Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Everybody is a racist, in that they notice the differences between people (some of which are racially influenced) and they fall on one side of the other of a reality. Either then make assumptions that people of certain races ARE different from the mainstream (racist), or that they are NOT different from the mainstream (politically correct). They are both harboring false generalization about people who fit in their own personal way into the social fabric.

In other words, the Politically Correct are just as ignorant and blind to reality as those that they call racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 05:11 PM

589 posts, read 696,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
Closet racists think marrying someone from another race gives them free pass to be racist and not be judged for it.

"I can't be racist! My friend/SO/estranged cousin is [insert race here]!"

Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,713,486 times
Quote:
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

Does it matter how we label her? If you find it offensive, say something. Or if you find it to be stupidly generalizing, say something.

Of course, the second statement isn't necessarily racist, just because she thinks her stuff was stolen by Mexican gardeners, and not Irish roofers.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:16 PM

96 posts, read 67,339 times
Quote:
Is my friend racist? You decide... these are a few of the statements she has made in the last few weeks. Or am I overreacting?

"I don't like these Asian people, they are way too pretentious"
"These Mexican people who work here, those gardeners, must have stolen my stuff"
"All these Indian people [insert derogatory statement here]"

However, said friend is white but has a non-white partner, has mixed race friends etc. so this is highly confusing...
seems like it. Sometimes it can be complex like this, but then meh...it's humans for you.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:52 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
Per Merriam Webster's Dictionary:

Full Definition of RACISM

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Hope that helps (lol) - wink.

Left wing folks try to use the term racism as a political weapon. If you don't support social programs for minorities your "racist" or if you don't support black lives matter your a "racist". You get the point. However when we go to the definition you would find very few people who rise to the level of actually believing their race is superior to another. Now almost everyone makes generalizations about other races, and almost all of us get angry with certain traits we see in other races. The best example out there at this moment is the terrorist associations with Arabs and Muslims. Most would not say they are racially superior to Arabs, but ALOT of people in Western nations would show disgust toward their culture and behavior these days. It may be better to say most of us hold a racial bias then to actually say there are a lot of true racists out there, because there just are not.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM

678 posts, read 698,126 times
I'm not really offended by racist its offensive when they're racist to the wrong people! Like white people aren't racist to GHETTO blacks but they'll see a black guy who is attending Harvard and say " watch out he might steal from you". Like wtf?! your racist towards Steve Urkle which is just wrong. Like I work in a hotel and people are racist towards me too. And IM NOT BLACK! I LISTEN TO GREENDAY AND NIRVANA FOR CHRIST SAKE! Like I said im not mad because of racism im mad because they do it towards the wrong people!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Are you sure so called Racism is actually Racism?
I may not like a person because of his CULTURE but I would never dislike a person because of his RACIAL (usually skin color etc.) identity. If you cannot understand this concept you are part of the problem.
I completely agree with you. I think that a lot of people have certain biases towards certain actions/people that can be cultural for a variety of reasons (poverty, education, etc). But I don't know how many people are purely "racist" (i.e. The reason they dislike the person is purely because of their skin color or ethnicity). I have never disliked a person because of their skin color or ethnicity, but I have disliked being around people who act a certain way, regardless of race. Certain races may display the "actions" I dislike more than others, but I don't dislike the person simply because of their race/ethnicity. That's why I don't like it when people always say "everyone is a little racist." For a majority of people, if they really dig deep, it's not the race/ skin color/ ethnicity they dislike, but rather the actions/behavior of the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships