Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 08:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If you get bent out of shape because someone takes 5 minutes to respond to a work email or to check something, then I highly doubt they will miss your friendship.

People really to need to get over themselves. If someone would rather check Instagram than listen to someone's stories, there's probably a reason for that.
The way you explained it............that would be fine with me and I think most that sell tech like me......because we are somewhat electronically tethered to our jobs...........what the TS meant I believe.......is being on the damn thing the entire date not 5 min for work which is makes sense if you want to keep your job like I have to take calls while driving if I want to keep my job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Don't look at me, I still have a flip phone.
And I've never once in my life sent a text.

I am a freak of nature.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I have a one strike rule with socializing and cell phones.

It's worked out great.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Did you miss the my earlier post in which I listed all the practical reasons to have a smartphone? But hey, if you'd rather try to find a phone book and let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages when you need a service professional on the fly, be my guest.

You have no idea why that person would use their phone. And if you asked me to leave, I would proceed to keep my face buried in my phone long enough to delete your contact info.

I was on a date last night, and when I was letting her look at something on my phone, she noted I had a bunch of work emails, that I hadn't noticed. I immediately grabbed my phone, and quickly read through and responded to the necessary emails, since, you know, my job is kind of important.

Did she care? Of course not. We will have our second date this weekend, because she's mature enough to understand that sometimes I need to be on my phone, even on a date.

Some of these posters are just making more of a case for me being on my phone in public.
Yeah.

This post is narcissistic and ridiculous.
The fact that your "crucial information" is coming to you in email tells me that nothing is really that important.

See, it's not the phones that are the problem. It's this narcissism that they have fed everyone. If I am reachable, I am important. What a crock. If you actually had a job where lives were hanging in the balance, you would understand what real responsibility and needing to be reached is about.

Glad you found a chick who'll put up with that.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I could afford an iPhone but I dont want to be at everyone's beck and call 24/7. I also have no need to be on the internet 24/7. My desktop computer and home phone are enough for that.
It's amazing to me how many people don't seem to realize that iPhones come with an off button, and that it won't void your warrantee if you actually use it.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah.

The fact that your "crucial information" is coming to you in email tells me that nothing is really that important.

See, it's not the phones that are the problem. It's this narcissism that they have fed everyone. If I am reachable, I am important. What a crock. If you actually had a job where lives were hanging in the balance, you would understand what real responsibility and needing to be reached is about.

Exactly, sounds like he was trying to impress with how important his job is.....LOL. Truth is unless you're dealing with as you said lives mattering, it can wait till the morning.

She probably told her friends I went out with this guy and he played with his phone.

Another case of SII, self imposed importance.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah.

My post is the ridiculous one with all of these people obsessed with what other people, who aren't bothering them, do with their lives? That makes a lot of sense.

Just because someone don't work in the medical field or the emergency response field, does not their jobs aren't important or important to them. Not like your opinion is going to pay my rent or I need your validation, but in my line of work, a missed response, even if it's email, could cost my team and company.

I didn't realize critical information must be told via the telephone and only during business hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, sounds like he was trying to impress with how important his job is.....LOL. Truth is unless you're dealing with as you said lives mattering, it can wait till the morning.

She probably told her friends I went out with this guy and he played with his phone.

Another case of SII, self imposed importance.
Impress people? Who on C-D is worth a rip to impress? I'll answer that, no one.

You act like I told you my salary or job title. It's a simple statement that my job is important to me, and if a client is emailing me at 10 pm, it's pretty obvious it's urgent. Whether it's not urgent to you because someone isn't dying, is irrelevant.

And actually, she told her friends about the amazing time she had with me, and we're already going on another date tomorrow.

Another swing and a miss.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
My post is the ridiculous one with all of these people obsessed with what other people, who aren't bothering them, do with their lives? That makes a lot of sense.

Just because someone don't work in the medical field or the emergency response field, does not their jobs aren't important or important to them. Not like your opinion is going to pay my rent or I need your validation, but in my line of work, a missed response, even if it's email, could cost my team and company.

I didn't realize critical information must be told via the telephone and only during business hours. :eyeroll:

Impress people? Who on C-D is worth a rip to impress? I'll answer that, no one.

You act like I told you my salary or job title. It's a simple statement that my job is important to me, and if a client is emailing me at 10 pm, it's pretty obvious it's urgent. Whether it's not urgent to you because someone isn't dying, is irrelevant.

And actually, she told her friends about the amazing time she had with me, and we're already going on another date tomorrow.

Another swing and a miss.

Of course your job is important to you, you have developed this bad habit called eating. That doesn't mean you have to be constantly checking work emails. Are you a doctor or an on call nurse? Turn your phone off.

Sorry, if you let people think it is OK to be emailing you that late and expect a response that's on you. It can wait till the morning. It's called setting boundaries.

Turn your phone off this time.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The way you explained it............that would be fine with me and I think most that sell tech like me......because we are somewhat electronically tethered to our jobs...........what the TS meant I believe.......is being on the damn thing the entire date not 5 min for work which is makes sense if you want to keep your job like I have to take calls while driving if I want to keep my job
Yes.

What I said in my first post that some of these fine posters have missed, is that I'm not tethered to my phone, and I actually leave it in my car while I'm at work.

Last night, I had my phone away, and didn't respond to texts or calls, only responded to a couple of work emails that, SHE noted and responded to the necessary ones. If I'm getting a work email at that hour of the evening/night, I should probably at least read it. Like you said, just because I'm not a surgeon, doesn't mean it isn't important for me to be available to clients and have push notifications of my work email, particularly in commercial real estate.

I do understand it can be annoying in certain situations, but I'm amazed how so many of these posters are truly so concerned what with other people do, like they don't have their own in their life to worry about.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Of course your job is important to you, you have developed this bad habit called eating. That doesn't mean you have to be constantly checking work emails. Are you a doctor or an on call nurse? Turn your phone off.

Sorry, if you let people think it is OK to be emailing you that late and expect a response that's on you. It can wait till the morning. It's called setting boundaries.

Turn your phone off this time.
My job is important to me for a lot of reasons, but of course mentioning those reasons means I'm trying to impress people I'll never see IRL. I can't live with that kind of scarlet letter.

I guess you and your homie stan missed the part of my post in which I said SHE was looking at something I was showing her on my phone and SHE noted I had a bunch of unread work emails. I didn't just whip it out in the middle of a story she was telling me. You can jump back to that post and re-read it, less embarrassing than jumping to conclusions.

But hey, question, are you going to pay my rent October 1st?

No?

Then your advice about "turning off my phone" can go that away --->
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships