Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
Trust me, all those comments your friend is saying, I guarantee minorities are probably making wrong stereotypical comments about her as well. Yes, her comments are racist. But what most White people are unaware of is minorities can be incredibly racist about White people. Whites just aren't aware of it. I know many Asian people like Chinese, Japanese and Indian people look down on Whites and consider them inferior. I've heard them say "Why do all white parents approve of getting B's and C's in school or wasting their lives by getting married and having kids when they are 20. Or they drive the ugliest American brand cars like trucks and Lincolns" LOL I am Mexican and I've heard lots of Hispanic jokes about White people too.

I think racism is present in all cultures. I think it's a part of human nature to compete and be self serving thus they will cite differences to get ahead. It's just another way of people trying to get ahead. It's wrong and I try to instill in my children to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 PM

194 posts, read 246,435 times
Nah I don't think your friend is racist. I think he was talking about those particular Asians and Mexicans and Indians in front of him and using their race to specify that he was talking about those specific individuals, not saying them about all Asians and Mexicans and Indians. I think when he said "ALL these Indians", I think he meant all the ones he was talking about, not talking about all the ones in the world.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Racist may as well be defined as human. We will always find fault with others.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:06 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Maybe the non white partner is more racist , and this racism has rubbed off on your friend

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Maybe the non white partner is more racist , and this racism has rubbed off on your friend
Yeah, cuz that's the most likely scenario.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
She sure is. Just cause someone has a non white partner doesn't always mean they ain't racist or doesn't change views.

It just might be more understandable.

Last edited by owl6969; 11-21-2015 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 AM

203 posts, read 321,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
Per Merriam Webster's Dictionary:

Full Definition of RACISM

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Hope that helps (lol) - wink.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
Per Merriam Webster's Dictionary:

Full Definition of RACISM

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Hope that helps (lol) - wink.
That's a dictionary definition, but not one that holds up in sociology or anthropology. In truth, the term "racism" is unhelpful because it is too loaded with emotion and means different things to different people. It is hard to define at all. It has really become a political term, an insult, and an accusation, but it is pointless to try to use it as a black and white, easily definable concept.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Sounds racist to me. You know the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck..." Mixed race friends or not, your friend most certainly has issues.
Sounds duckist to me.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:48 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
I think she is on the average... Usually people are not as racist as "they must be dead" but everyone has less empathy with some groups than with others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships