Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 40 and I fully anticipate falling into this category in a decade or so. Same goes for many of my closest friends. 10 years ago, I would have been horrified at the idea, but now I relish my singleness.

As for concerns regarding who will take care of me, I'm socking away money in my 401K and working on a plan for additional savings. At the very least, I anticipate having my house as an asset. I'm not terribly worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
I'm one of you. It's been a fine and fun life, but it's become a problem in estate planning. I really can't think of who to make the executor of my will. My sibings are both older than I am and are more likely to die first, and my neices and nephews all live so far away that it would be a burden for them. I don't really have a friend that I think would do a good job as an executor, and besides I would feel guilty burdening them with this task. According to my attorney it's considered a conflict of interest for an attorney to do it (although I think it would be a logical solution.) An officer of a bank can be named, but they charge a hefty fee.

So, ?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:21 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm almost 40 and I fully anticipate falling into this category in a decade or so. Same goes for many of my closest friends. 10 years ago, I would have been horrified at the idea, but now I relish my singleness.

As for concerns regarding who will take care of me, I'm socking away money in my 401K and working on a plan for additional savings. At the very least, I anticipate having my house as an asset. I'm not terribly worried.
Smart plan. I'm doing the same, albeit a little late. I save 30% of my income, including maxing my 401k. But I don't own a house.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:22 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Well, as someone insisted on informing me in a message on my profile, the reproductive issues start at 35 for men, same as women. Therefore, I'm 12 years beyond being able to live my dream of having a family, evidently. Thanks so much for that.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I'm one of you. It's been a fine and fun life, but it's become a problem in estate planning. I really can't think of who to make the executor of my will. My sibings are both older than I am and are more likely to die first, and my neices and nephews all live so far away that it would be a burden for them. I don't really have a friend that I think would do a good job as an executor, and besides I would feel guilty burdening them with this task. According to my attorney it's considered a conflict of interest for an attorney to do it (although I think it would be a logical solution.) An officer of a bank can be named, but they charge a hefty fee.

So, ?
Ask one of the nieces and nephews who are responsible to do it. The one that says yes take out a life insurance policy or make them a POD on your bank accounts to pay for their travel cost to settle your estate. Check with an Attorney to see the best way to do it. Then again if you do nothing someone will do something even if it's your state. Enjoy life as best you can for as long as you can.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
I'm over 50 never married and no kids. I'm getting married one day because I've seen people first hand who had health issue and thank God they had someone around even if it to take them to doctors appointments.

Women may look at it different but I say fellas get married.. women will care and support each other but dudes are left alone and want to be left alone unless its sports or fishing. I'm gonna find me a wife..

Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Pew research, 2012 data says 7% of women and 8% of men at age 64 are never married.

Share of Never-Married Adults Diminishes with Age | Pew Research Center

The big question is why. Do they not want to be or not know how to find each other?
I would think people over 50 would like too be married instead of growing old alone. I'm now looking for my soul mate and I'm over 55 and never been married and have no children. I know people that got married but never had children and it was because of choice and not a medical reason.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Me, too! 56, never married because I don't want kids.
Because? Don'y you think it's possible to have a happy marriage without having children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
If you don't want kids the not getting married part is pretty much mandatory.
See above. It's not mandatory to remain single if you don't want children, nor in order to have a good marriage. Far from it.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

My mother(age 89) found an attorney who apparently did a lot of work for seniors, he helped her to revise her will, such as it is.
It wasn't Jimmy, was it?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would think people over 50 would like too be married instead of growing old alone. I'm now looking for my soul mate and I'm over 55 and never been married and have no children. I know people that got married but never had children and it was because of choice and not a medical reason.
I don't know any that would want to be married. We are not growing old alone. We have a full life. If you feel that way it is probably where you live and what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships