Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,983,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You know, the older ones in my family (I'm in my early 20s, so I'm talking my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) like to criticize my cousins and I for using our phones so much. "You always have your heads buried in your phones," "what would you guys do without technology?", "look at you, you're all on your phones. No one's even talking to each other," "this is a disgrace."

My response? Well, thank your own - your generation created this technology. It sure as hell wasn't mine. I was in middle school when the first iPhone was released, IMO effectively changing the game forever when it comes to phones and computer technology. I got my first iPod in late elementary school, I believe. We're just benefitting from the same generation who criticizes us's inventions. Don't judge us for something we can't control. We were kids when this stuff was invented and first released. My very first cell phone in 6th grade was some dumb little flip phone, like everyone else's, but damn, I loved that thing. It wasn't a fellow 6th grader who came up with the idea of a smartphone.

They usually shut up after that.
That is the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard for behaving rudely toward others. You CAN control your actions. It's called having manners. People do it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,778,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
She was over once when I saw her take her phone with her to the bathroom!
Do you provide reading materials in your bathroom?

Do you ever take a newspaper or a book or a magazine into the bathroom while you do your business?

My phone is always in my pocket. Always. I'm not always looking at it, but I want to be available for my kids, my father, my in-laws.

One time....ONE TIME....I left my phone at home when I went to work. That was the day my college-age son got really sick while at school. He needed some information about doctors, insurance, etc., and I was unreachable for 9 hours. Not acceptable when it comes to my family.

I do some freelance work as well, and many of my clients communicate via text, so it is a money-maker for me.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,012,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard for behaving rudely toward others. You CAN control your actions. It's called having manners. People do it all the time.
I don't mean control myself, I mean control the production of the technology.

I am not rude, but thanks for your opinion.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,448 times
Someone mentioned the technology controlling us instead of us controlling it, and that is a very good point.
Also fits in with the nature of ''addiction'' as I illustrated before.
It's all in how you use it...

Old 09-22-2015, 12:13 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Yeah, but...............don't be so attached to your I-phone. Take a breath. If you miss a call or a text; deal with it later. We were given brains to THINK with. Turn off your communication links and look around. Explore, check out the scene near you. Use the technology; don't let technology use you!
But that's the thing -- I can remember having a "discussion" about cell phone use and texting in cars and how I thought it was a really bad thing. The other person was heatedly FOR it, because it's no different than having someone sit next to you. At that time someone was texting her, but she was caught in the moment arguing with me and not answering. Ding! Ding! Ding! constantly...

Finally she grabbed her phone and furiously texted back and then turned off her phone.

I looked at her said -- if someone is sitting next to you and you have to react to an emergency, the person next to you also knows and shuts up. The person on the phone doesn't know and keeps it up, waiting for an answer, distracting you.

If we had been in a car, we would be injured.

I'd like to think she'd gotten it.... but I doubt it.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Do you ever take a newspaper or a book or a magazine into the bathroom while you do your business?

My phone is always in my pocket. Always. I'm not always looking at it, but I want to be available for my kids, my father, my in-laws.

One time....ONE TIME....I left my phone at home when I went to work. That was the day my college-age son got really sick while at school. He needed some information about doctors, insurance, etc., and I was unreachable for 9 hours. Not acceptable when it comes to my family.

I do some freelance work as well, and many of my clients communicate via text, so it is a money-maker for me.
Since my cell phone is the one I answer -- my landline isn't my primary phone -- it is with me, pretty much from room to room, since my hearing isn't what it used to be. I always think it's funny -- in a hundred years (give or take a few) we have gone from no phone to one central phone in the area to every house having a phone to practically every room having a phone, down to one phone but you get to carry that with you everywhere.

Seems a little backwards... and yet not at the same time.

Since I don't have a smart phone -- not in the bathroom, thank you.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But that's the thing -- I can remember having a "discussion" about cell phone use and texting in cars and how I thought it was a really bad thing. The other person was heatedly FOR it, because it's no different than having someone sit next to you. At that time someone was texting her, but she was caught in the moment arguing with me and not answering. Ding! Ding! Ding! constantly...

Finally she grabbed her phone and furiously texted back and then turned off her phone.

I looked at her said -- if someone is sitting next to you and you have to react to an emergency, the person next to you also knows and shuts up. The person on the phone doesn't know and keeps it up, waiting for an answer, distracting you.

If we had been in a car, we would be injured.

I'd like to think she'd gotten it.... but I doubt it.
Kids don't shut up. The radio doesn't shut up.

I'd like to think that if I am reacting to an emergency, steering and braking to avoid a collision, I'm not going to be the least bit distracted by whether the phone rings or buzzes or not. Or whether passengers shut up or not. Or whether the radio keeps playing or not.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Kids don't shut up. The radio doesn't shut up.

I'd like to think that if I am reacting to an emergency, steering and braking to avoid a collision, I'm not going to be the least bit distracted by whether the phone rings or buzzes or not. Or whether passengers shut up or not. Or whether the radio keeps playing or not.
So you don't think texting and driving is dangerous? There have been many studies and most show it as more dangerous than driving under the influence.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,324,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

Amen, indeed.

I've always been a bathroom reader, and I've also always been one to read while eating. I used to take magazines with me during the day so I could read when I was eating lunch, and I kept magazines in the bathroom. So, for me, doing the same now via the phone is old hat, the same old song and dance really.

I agree completely about reachability with respect to family. Such is why I scoff at places of work acting like cell phones are the devil. Nonsense. Granted, there's work to be done and a focus on work needs to be maintained, but to think that someone is supposed to go all day and be unreachable except for breaks is just silly. Further, to think that they should give family their work phone number and leave their cell phone in their locker etc--that is also silly. You'd think a company would be grateful at someone not tying up company phone lines for personal business, and I find employees can handle the calls quicker when they go straight to them vs going to a company phone and someone having to stop their work to play message taker and relay person, and then the employee call back later. Besides, it makes it easier for schools etc to not have to remember so many numbers.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,171,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I think it really comes down to personality and preferences, despite age. My sister is as described, pretty wrapped up in it. You could have been describing her, exactly. She was over once when I saw her take her phone with her to the bathroom! Her devices are basically attached to her at all times and barely acknowledges those around her.. I dislike it. Though my thing is to visit CD regularly when home, she said she "could never be bothered with that", but is always connected to FB, playing games, emails - all day, every day.
YES! I forgot about the taking the Smartphone to the bathroom - how can people do that? I understand reading material in the bathroom, of course, you want to make the most of your "time" there, but your Smartphone? We have a rule in our family that any reading material that goes into the bathroom stays there and when you're finished with that magazine, newspaper, whatever it goes right into the recycling bin. Taking your smartphone into the bathroom and then putting it in your purse or putting it on a kitchen table is not a very nice thought. I also heard about people dropping their phones accidentally into the toilet and it happens frequently - well, that about destroys it and even if it's not destroyed, the ick factor...hope that at least the toilet was flushed first before the phone went in. I wouldn't want it anymore if it was the other way around.

People are so attached to their phones now and they even sleep with them. I don't like to have my phone near my bed anymore because I am tempted to read the news and at that point, I'm usually sleepy and half dozing away. I've had several accidents where the phone fell on my face and it's not pleasant at all. I try to keep my phone in a different room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships