Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM

749 posts, read 856,581 times

Advertisements

I met this girl (I'm guy) at a new job a few months ago. Somehow we got to work together and became a little friendly. She's not your typical social nor very warm kind of girl, it's more the opposite she doesn't shy away from sarcasm. While I do not necessarily overly appreciate being sarcastic people she was also friendly enough at the same for me to form a positive opinion of her.
While we are both single, there was never really flirting going on with her nor did I consider her as someone I could be romantically interested in, not overly into her looks nor her sarcastic/passive aggressive personality. She was pretty much just a coworker I had a friendly work relationship with, nothing more nothing less.

At one point she asks me for my number, which surprised me. She would start texting me to chit chat fairly. I didn't mind talking to her. The exchanges were always flat, once I made a slightly off-color joke and she immediately put me back in place.
Fast forward, she is sent to another location of the company in the same city, and I resign. I happen to have something to do in the same building where she now works. She offers to get together for lunch right before I take care of that errand, to which I agree. Later she calls out stating a work situation happening around lunch time, and offered to get dinner instead. I replied that I couldn't as I have commitments after. She replied literally "Fine, I am disappointed but do whatever you feel like. PLEASE".

I didn't reply. Her answer really turned me off, I feel like she is emotionally black-mailing me. I don't think she is in an position to demand such things from me. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I met this girl (I'm guy) at a new job a few months ago. Somehow we got to work together and became a little friendly. She's not your typical social nor very warm kind of girl, it's more the opposite she doesn't shy away from sarcasm. While I do not necessarily overly appreciate being sarcastic people she was also friendly enough at the same for me to form a positive opinion of her.
While we are both single, there was never really flirting going on with her nor did I consider her as someone I could be romantically interested in, not overly into her looks nor her sarcastic/passive aggressive personality. She was pretty much just a coworker I had a friendly work relationship with, nothing more nothing less.

At one point she asks me for my number, which surprised me. She would start texting me to chit chat fairly. I didn't mind talking to her. The exchanges were always flat, once I made a slightly off-color joke and she immediately put me back in place.
Fast forward, she is sent to another location of the company in the same city, and I resign. I happen to have something to do in the same building where she now works. She offers to get together for lunch right before I take care of that errand, to which I agree. Later she calls out stating a work situation happening around lunch time, and offered to get dinner instead. I replied that I couldn't as I have commitments after. She replied literally "Fine, I am disappointed but do whatever you feel like. PLEASE".

I didn't reply. Her answer really turned me off, I feel like she is emotionally black-mailing me. I don't think she is in an position to demand such things from me. What do you think?
I don't think it's nearly as dramatic as you are making it.

You said she's a smart-8ss. Her reply sounds on par.

Don't reply anymore since you don't appear to actually like her very much.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
That was just a sarcastic comment

Old 11-18-2015, 01:03 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
You're seeing red flags for a reason. There may be nothing wrong with her, but for whatever reason, it's putting you off. Don't ignore your spidey-senses. If you don't like her demeanor, don't bother replying. Next!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Here is some advice from a sarcastic female, still waters run deep, go where few men have ventured if you want some real excitement

Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Since she isn't a good friend and you don't see eachother much take it as a sarcastic comment from a sarcastic person and move along.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:26 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
What do you mean by "emotional blackmail"? It sounds like she maybe wants to go out with you, but you don't want to go out with her. So say "no" and move on with your life.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:33 PM

908 posts, read 961,542 times
she sounds rude. i hate it when people use sarcasm as a front for rudeness. i'd totally ignore and delete her.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 PM

749 posts, read 856,581 times
The thing is that saying "no" to something she cancels herself triggers her to throw a fit and act pushy, sounds a little exaggerated and irrational to me.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Well, first of all, the woman in the OP is not emotionally black-mailing anyone. She likes the OP and is trying to get his attention. This woman is right up my alley, i.e. forward & to the point. Women don't always take the initiative, so when they do I think it's great (as I've mentioned in other posts). Also, this woman in the OP sounds somewhat fiesty, which I think is cool.

I stated in another thread that I don't like the idea of dating women I work with - but, in the OP's case, it sounds like they don't work together anymore. If I were the OP, I'd hit it - but, to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
she sounds rude. i hate it when people use sarcasm as a front for rudeness. i'd totally ignore and delete her.
Sometimes women (and men) don't know how to show their interest that easily. I do agree it wasn't a good idea on her part to have responded the way she did to the OP re: the dinner, especially since she cancelled the lunch. However, again, she's very direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Here is some advice from a sarcastic female, still waters run deep, go where few men have ventured if you want some real excitement
Agreed!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-18-2015 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships