Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:56 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Neighbors? Really? I think that would be pretty unusual. Friends maybe, if you lived close. I don't have that. And honestly I feel like it would be an imposition.

Has anyone ever used a lawyer that specializes in senior clients?
Not unusual at all. I spend lots of time with my neighbors. Last night, lunch later today. Several days a week with my neighbors. ALL single. Mostly women, I'm a guy. I always thought it was sad when people did not get along with the neighbors.

If this concerns you so much you should think about moving. A 55+ Active Adult community, not senior housing, where neighbors helping neighbors is the norm.

You should have put this in the retirement forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, that pretty much describes what I would want. With the last boyfriend, I found I would become antsy with him hanging around, wanting him to go home after a few days. He would not contribute or pick up after himself, so there was extra work and would interfere with time for myself. If I wanted to do my nails for instance, he would complain about the remover. I suppose if I was with a man who would automatically take care of things for himself or with me so we could get on with something else, I would feel more relaxed and comfortable. Live and learn.
Exactly! The worst is when you want them to go home and they won't. I know if I asked my bf now to spend a couple of nights at his house, he would (though it certainly would't make sense after all this time). Just knowing that fact relaxes me a lot. It's tough when you're independent, and then taking care of 2 people in the house.

The only thing I complain about (internally) is dishes. I didn't cook much before we met and now he does - it feels like dish/pan usage has quadrupled. And since he cooks, I clean. Which is exactly why I hate to cook elaborate meals lol. But he wants me to stay healthy so I just keep at it.

Having your own space is really important to some people and I'm lucky enough to have found a man who feels the same way. We've talked about buying a house together, but he's keeping his and I may rent mine so it's always there as well.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Same here. Always enjoyed my freedom too much. Most of my friends are divorced and financially and emotionally ruined.

I can't say I really enjoy the company of people these days. Far too many untrustworthy people, especially in this "winner takes all" kind of world.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I could see this happening to me. I'm 29, have never wanted kids, and have been single for most of my adult life.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Any more of you out there?
Nearly 66. Never married. No kids. Never wanted either situations.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Just curious. Those of you in this category, are you in long term relationships? I'm not saying it's necessary, I am just wondering if you have simply eschewed the institution of marriage, or if you truly choose not to be yoked with another.
I knew when I was a teenager that I never wanted to get married. That was 50 years ago.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Default Yep...

Quote:
Just not my 'thing'.
K

Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM

208 posts, read 257,845 times
I'm never married, no kids and over 50. One thing I don't agree with, is that many of the people posting on here are saying things like, "oh, I was married before but you can't count that" or "I'm living with someone for X years but technically single". No, it's not the same thing! Living with someone for 15 years is like being married, and being married at some point in the distant past is not the same as NEVER married!

I think the OP is trying to find out who out here is NEVER married, and has no kids. It's a very specialized category.

There are women who are divorced with kids, so you can't call that NMNK.

Women who are married but have no kids--well, it's not Never Married.

Women who are NM but have kids--not the same as not having kids. A single woman with a child can always socialize with the parents of her kids's friends.

Women who are in a live-in relationship. No, not the same. I think we are talking about NM women who are alone, do not have anyone, no relationship, no kids, nada. Not the same if you are living with someone.

There is a very narrow category of NEVER married, no kids, and it's not the same as the other choices...

Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 AM

208 posts, read 257,845 times
Personally if I was trying to build a friendship with another woman who said she's NM and doesn't have kids, but she says she's been living with someone for 15 years, it's not the same! How would she and I build up any sort of rapport or companionship if she has HIM to go places with all of the time? She would be spending holidays with HIM or new year's eve with HIM or vacations with HIM. Not the same as a NMNK woman who is in the same boat as me (Alone).

Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Neighbors? Really? I think that would be pretty unusual. Friends maybe, if you lived close. I don't have that. And honestly I feel like it would be an imposition.

Has anyone ever used a lawyer that specializes in senior clients?
I guess it depends on where you live and your circumstances. We live in a community where the majority of residents are retired seniors, and a significant number of them are alone, many widowed and though they have children, those children are not involved at all with their parents. I see a lot of cameraderie among those folks, with their neighbors, or through clubs or organizations, others with common interests. It's not unusual at all here to see a neighbor or friend providing transportation to someone for a medical procedure or surgery, and even looking in on them afterwords for a few days to see that they're ok or need anything.

My mother(age 89) found an attorney who apparently did a lot of work for seniors, he helped her to revise her will, such as it is.
He came to the apartment complex she was living in ( an income limited over 55 community), and offered what seemed like pretty good discount charges for his services. She recommended this guy to us, and we had him draw up our wills and advanced directives. He was knowledgeable and a nice guy, although I guess we weren't senior enough for him to come to us and get those great reduced charges,LOL. But then the work he did for us was more complex, and we enjoyed the trip to Sarasota ( where his office is located), so it worked out just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships