Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,649,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If the self defense is justifiable, it is justifiable regardless of the age of the attacker. Being elderly doesn't give one the right to assault another, and their age won't protect them from the consequences of their behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times
[quote=TaxPhd;42147797]This is one of the more ridiculous posts that I have seen on C-D.
The right of self-protection is one of those God given, inherent rights that everyone has. Violence in defense of ones self or other innocents, against a physical attack, is ALWAYS justified.[/QUOT
okay, whatever you believe
bylpph

Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,286,174 times
[quote=CSD610;50377151]
Quote:
This is one of the more ridiculous posts that I have seen on C-D.
The right of self-protection is one of those God given, inherent rights that everyone has. Violence in defense of ones self or other innocents, against a physical attack, is ALWAYS justified.[/QUOT
bylpph

I'm not sure that today's society agrees with you. Regarding these athletes who hit women, the talking heads always say that it is never permissible to hit a woman.

We're all aware of the definition of "never."

Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM

10,944 posts, read 5,798,029 times
[quote=CSD610;50377151]
Quote:
This is one of the more ridiculous posts that I have seen on C-D.
bylpph
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that defense of ones self against a violent attack isn't justified?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 AM

3,096 posts, read 1,703,382 times
My mother had many (mental) problems, but I was also a very difficult child and she just didn't know how to handle me. I got smacked and beat often, and some of those times I pretty well deserved it because I knew better. But she also hit me when it wasn't called for and it continued into my teens. I was about 18 years old when I blew up and pushed her - hard - and ran out of the house cursing horrid things at her. Oddly enough, I cannot remember her raising her hand to me after that. When I fought back it was out of defense but I think I wanted to hurt her, too.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 11,282,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
There really is no need for anyone to get physical with anyone else. Most people can talk through their problems.

That being said---if you grew up in a physically abusive household, you will eventually fight back. My mom used to hit me all the time, boy wasn't she surprised when at age 12-13, I started hitting her back. She hit me a lot less often after that.

I never hit my kids. There is no need to. Once a child is old enough to be reasoned with (around age 4-5) then spanking serves no purpose.
That is simply a myth or delusion. Many people CANNOT and will not "talk through" their problems.

And for those who claim there is never a justification for physical violence, you've never been jumped or attacked. You don't stop and say, "Whoa, dood!! Wutt??" You will get physically damaged if you think talk stops violence.

OP sounds like an abusee. Getting whipped with a belt for not having great math skills indicates the old man is the problem. If a mean drunk parent gets in your face and corners you and gets physical, guess what, you meet fire with fire. Sometimes an important lesson can be learned by the aggressor. Sometimes not.

But assault is real. And self-defense is the very first, primary natural right in all the animal kingdom. That includes humans.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,434,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
There really is no need for anyone to get physical with anyone else.
What a happy world you must live in. Unfortunately it is not the world that many people experience.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 553 times
Im currently 17 and i want to share the recent events in my life to help any other teenagers getting abused who might be reading this.
First of all me and my brother are living proof that beating your kids doesent work. I was beat alot when i was younger for things like leaving lights on upstairs, forgetting to put away dirty dishes and getting bad grades on a test i have ADD so i was getting beat almost every day. I even have called the cops on him for hiting me and the cops told me its legal to beat your kids. The cops called me a "jit" and told me i have to much white privelege and that my dad should beat me harder.that really crushed me on the inside and i wanted to murder him since i was 10. I realized i had to do something the police were usless. so i took up bodybuilding i lifted weights almost every day and i went from 110 pounds to 150 pounds. One day when i was 14 he came after me and i threw a chair at him and he tripped over it and hurt himself pretty badly and i threatened him with a knife it felt great seeing the fear in his eyes. He stopped beating me for a long time. But due to the abuse i had no remorse for anything i do ive lost all emotions. I went on to become a drug addict at 15 using any drugs i could get my hands on including heroin and cocaine. Ive overdosed three times. I just got out of my third rehab 2 months ago at 17. Me and my younger brother have also been arrest 3 times and have 8 felonies on our juvinile records(not permanent record). One month ago out of nowhere my dad hit my brother because the wifi box was missing(which my brother didnt even take it was my mom). My dad punched him in the stomach and started choking him. Luckily me and my brother have gotten alot bigger now and my dad has gotten older. I weigh 190 pounds now at 5'10. I lost it puled him off my brother and then me and my brother jumped him. We beat him badly he was crying and called the police. The usless police officers arrested us instead of him saying that its legal to beat your kids and that we cant hit back. I got out of juvinile dention center the next day and the court case is still open but it looks like ill be found not guilty by self defense. it felt better then cocaine when i was beating him and hearing him scream. But ive matured so mutch in the past month since then ive learned not to steal i quit drugs and realized i have to do better in school and i need a job. I belive that violence is bad but dont take abuse from anyone defend yourself by any means neccesary My advice to any kids who are currently being abused that might be reading this is that the police are usless they wont protect you only you can stop the abuse. So start lifting weights. Go hard in the gym eat lots of calories get big. Maybe join boxing if you can. Practice fighting at home learn off of youtube fight tips is a good channel to learn from. If you have a sibling get them to do the same. In a year or two beat up whoever is abusing you. Beat them 2x as hard as they ever beat you. The juvinile justice system is a joke you wont even do time you will probably just get community service or 6 months of probation but its worth it. Hittng a child is never ok there needs to be some kind of consequense for theese abusive parents.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,204,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Well I'm really against corporal punishment but for those in favor of it, it's your choice and whatever works for you.

However, is there ever a time you're even allow to get physical with your parents back in self-defense? One time when I was a 17 year-old HS senior, I pushed my father back during a physical altercation but IMO it was really in self-defense after he started it for no reason. There were times in my life my father was a total jerk such as the time he used to spanked me with a belt during my early years for not learning my math homework by the 2nd-3rd time he was trying to teach me; JERK. Anyways this is what happened at the time:

I accidentally overcooked the spaghetti red sauce (back then, I didn't know the timing nor how to cook that much) and this made my parents upset but my father was really pissed off. Still, it's not like I did it on purpose.

By this time it was no longer the belt but he actually had the nerve to get in my face and sort of shake/push me and during the altercation, I ended up pushing him back but it was really a ''get the hell away from me'' type of push. I still believe this was self-defense to be honest.
After moving in with my Dad during the mid-90s, he had a live-in girlfriend who became jealous of how close my Dad and I were. During one night, she accused me of something stupid, chased me with a pair of scissors in her hand, screamed that I was the cause of all her problems, and I decided to pull a butcher knife from the kitchen drawer. I still hate her to this very day. I'd **** on her, but not because she's on fire.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 AM

15,233 posts, read 10,418,135 times
OP - you mentioned this happened when you were 17. How old are you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships