Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Some day you're going to realize that I don't care about your opinion, dear random person on the internet, whom I don't know or doesn't sign my paychecks.

Hopefully that some day will be to-day.

Excuse me, need to go get ready for my date with that "chick".

@PeachSalsa, mine's charged up and ready to go!
Get it young Gunner! Show these obsessed cell phone haters something.

As for me, I'll care about others opinion on how I use my phone when they pay the bill every month and not a second before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
My biggest gripe with smart phones is all the stuff they can do actually tethers people to their JOBS. Most of the people my age are also more senior at their jobs and as such, with smart phones, they are on the clock ALL THE TIME. I've had more than a few people even tell me during their vacations something happened and they were called for telephone conferences.

Like the people calling 911 because Facebook was down, in reality, there is very little that is truly an emergency.... or anyone who is SO irreplaceable that they HAVE to be there... but the "convenience" of the smart phone and its capabilities mean that everything is now a hell fired emergency that has to be attended to RIGHT NOW and only by the ONE PERSON!!! panic panic panic. It's SO unnecessary... and people don't seem to understand how seductive and easy to say yeah, okay, I can do that.... and give up more time to work.... we've already pretty given up the 40 hour work week, and now -- with no extra pay, you get to work 24/7.... all thanks to a smart phone.

Makes me happy we own a janitorial company. And yes -- I've had to tell clients that someone dropping a candy bar wrapper on the floor on the weekend is not an emergency, and if they consider it one, they will have to pay me 250 bucks to come and pick it up.... no one has taken me up on it.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:19 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's not an opinion. It's the truth.
Work is not the place find meaning and fulfillment.
One day you're gone and no one will care.

You'll find this out when you get older and get some perspective.

I am not saying you shouldn't work hard and give your best, etc.
But you should never pick work over people.
Um, no, that is YOUR opinion on YOUR situation.

I find great meaning and fulfillment in my job.

In fact, last night, I spent the evening out WITH SOME OF MY COWORKERS! We had a wonderful time. Someone who had retired a few years ago also was there, and we all miss her terribly.

We all seem pretty happy and fulfilled by our jobs. You see, some of actually LIKE our jobs AND the people we work with, so much so that we sometimes go out together (as a group with spouses or significant others if applicable) on the weekends.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
A couple of observations:

-Though I don't have a smart-phone/I-phone, I have appreciated when others who have them have looked up directions for me using their I-phones. This typically happens when I'm on vacation & am sight-seeing. In any case, people with these phones have been very generous with their time, and I appreciate that.

That being said,

-What concerns me about the ever-increasing use of these I-phones/smart-phones is that in the future, everyone will be expected to have one and those of us who don't won't be able to do our business without one. For example: I take public transport where I live, and I have already seen people with their tickets on their I-phones. People also pay for things using their phones. People presumably also have their car insurance info. on their phones. Well, what about those of us who want to continue paying using our credit cards, etc.? My point is that I hope that those of us who don't have smart phones won't be forced to get them eventually....

Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's the thing, too, where people don't know anyone's phone number. So if they lost their phone, or it died or whatever, they couldn't call anyone to help even with a borrowed phone. People don't have landlines and there are no such things as phone books anymore, either.
Sure they could, contacts lists are stored "in the cloud" these days.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

While you have some very valid reasons, as the poster you quoted said try doing some of your own thinking.

I bolded the part where you can do some of that.

It would be interesting to see if the lack of thinking due to smart phones will be tied into Alzheimers and dementia, because keeping your mind active and having to use your brain has been shown to reduce those issues.

Some younger people can't read maps, I find that not only sad but pathetic.

I was out with someone the other day who was shouting at their phone to dial a number, the time they spent doing that they could have just dialed the number, the phone misunderstood them and was dialing someone else.

And in your case if you drop your phone or there is glitch in the service, you're screwed as you rely too much on it, don't always assume that everything is always going to work as is.
Just an FYI, I couldn't read maps well even before GPS, because I don't have good spatial skills. In any case, I wouldn't be able to read a map while driving unless I drove with my reading glasses on which would not be safe. Before GPS/Smart Phone, I would print out directions online, then have to keep looking at them while I was driving to see where to turn and when...much less safe than the nice lady who now announces "in 100 feet, turn left on Main Street".

Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just an FYI, I couldn't read maps well even before GPS, because I don't have good spatial skills. In any case, I wouldn't be able to read a map while driving unless I drove with my reading glasses on which would not be safe. Before GPS/Smart Phone, I would print out directions online, then have to keep looking at them while I was driving to see where to turn and when...much less safe than the nice lady who now announces "in 100 feet, turn left on Main Street".
Agree with GPS - I don't drive enough to need this, but if I did - especially if I were driving places that were unfamiliar - this would be extremely useful. I do also agree that it is extremely awkward to have to read a map/directions if you're driving - especially if you're driving alone. This is awkward, dangerous, and difficult.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
... My point is that I hope that those of us who don't have smart phones won't be forced to get them eventually....
That's already happening. When my beloved magenta Razr flip phone died, I went to buy another flip phone. With my job, a flip phone is perfect, because I carry it in my pocket with two or three bunches of keys and a flat faced phone would get mangled in no time.

There I was in the store FILLED with phones and there was ONE flip phone. And it's rating was cruddy. And it was considered the geezer phone. Big easy to read buttons. The camera quality is poor, the ringer easily turns itself down and off, it's not loud, but when you put people on speaker phone it's LOUD... which means I have to put it up to my ear which I don't like to do, because sometimes the other person, even if you remind them they are speaker they forget and starts mouthing off about something they shouldn't.

So -- I am thinking of getting a smart phone. I will still do most of my stuff on the computer, but at least with that I can easily look up -- is that actor dead? When was that movie produced?

Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's already happening. When my beloved magenta Razr flip phone died, I went to buy another flip phone. With my job, a flip phone is perfect, because I carry it in my pocket with two or three bunches of keys and a flat faced phone would get mangled in no time.

There I was in the store FILLED with phones and there was ONE flip phone. And it's rating was cruddy. And it was considered the geezer phone. Big easy to read buttons. The camera quality is poor, the ringer easily turns itself down and off, it's not loud, but when you put people on speaker phone it's LOUD... which means I have to put it up to my ear which I don't like to do, because sometimes the other person, even if you remind them they are speaker they forget and starts mouthing off about something they shouldn't.
Here's the thing, though - if you get a smart-phone, are you forced to get Internet on all of them? I have a pseudo-smart-phone right now, and I got this over three years ago. It's got limited Internet capability, but I don't have Internet on there. I also can text, but I don't do texts either (I've actually blocked texts from the phone). I basically just use this to make calls, and that's it.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 09-20-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Here's the thing, though - if you get a smart-phone, are you forced to get Internet on all of them? I have a pseudo-smart-phone right now, and I got this over three years ago. It's got limited Internet capability, but I don't have Internet on there. I also can text, but I don't do texts either (I've actually blocked texts from the phone). I basically just use this to make calls, and that's it.
You can turn it off. My husband's phone we turned off texts -- but I have to send photos for work, so I have texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships