Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times

Advertisements

Now, It's true that people judge us by the words we use, and I'm quite articulate. But I was told by a couple of people that I "sound mean", in that I have the propensity to be mean and cruel and yell at people. I'm a teddy bear, and just about everybody who knows me will say that I'm a really nice guy - but I was told by these folks (those who said that I sounded mean) that I have a bit too much "bearing" in my way of talking. A little background: I'm New York born-and-bred, still have the New York tone, even though I haven't lived there in 30 years. I'm a little hurt in that some people may think I'm mean! Get to know someone before you judge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:45 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Kind of the same thing with the thread I recently started on people judging others just by looking at their facial expressions. I hate the sound of my voice. It can be hard for people to understand me.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Now, It's true that people judge us by the words we use, and I'm quite articulate. But I was told by a couple of people that I "sound mean", in that I have the propensity to be mean and cruel and yell at people. I'm a teddy bear, and just about everybody who knows me will say that I'm a really nice guy - but I was told by these folks (those who said that I sounded mean) that I have a bit too much "bearing" in my way of talking. A little background: I'm New York born-and-bred, still have the New York tone, even though I haven't lived there in 30 years. I'm a little hurt in that some people may think I'm mean! Get to know someone before you judge them.
I'm originally from the same area, and I don't hear that from people. I do have many who pick up on my accent immediately, so that isn't it. If you are perceived as "mean, cruel, and yelling", that's on you, not your birthplace.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM

620 posts, read 639,224 times
Quote:
Instead of getting hurt or offended, be glad that you're now aware of a shortcoming that you weren't previously aware of. Now that you have that awareness, you can make a conscious effort to change that about yourself.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Try recording yourself having a conversation with someone & hear it back to understand your tone. Ask a friend for honest feedback. Not just your tone but maybe your body language is giving off a wrong impression as well. Recording your voice, video & practicing in front of a mirror can help. If its becoming an issue then see a speech therapist for a few sessions.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Maybe it's not your voice but your reputation?

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ed-threat.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...-too-much.html

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Probably....

Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
New Yorkers sound mad to many other people, especially those from the South and Southwest. You talk fast and emphatically, which I think is what the people meant by saying you sound mean. Record yourself ad see what you think. We never kn ow how we sound to others. There are also voice coaches if you think you have e a problem.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM

50,826 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Its not about judging you...everyone gives an "impression" of themselves, and people are kind enough to let you know that yours is of an angry person. My last bf was like this, he was kind too, but he had a scowly resting face and he was very big, and when he frowned he looked scary..when he started ranting or complaining about something (which he did frequently) and his already deep voice got loud, the overall picture that emerged was someone with anger issues. I would notice people in the room get quiet when we were at gatherings and even though I knew him, I could see why he made them uncomfortable sometimes.

Thank those friends, and make a concerted effort to be less negative.

Also, every personality is not for everyone. I have a loud voice and am very extroverted, bull in a china shop...most of my patients love me and love my personality, however I had one patient's family member ask me nicely if they could switch to another therapist because I was too loud and "just too much" for their family member. They preferred someone more soft-spoken for her.

Of course it hurt my feelings inwardly, I'm human after all. But I just said "of course, it's not a problem" and spent the next 10 minutes consoling HER that it was perfectly okay for her to ask me this. Everyone isn't a good fit for everyone else, and that's okay.

If you are coming off angry though, it can impact your life, my ex had a lot of issues with jobs etc because he would get loud and appear scary or angry to people.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:46 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
I always thought that most people consider New Yorkers' tone as curt and flippant, and their personalities as sarcastic and passive-aggressive.... at least the Big Apple denizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships