing is, we find plenty of time to actually interact with each other, and none of us are giving anyone else any totally unnecessary static and judgment. In fact, unless you're trying to have a serious talk with someone about something very serious (like you're on the verge of tears as you prepare to tell them that your husband has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has 3 months to live), I don't think anyone has any right to pester someone about them having their phone on them and doing a little glancing at it.

Really, this judgmental attitude is out of line and, frankly, bordering on being a form of discrimination analogous to racism. What's the difference between people doing this phone thing and, say, ignoring company in the room while they watch what's on television? In other venues, what's the difference in an employee glancing at their phone when they're supposed to be working vs employees huddling around the water cooler or break room chit-chatting? What's the difference between almost crashing your car due to using your phone vs almost crashing due to fumbling through your glovebox or staring at an attractive woman jogging?

There is no difference. Yet, for some reason, the non-phone scenarios are met with a shrug, while the phone-based ones are met with a scourge usually reserved for people who break wind in Buckingham Palace or something.

Please.
Racism? Oh, puh-leeze. No -- it's called "manners". If you are in a social setting where engaging in face-to-face interactions is expected, it is rude to dismiss someone you are talking with by continually glancing at a phone. It says a clear message: "You are boring/I'm tired of you/You are uninteresting/You mean nothing to me" It's almost impossible to multi-task social interactons successfully. Something is going to get shortchanged. Unfortunately, there are a lot of teenagers and 20-somethings that are socially awkward, poor at picking up on social nuances and have poorly developed conversational skills because they bury their noses in a hand-held screen instead of actually interacting with ther fellow humans.

You're not getting any static, because everyone around you is being equally rude. A roomful of rude people does not equal acceptable. So if I am "discriminating", then it's against rude people. The other items you mention -- watching TV in front of company -- is ALSO rude. As far as driving a car -- ANYTHING that you allow to distract you from the serious business of driving a ton or so of metal and fiberglass at high speed is dangerous, whether it's checking your text messages or oogling girls.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's amazing to me how many people don't seem to realize that iPhones come with an off button, and that it won't void your warrantee if you actually use it.
Just like the tv; just turn it off. Do we really need to be "tethered," to all this "stuff?" Reading a good book, or just trying to figure things out on our own......what a concept. Try it for just a day or a week. Taking a walk without turning on your phone. DRIVING, without turning on your phone..........

Old 09-19-2015, 06:46 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I agree... I have an iPhone as well. To be honest though, it's overkill for me. I need to check email on it, and I have a few useful apps like American Airlines, our internet camera network, barcode reader, etc. I have FB on it, but didn't bother downloading the messanger part of it.

Older people (30's and up) aren't tethered to their phones nearly as much as teens and 20-somethings. So I don't have a huge problem with groups of friends texting constantly, they'll just check their phones occasionally, then put them away. In contrast, I've seen teens all in a group huddled over their phones and never look up at each other for 15 minutes straight.

The "futuristic book" {when it came out} 1984 included the computer telling the subject when it was time to go out to the fence for face time and conversation with the neighbor. The neighbor's computer told him the same. It is now SO TRUE.

I CANNOT stand people at work, especially cashiers, who are glued to the phones. Unfortunately the younger managers now do the same thing! Talk about RUDE!

I watched a young woman pause, phone in hand, stop to verbally chat with someone and the thumbs were still "texting in the air" every word she said out loud!

I think it will be the downfall of human kind, as there will be no physical interaction unless their phones tell them too or they can "text their love"...!!!!

{{of note: The word "texting" above and here is highlighted for spelling. I am sure it is correct, but apparently the spell-check program is NOT with the times!}}

sheesh

Old 09-19-2015, 07:35 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I am sick of people texting and driving. When you see a car having trouble staying in their lane, and driving 10-20 mph in a 35 mph zone, you know when you pull next to them they are going to be on their phone. It's ridiculous.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Long thread already. I'm sure there are similar threads here by others about smartphones. I think this trend of relying on technology has been around way too long and extends beyond smart phone usage. Many of us rely on modern technology way too much, myself included. Sometimes the convenience of the small gadgets are hard to beat.

I really like using the internet and I know I am on it way too much as it is. Moderation is key as it is with anything. I prefer most of my interaction with others using a laptop or desktop. Nearly all my social media is on a desktop. I don't care about having all that social media or multi-media crap on a smartphone, no big deal.

I haven't been a fan of smartphones mostly because of how much they cost and using touch screens just annoy me overall as these types of phone seem more flimsy and not as durable for usage than the old fashioned flip phones or feature phones with a slide keyboard. I generally do not like talking on the phone for extended periods of times. I need a decent cell since I have no landline. I do not keep up with the phone all the time as I do not care to take calls in the middle of the night and so on. I usually turn my cell off during the night.

For my personal cell, I had a feature phone (an in between dumb and smart phone for over 4 years) with a slide keyboard to type on for texting. The feature phone worked great but was definitely very outdated. I recently got a cheaper smartphone on a prepaid plan. I still cannot stand just using a screen to touch or type. Keeping up with a stylus isn't always convenient. I do like looking up where something online is if I am out and unsure where I am and some other conveniences. If I had a landline, I would probably just have another feature phone as a personal cell to save $$.

I do get very annoyed if I am out with friends or family and they have to be glued to their phone. I find that behavior rude and it is not limited to the younger set either, I see a lot of middle-aged people engrossed by their phones during socializing. As I said earlier, all this technology use is a balance. Some people do not seem to have manners when using their phones or other convenient technology around other people.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I am sick of people texting and driving. When you see a car having trouble staying in their lane, and driving 10-20 mph in a 35 mph zone, you know when you pull next to them they are going to be on their phone. It's ridiculous.
It's probably ATG5 making big deals. Don't bother him. He's liable to go all Trump on you.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Just like the tv; just turn it off. Do we really need to be "tethered," to all this "stuff?" Reading a good book, or just trying to figure things out on our own......what a concept. Try it for just a day or a week. Taking a walk without turning on your phone. DRIVING, without turning on your phone..........
I could turn the TV off...but I usually have it on when I'm at home just for background noise. I fall asleep to the TV (I cannot fall asleep to silence - never could. I remember falling asleep listening to my clock radio playing as a child). Sleep timers are wonderful things. Oh and I read too...I've read around 4,000 pages in the last 3 months, all for pleasure.

I walk daily with my phone....it tracks my mileage and records my routes - MapMyWalk. (It's also my safety net - what would I do if I needed help 5 miles from home and did not have my phone?)
I drive with my phone as the GPS. It verbally tells me where to turn, how far things are, etc. It's more accurate than my Garmin. It alerts me to real time traffic.
I have my phone in my pocket at all times. It's on, but often on vibrate so a ring won't disturb, at all times.

I have children (adults, yes, but once a mom, always a mom) whom I want to be available to at all times.
I have an elderly father who lives alone who may need to contact me (and has).
I have elderly in-laws who may need to contact me (and they have).
I have a weather alert app that alerts me to severe weather.
I keep my schedule/calendar on my phone. (very handy when making plans for something, since my work hours can be ....interesting.)
I can access my security system on my phone so I know what's happening at home when I'm not there.
I keep all my lists (grocery, plans, to-do, etc.) on my phone.
Camera!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's probably ATG5 making big deals. Don't bother him. He's liable to go all Trump on you.
Whatever makes you feel cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships