Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Well having a "non white" partner does not mean she is not a racist. If she is with a black man then she is not likely racist toward black people but that does not mean she does not hold racist views toward Mexicans or Asians. I agree with a previous poster who said most people are racist in some ways. Our sinful human nature guarantees this. Racism is as common as the cold virus.
Not true. She can easily have negative feelings towards black women. I see it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
He may not be a racist but he is bigoted.
  • Prejudice is when a person negatively pre-judges another person or group without getting to know the beliefs, thoughts, and feelings behind their words and actions. A person of any racial group can be prejudiced towards a person of any other racial group. There is no power dynamic involved.
  • Bigotry is stronger than prejudice, a more severe mindset and often accompanied by discriminatory behavior. It’s arrogant and mean-spirited, but requires neither systems nor power to engage in.
  • Racism is the system that allows the racial group that’s already in power to retain power. Since arriving on U.S. soil white people have used their power to create preferential access to survival resources (housing, education, jobs, food, health, legal protection, etc.) for white people while simultaneously impeding people of color’s access to these same resources.Though "reverse racism" is a term I sometimes hear, it has never existed in America. White people are the only racial group to have ever established and retained power in the United States. Are prejudice, bigotry, and racism the same thing?

Great post. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
IMO, a racist is one who stereotypes or spreads his and others hatred of all the people because a few of them differ from their own religious beliefs or ethenticity.

I think that racism is born of ignorance or out of blindly following the wolves in sheeps clothing because it is the popular thing to do during certain widespread tragic events.
Great point.

People should visit any thread about blacks in the Current Events forum. You will see some of the most hateful speech in print.

OP,

At best, your friend is very ignorant. Why are you friends with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
Yes. And more disturbing is that fact that she feels comfortable spewing this trash

Old 11-20-2015, 11:25 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
Yes,
stereotyping a whole race of people and then insulting them is racism

Old 11-20-2015, 11:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
She said THESE Asian people. Maybe THOSE Asian people are pretentious. She did not say ALL.

Maybe THOSE Mexicans, the ones that work there, are thieves. She did not say ALL Mexicans are thieves.

You weren't clear about Indians. She may just be describing people by their race. Rude but it is easier to say the black guy over there than the tall man with a red shirt.

Young people today are too thin skinned. Too quick to label. She may be a racist but from your information she may just be rude and not too bright.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
My short answer would be yes. However, my view is that nearly everyone is racist. It's just a matter of to what degree. We all have our biases, even unconscious. I bet most people also judge others on what they wear, their body size, way of talking. Why would race be any different. Having a partner and friends of different races doesn't mean someone isn't racist. It's just that most of us are taught it's not socially acceptable to voice seemingly racist views in this day and age. In conclusion, there's way too little information about your friend to determine how truly racist he is. You have to observe him interacting with those of different races, not just what he says. Very few people will be free of racial biases, it's just up to each individual to decide how much is acceptable in a friend.
I also think this is a great post. There are degrees of biases. I don't believe anybody except God can be totally unbiased.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Yes.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Sounds racist to me. You know the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck..." Mixed race friends or not, your friend most certainly has issues.
Exactly.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Are you sure so called Racism is actually Racism?
I may not like a person because of his CULTURE but I would never dislike a person because of his RACIAL (usually skin color etc.) identity. If you cannot understand this concept you are part of the problem.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Are you sure so called Racism is actually Racism?
I may not like a person because of his CULTURE but I would never dislike a person because of his RACIAL (usually skin color etc.) identity. If you cannot understand this concept you are part of the problem.
Right on !

Old 11-20-2015, 05:39 PM

347 posts, read 425,608 times
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships