Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 02:38 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Here's the thing, though - if you get a smart-phone, are you forced to get Internet on all of them? I have a pseudo-smart-phone right now, and I got this over three years ago. It's got limited Internet capability, but I don't have Internet on there. I also can text, but I don't do texts either (I've actually blocked texts from the phone). I basically just use this to make calls, and that's it.
When I got mine I really did not care to go online with it, so I got some bare bones data plan, it gave me about 5 minutes of internet, lol. But my bill did not change that much either. To me the smart phone was worth the price even without internet just due to talk to text, the greatest thing ever for people who hate texting and typing on a phone. Also for the reminders and for Siri she's like a secretary. I can say "At 4:00 remind me to call my mother" and she will... If I'm cooking I can just say to her "Set the timer for 35 minutes" and just magically the timer is set for 35 minutes. It is also worth it for the camera and as a music player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

(not my family just a picture I grabbed off the net)

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
I see this every day at work during breaks and lunch. NObody talks to one another anymore, or very few/little, because they all have their faces in their phones. It does get old. I guess I can be glad I don't go to family dinners!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:40 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I see this every day at work during breaks and lunch. NObody talks to one another anymore, or very few/little, because they all have their faces in their phones. It does get old.
If evolution is true and the term "life finds a way" has some merit, might it be plausible that future newborn babies will emerge from their mother's womb clutching a smart phone? I mean, as we have learned from our world of drones, smart phones are just as much a necessity as air, water, food and shelter. I mean, who would have dreamed just ten years ago that a piece of plastic could possibly replace SO MANY human minds and create SO MANY ignorant and narcissistic morons?

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 09-20-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 PM

507 posts, read 442,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Welcome to the new connected world.
More like disconnected.

I live in an area where there are a lot of young people. I see them practically walk into each other, walk into oncoming traffic, walk into parked cars, trip over things, nearly fall down the escalators/stairs in the Metro, etc., because they have their noses in their phones as they walk down the street. I guess they'll have plenty of time to stare at their phones in the hospital after they get hit by a car. That's if the hospital admits them when they show up without an insurance card because some thief lifted their wallets. It's like a pickpocket's paradise around here. But if you say something to them like "head's up" because they nearly walk into you while you're lugging your groceries and can't dance around them (because they don't walk in straight lines, either), OMG! The offensiveness of it!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:32 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
More like disconnected.

I live in an area where there are a lot of young people. I see them practically walk into each other, walk into oncoming traffic, walk into parked cars, trip over things, nearly fall down the escalators/stairs in the Metro, etc., because they have their noses in their phones as they walk down the street. I guess they'll have plenty of time to stare at their phones in the hospital after they get hit by a car. That's if the hospital admits them when they show up without an insurance card because some thief lifted their wallets. It's like a pickpocket's paradise around here. But if you say something to them like "head's up" because they nearly walk into you while you're lugging your groceries and can't dance around them (because they don't walk in straight lines, either), OMG! The offensiveness of it!
I work on a college campus and I see that all the time, too. And thieves know that it's easy pickings, so they can walk up to an unsuspecting person staring at their screen, and yoink! run off with stuff. Happens all the time.

I was talking with a friend yesterday, and she said she got a message from an acquaintance that was like, "Hey I saw you at wherever yesterday, how are you doing?" So, rather than actually come up to her and ask how she was doing at the event, this person waited until she got home and sent a Facebook message.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
If evolution is true and the term "life finds a way" has some merit, might it be plausible that future newborn babies will emerge from their mother's womb clutching a smart phone? I mean, as we have learned from our world of drones, smart phones are just as much a necessity as air, water, food and shelter. I mean, who would have dreamed just ten years ago that a piece of plastic could possibly replace SO MANY human minds and create SO MANY ignorant and narcissistic morons?
Good gosh, what a thought! Sometimes it's kind of scary to try to imagine what's coming down the pike.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
More like disconnected.

This is another of my pet peeves! People who leave a store, don't look left nor right or even straight ahead, because they are looking at their phones. They KNOW they have the right of way and so they trust US to not run over them, I guess. This is why, when I leave work every day, I go out the BACK entrance!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 PM

507 posts, read 442,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was talking with a friend yesterday, and she said she got a message from an acquaintance that was like, "Hey I saw you at wherever yesterday, how are you doing?" So, rather than actually come up to her and ask how she was doing at the event, this person waited until she got home and sent a Facebook message.
Now that is just pitiful.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:34 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I have an ''ex friend'' who is in her 60s and is so wrapped up in Facebook and texting that she will not talk on the phone.
She refuses to accept calls or call when invited to via text. It's Facebook, text, or email only for her.
It is so aggravating that I told her the last time that I interacted with her on text and she declined an invitation to have a phone conversation, that I will no longer be attempting to reach out to her in friendship.
She lives 1.5 hours away and I have not seen her in 5 years or heard her voice in 3 years.
She just has ''no time to talk on the phone'' and is retired with no grand-children or children.
I've known her all my life. We were raised as siblings, almost. I'll be damned if I understand this mentality.
I guess I'll learn of her or her mom's demise on freakin' Facebook! Now that is sad!
So it's not only the ''younger generation'' caught up in all this tech stuff to the exclusion of face to face interaction or phone conversation.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 09-21-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
You know, the older ones in my family (I'm in my early 20s, so I'm talking my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) like to criticize my cousins and I for using our phones so much. "You always have your heads buried in your phones," "what would you guys do without technology?", "look at you, you're all on your phones. No one's even talking to each other," "this is a disgrace."

My response? Well, thank your own - your generation created this technology. It sure as hell wasn't mine. I was in middle school when the first iPhone was released, IMO effectively changing the game forever when it comes to phones and computer technology. I got my first iPod in late elementary school, I believe. We're just benefitting from the same generation who criticizes us's inventions. Don't judge us for something we can't control. We were kids when this stuff was invented and first released. My very first cell phone in 6th grade was some dumb little flip phone, like everyone else's, but damn, I loved that thing. It wasn't a fellow 6th grader who came up with the idea of a smartphone.

They usually shut up after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships