Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

My brother is 63 and has never married. He's had a few long term girlfriends, but never married and no children. He is set in his ways and likes it that way. One of my sons has never married either, although he shares a home with a longtime girlfriend and her two children. He loves the kids and they are happy. There seems to be a trend in the males in my family. My sister's son is single and will probably never marry either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 02:51 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am sad about the men who have responded, who regret they have no children. The women seem fine with it.
At least you guys could still make it happen in the future.
Don't let the women on here hear you say that. They'll argue about the increased possibility of birth defects and that men shouldn't reproduce after age 40. But yeah, it is sad. I'm very sad about not having kids.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:58 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Don't let the women on here hear you say that. They'll argue about the increased possibility of birth defects and that men shouldn't reproduce after age 40.
You have that wrong.... the increased possibility of birth defects after 40 is on the women, not the men.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You have that wrong.... the increased possibility of birth defects after 40 is on the women, not the men.
I don't have that wrong. Its both sexes, much as I hate to say it. I think Downs Syndrome is just on of the risks with an older father. Hate that I know this.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I'm one. I decided not to have children when I was five years old. If you don't want kids the not getting married part is pretty much mandatory.

Uhh...maybe in your world people only get married to have kids. You CAN get married even if you don't want kids. People do it all the time. Having brats isn't the only reason to get married. There is this thing called love too.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,602,001 times
For those of you who never had kids and wanted to, is adoption an option for you?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Yeah, I'm another one. Over 50, never married, and no kids.

I wouldn't mind getting married. But kids - uh uh, no way, not a chance. And since I refuse to marry or get involved with anyone who's got kids, I guess I'm not getting married or getting involved with anyone, since everyone seems to have a kid or two on the ground. I'm not getting caught up in the messes that are ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, or stepkids. No way Jose! You have a dog or a cat, you're cool. You have a kid, walk the other way and don't come back.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:55 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm glad you have that person. I think that's great. If I had one or two committed friends that we could watch out for each other that would be a boon.

As for surgery, I recently had something not too major but I wasn't sure how I'd do. I was pretty worried about it. One day driving to my apt I noticed a sign about some sort of health care thing. So I pulled in. They hire average people, no special training, do a drug screening and hire them out to people for running errands, light cleaning, post surgery help. I can't even remember how much it was, 25 an hour? Less? They might have had a 2 hour minimum. So I signed up to have someone come once a day for the first 5 days. As it turned out I didn't really need them past the first day of dressing changes and one run to get a prescription (couldn't drive). But it was nice to have them run the vacuum, pick up fresh fruit and make sure I was alive
That sounds good.

Yes, the male friend is available, however, he recently returned to work after retiring for a while, but only works three days a week. Then he is otherwise occupied with taking care of two deceased relative's property, so I don't know how much time he would have. My sister is always busy with something.. and don't feel I could entirely count on my niece. I used to have female friends locally who I had known over years, but little by little, have all moved out of state.

Not long ago, both my sister and niece happened to be out of town at the same time. My niece has a cat that stays with her mom when she travels. Well, this time they worked out that my sister's neighbor, a devoted cat owner, would come into my sis's place, visiting the cat 2-3 times daily for that time period. It worked out SO well, my niece's cat really liking my sister's neighbor.. (in fact, having more attention it seems than she would usually have from my sister). I do not have that currently. Though I am friendly with neighbors here, there does not really exist a closeness, though previously having made friends that way.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:26 PM

269 posts, read 371,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am sad about the men who have responded, who regret they have no children. The women seem fine with it.
At least you guys could still make it happen in the future.
I'm a woman, 45, mixed feelings about never having had children, I like kids a lot but never met anyone I wanted to have them with. I guess if I had been determined to procreate I would have made more of an effort. Have been going through a bit of a crisis lately to try to figure out what I'm doing with my life.

Pretty sure 100% that I'll fall into the over 50 never married in 5 years - I have no interest at all anymore in meeting "Mr Right". As I get older I'm getting less tolerant of other people - can't imagine sharing my house (or my life) with anyone now. I am close to my family though and having a niece and nephew is rewarding.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
My current bf is so sane I sometimes think I am dreaming. He has his own place, but he does sleep here every night. We have our own hobbies and interests, and there are never any issues when one of us wants to do something different. I've gone on two vacations alone and he's stayed back to watch the pets. The last time, he took a vacation the same week I was gone and spent it working on his own house. It does sound odd to people I'm sure, but it works very well for us.
Yes, that pretty much describes what I would want. With the last boyfriend, I found I would become antsy with him hanging around, wanting him to go home after a few days. He would not contribute or pick up after himself, so there was extra work and would interfere with time for myself. If I wanted to do my nails for instance, he would complain about the remover. I suppose if I was with a man who would automatically take care of things for himself or with me so we could get on with something else, I would feel more relaxed and comfortable. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships