Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times

Advertisements

I'm just a little under a year shy of 50, and have also never been married and no children. No regrets at all, had several decent relationships over the years and one really good one (the one I am in now). Never worried at all about what will happen when I get older, plenty of communities where you can live if and when I reach that point. I've been maxing out my 401K for the past twenty years, and have done well in real estate as I've moved around a lot, so no worries there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would think people over 50 would like too be married instead of growing old alone. I'm now looking for my soul mate and I'm over 55 and never been married and have no children. I know people that got married but never had children and it was because of choice and not a medical reason.
Who says you have to grow old alone? I have several really good friends that I have been close with for a number of years and don't really see that changing.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Who says you have to grow old alone? I have several really good friends that I have been close with for a number of years and don't really see that changing.
Its not the same. You're probably wired differently than I. I really want to be married. I don't think we're meant to live life alone, and I don't mean just having friends. Maybe its just me.

Last edited by Atlguy39; 11-11-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Its not the same. You're probably wired differently than I. I really want to be married. I don't think we're meant to live life alone, and I don't men just having friends. Maybe its just me.
I understand what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, it's great doing things together as a couple like traveling and other things as well as just having someone there to talk with. I've gone on several trips with my G/F, and we're doing another next year. However, I've actually not been in relationships more than I have been in them in my life, and never really bothered me much. I do agree that people differ in this.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:34 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I understand what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, it's great doing things together as a couple like traveling and other things as well as just having someone there to talk with. I've gone on several trips with my G/F, and we're doing another next year. However, I've actually not been in relationships more than I have been in them in my life, and never really bothered me much. I do agree that people differ in this.
I was in relationships consistently from 24-40, including everything from long term, short term, and marriage. Then got divorced at 40 (with her for 7 years) and it all changed. The 40's haven't been kind to me in dating, though I'm told I look younger and all that. 30 something year old women don't want to be with me, which is a shame because I still want a family. I'm stuck, and growing old alone, my worst nightmare. I've had 3 short (1 year or less) relationships in the last 7 years. Not good because none were marriage material for me. I just feel like I'm wasting my life alone now.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I'm in my early 50s and have never married. I was ready for marriage in my mid-30s, after I got settled in my career, but then my father suffered a stroke. So I willingly returned home to take care for my father. My stay lasted 12 years. I have no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships