Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I met this girl (I'm guy) at a new job a few months ago. Somehow we got to work together and became a little friendly. She's not your typical social nor very warm kind of girl, it's more the opposite she doesn't shy away from sarcasm. While I do not necessarily overly appreciate being sarcastic people she was also friendly enough at the same for me to form a positive opinion of her.
While we are both single, there was never really flirting going on with her nor did I consider her as someone I could be romantically interested in, not overly into her looks nor her sarcastic/passive aggressive personality. She was pretty much just a coworker I had a friendly work relationship with, nothing more nothing less.

At one point she asks me for my number, which surprised me. She would start texting me to chit chat fairly. I didn't mind talking to her. The exchanges were always flat, once I made a slightly off-color joke and she immediately put me back in place.
Fast forward, she is sent to another location of the company in the same city, and I resign. I happen to have something to do in the same building where she now works. She offers to get together for lunch right before I take care of that errand, to which I agree. Later she calls out stating a work situation happening around lunch time, and offered to get dinner instead. I replied that I couldn't as I have commitments after. She replied literally "Fine, I am disappointed but do whatever you feel like. PLEASE".

I didn't reply. Her answer really turned me off, I feel like she is emotionally black-mailing me. I don't think she is in an position to demand such things from me. What do you think?

If you have no emotional attachment to this girl how can she emotionally blackmail you?
It appears that you are being beyond dramatic and allowing her blatant sarcasm to make you feel guilty which is your issue and has nothing to do with this girl.

Learn to control your own emotions instead of allowing others to control them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Here is some advice from a sarcastic female, still waters run deep, go where few men have ventured if you want some real excitement

Oh please, one does not have to be a smart mouth with a bad attitude to have "still waters that run deep"
and if you had paid attention the girl he is describing is not exactly the poster child of "still waters".

Old 11-18-2015, 06:10 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
What the hell?!!?! You are overthinking the situation not to mention a wuss.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
This is a complete non issue.

Do you understand how blackmailing someone works?

You don't like her, she has nothing to hold over you.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
Maybe she likes you, but just doesn't know how to show it. Wait and see if she contacts you again.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
"I feel like she is emotionally black-mailing me."

I don't think you really know what that term means. It was coined by an author of an educational article describing damaging classroom models. A therapist named Susan Forward later appropriated it and popularized it one of her pop-psychology books about intimate relationships. Since your interactions with this woman were only superficial, why would she bother engaging in such a dynamic.

Emotional blackmailers use such tactics as fear and guilt, as well as the constant threat to withhold love or approval, in order to gain the upper hand in very close relationships such as spouses, siblings, or parent and child. If you had that strong a reaction to the simple sarcastic comment this woman said to you, your interest in her must be far stronger than you are claiming it is. If she was, as you say "pretty much just a coworker I had a friendly work relationship with, nothing more nothing less," the she couldn't possibly be emotionally blackmailing you.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Thanks for posting what I was thinking too.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Maybe she likes you, but just doesn't know how to show it. Wait and see if she contacts you again.
Yes. That's what's happening here. The woman initiated the conversation/texting, then later asked the OP out to lunch, had to cancel for a legitimate reason - then instead asked him to dinner. I don't see how this can get any clearer - i.e., she likes the O.P.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM

412 posts, read 451,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Thanks for posting what I was thinking too.
+2

And she is not your co-worker. She is your former co-worker. There is a whole different set of rules for interacting with actual co-workers versus just about anyone else.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Oh please, one does not have to be a smart mouth with a bad attitude to have "still waters that run deep"
and if you had paid attention the girl he is describing is not exactly the poster child of "still waters".
I went back and read his post, I'm not seeing anything about her being anything less than still waters. You sound like one of the guys that think my private life is all that too Just because I can take a mans head off at 20 paces with my tongue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships