Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:54 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times

Advertisements

OP, you have put up with too much physical violence already. If I were you, when your father gets in your face, tell him you are going to call 911 if he touches you again... AND DO IT.

Perhaps a visit with the law might change his attitude. You are NOT in the wrong trying to defend yourself.

NO one deserves to be physically abused and your father is being a bully. Don't put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:28 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Hitting a kid for thinking 2 + 2 = 5 does not each the kid that 2 + 2 = 4. Hitting does not impart knowledge of any kind, so it didn't teach you anything about what you knew and did not know.

Also, hitting is not a good enough reason to do what one is told. Again, it doesn't impart any knowledge.

Seems to me your parents didn't really teach you much at all. They just couldn't be arsed to take the time to educate and truly discipline you by letting you suffer the natural consequences of your actions and found it easier to just beat you into submission.

For example: Kid wants to stay up late. Fine, that is the choice. But kid gets up for school on time the next day and suffers with fatigue all day.

Another example: Underage kid goes out drinking and comes home drunk. Hungover kid still has to get up and do chores the next morning, and comes down to a kitchen filled with aromas that will send hungover kid running to the bathroom to puke.

Another example: Kid sasses back and behaves like an obnoxious know-it-all to parents and teachers. Kid loses all privileges for TV, computer, and/or bicycle, and is not allowed to go to whatever big event kid was really looking forward to going to, because those things are for people who behave and know how to act at home and in public.

But these things require brainpower on the part of a parent. Any imbecile with a closed fist can silence someone smaller.

Furthermore, violence is not the "real-life" punishment for transgressions. Losing privileges, losing jobs, losing money, being barred from premises, and being incarcerated are. That is why so many young people have attitudes and break laws. They didn't learn about what would really happen to them. Instead, they grew up with either violence themselves or with parents who couldn't be arsed to educate and actually parent. It's not because they weren't beaten.
Can't rep you again. The people who are in prison, for example, are usually people who were subject to corporal punishment or worse abuse, or who grew up with parents who were disconnected, absent or dysfunctional. How often do you hear a story of someone in prison who says "Well my parents never laid a hand on me. Consistency, responsibility and consequences just meant nothing to me"? How many of them say "my parents should have spanked me more?"

It just doesn't happen. Sorry.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
So, my uncle and I where talking and he grabbed my bag and said “let’s see what’s in here, then I grabbed the bag he elbowed me and grabbed me by my throat after that I put him in a choke hold. Of course my family broke it up. There was nothing bad in my bag but I like some privacy when it comes to my belongings. Was I in the wrong?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramp us View Post
So, my uncle and I where talking and he grabbed my bag and said “let’s see what’s in here, then I grabbed the bag he elbowed me and grabbed me by my throat after that I put him in a choke hold. Of course my family broke it up. There was nothing bad in my bag but I like some privacy when it comes to my belongings. Was I in the wrong?
No. It's pure self defense.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Someone grabs my bag I'll choke em out too!!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
Quote:
Not in the wrong. You should f your uncle up. He ain't anyone. What kind of mindset does he have?

I had an uncle who thought it was ok to just show up at my parents home, and hog the remote. We had to put him in his place ,even though my parents felt a certain way about it. Too bad, control your brother, he has no manners! Respect is earned not a born right.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
If anybody grabbed me and was violently shaking me I would push to get away. I think it would just be instinct

Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Depending on the age of your parents, elder abuse is a crime and you could go to jail.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depending on the age of your parents, elder abuse is a crime and you could go to jail.
Elder, minor...
I know a 16 years old girl who is about 6 feet, 160 pounds, constantly taking 1-3 places on national level in Karate in her country. If this kind of girl will try to beat me, and I will defend myself, I can get into troubles? Really?
And there are tall and strong elderly also. I knew a man, Hero of the USSR in ww2, in 80 he could kill people with bare hands.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 PM

10,768 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If the self defense is justifiable, it is justifiable regardless of the age of the attacker. Being elderly doesn't give one the right to assault another, and their age won't protect them from the consequences of their behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships