Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
And to make matters worse....there wasn't enough of us to use the dining by room, so we decided to all sit in the kitchen. We have a small kitchen table that seats 4-5, and a huge island that can seat 4-6.

So you decided that your adult step-daughter and her fiancé weren't important enough to you for you to use your dining room so that they could sit at the same table with you, your husband and her grandparents?

Now tell us again who the rude person was?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,303,841 times
The dining room wouldve held 8, leaving 2 alone in the kitchen. At least in the kitchen, everyone was in the same room....some at island, some at table.

Perhaps I haven't been clear....she was running late & said to go ahead & start, so we did. There was plenty of seats for 8 of us in the kitchen. She & fiancé arrived mid-meal. I was up from the table, checking on those at the island & getting myself a refill. She came in, grabbed my unoccupied chair at the table, pulled up an extra chair for her fiancé, and that left me without a seat. She didn't say "are you done?" "Who was sitting here?", nothing.

Yes, my husband should've spoken up and said I was sitting there but like I said he's oblivious. We figured someone would be done eating by the time she & fiancé arrived and it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't really know her mother wel enough to have an opinion of her. But my step son is very well-mannered and he learned it somewhere. So either she didn't learn (unlikely) or chooses not to use manners toward me.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:16 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
Ok, ok.... We did have 10 seats! Island has 4 chairs & another 1 or 2 can easily be added. Kitchen table has 4 chairs but pulling in an extra one it seats 5 just fine. Beyond that, it gets crowded. My inlaws & husband were at the table, leaving 1 empty chair. She took that spot and pulled up the 5th chair for her fiancé. My stepson sat at the island without a problem. He is 18 and I know he's a picky eater, but he didn't bring his own bag �� .

I've learned my lesson regarding seats. But out dining room wouldve have held all 10. It can hold 8, so then we still would've had a couple people isolated in the kitchen. I think we need a bigger kitchen table

It's just the whole thing....she never says 'thank you',is very demanding & rude. My husband is oblivious to this. I think it's ironic bc she's planning a very large "formal" wedding and she hasn't the first clue about etiquette.
If you had 10 people and 10 seats, everyone had a seat. Are you just upset because you ended up at the "kids table" (island)?

I'd also be willing to forgive the taco bell, since this was a "casual" dinner at her own dad's house. I just don't think any of this is that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am sensing an undercurrent of general disapproval and dislike of your stepdaughter, and perhaps some buried anger at your husband.

How well do you get along with his ex wife/her mother?

I predict you will tell us that the ex is crazy/mean/criminal/a terrible parent.

How far off the mark am I?
Me too.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
The dining room wouldve held 8, leaving 2 alone in the kitchen. At least in the kitchen, everyone was in the same room....some at island, some at table.

You couldn't have squeezed in two extra chairs at the dining table?

Quote:
Perhaps I haven't been clear....she was running late & said to go ahead & start, so we did. There was plenty of seats for 8 of us in the kitchen. She & fiancé arrived mid-meal. I was up from the table, checking on those at the island & getting myself a refill. She came in, grabbed my unoccupied chair at the table, pulled up an extra chair for her fiancé, and that left me without a seat. She didn't say "are you done?" "Who was sitting here?", nothing.

If that's the case then it sounds like it could have been rude or a misunderstanding. If your plate and glass were gone she probably thought you were done and the seat was available, or she could have just been rude and not even cared. It's hard to say without being there.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,747,462 times
I doubt there is anything this young woman could have done right.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:19 AM

36,432 posts, read 16,041,106 times
What does your husband say about all this?
Basically, I would just let it go!

Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:

OK, you never said that up to this point. I doubt she took your seat on purpose. She saw an empty seat and sat down. It would have been more polite to ask. It would also have been polite to provide 10 seats for the 10 people you were expecting, even if 2 were going to be late.

You know, if she thought they were going to miss dinner, it is more understandable that she'd bring her own food.

In any case, let it go. It isn't that big of a deal.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
How often does stepdaughter see her Dad and her Grandparents? At some point separating the kids from the adults just doesn't make sense anymore and that time is when the kids are adults and teenagers. I can see why you were upset that she swooped in and took your seat but I can also see why she'd want to actually sit with her Dad and Grandparents at Christmas.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Yes, she was rude.

Yes, you were oversensitive.

She wasn't DISSING you. I doubt she was even thinking about you. She was being SELF-centered and immature. You are turning this into a bigger deal than it is.

Save yourself the angst from now on and stop expecting people to abide by your unwritten rules of etiquette. You will be happier.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,585,874 times
So you think a "22 year old engaged woman" should sit at the kid's table? You "did most of the cooking" but your "MIL brought the ham and fruit salad and lots of deserts"? You had 10 guests and only 8 seats? Maybe you should look at your self a little more critically and give your DIL time to fully mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships