Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 13,541 times

Advertisements

My brother just broke up with his girlfriend and since they were renting out a place together, now he doesn't have a place to stay in. He called me up the other day and asked me if it would be possible for him to move in with me for a few weeks until he finds himself a small cheap apartment. I tried to stall a bit of time and told him I was really busy and that we'd talk soon, since we're both studying in NYC. He's my brother, and I love him, and I feel really bad that he and his girlfriend broke up, but this really isn't a convenient time for him to move in with me. At all. First of all, I'm studying 24/7 and when I'm not, I'd like to go out and spend some time with my boyfriend or my friends. I really don't mean to sound insensitive, it's just that I have no time for him at the moment.

I know he needs emotional support and comfort from me. We were really close during High School and had to deal with a lot of family stuff together, and we didn't really have anybody besides each other, but I don't think he realizes that things are different now, and that I'm not always going to have the time or the energy for him. He's a year younger than me and it's actually his first year at Uni so he doesn't really know anybody here. I was kind of happy when he told me he'd be coming to NYC to study, I mean, I have no other family here, so having somebody close to me isn't a bad thing, It's just the fact that my brother thinks I'm somewhat available for him at all times that bothers me.

He's generally really sensitive and he had a really hard time during High School, no friends, no girlfriend, nothing. And loads of bullying because he used to be overweight. I really don't want to upset him by telling him "No. You can't stay." It will hurt him, and then I'll feel really guilty. Our parents are all the way in California, there's no way he can live with them because he's studying here.

Another problem is my boyfriend. Obviously I'm going to have him over at my place, and it's going to be really awkward if my brother accidentally walks in on us in a compromising position. It's already happened before with my boyfriend from High School, my brother walked in on us having sex and it was so incredibly awkward I actually cringe when thinking about it. I don't want a repeat of that.
Bottom line is, I really love my brother, but the last thing I want is for him to move in with me, it just won't work, but I don't know how to tell him, and also, where is he going to go? Ugh this is all so conflicting. He should have just stayed in the dorms, that's true.

Thanks for the advice
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:08 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
You say "I'm sorry, but that is not possible."

Since he is a college freshman, he should be in the dorms anyway.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
How would you feel if you were in his position? How you treat someone when it is not convenient says a lot about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.ross2431 View Post
My brother just broke up with his girlfriend and since they were renting out a place together, now he doesn't have a place to stay in. He called me up the other day and asked me if it would be possible for him to move in with me for a few weeks until he finds himself a small cheap apartment. I tried to stall a bit of time and told him I was really busy and that we'd talk soon, since we're both studying in NYC. He's my brother, and I love him, and I feel really bad that he and his girlfriend broke up, but this really isn't a convenient time for him to move in with me. At all. First of all, I'm studying 24/7 and when I'm not, I'd like to go out and spend some time with my boyfriend or my friends. I really don't mean to sound insensitive, it's just that I have no time for him at the moment.

I know he needs emotional support and comfort from me. We were really close during High School and had to deal with a lot of family stuff together, and we didn't really have anybody besides each other, but I don't think he realizes that things are different now, and that I'm not always going to have the time or the energy for him. He's a year younger than me and it's actually his first year at Uni so he doesn't really know anybody here. I was kind of happy when he told me he'd be coming to NYC to study, I mean, I have no other family here, so having somebody close to me isn't a bad thing, It's just the fact that my brother thinks I'm somewhat available for him at all times that bothers me.

He's generally really sensitive and he had a really hard time during High School, no friends, no girlfriend, nothing. And loads of bullying because he used to be overweight. I really don't want to upset him by telling him "No. You can't stay." It will hurt him, and then I'll feel really guilty. Our parents are all the way in California, there's no way he can live with them because he's studying here.

Another problem is my boyfriend. Obviously I'm going to have him over at my place, and it's going to be really awkward if my brother accidentally walks in on us in a compromising position. It's already happened before with my boyfriend from High School, my brother walked in on us having sex and it was so incredibly awkward I actually cringe when thinking about it. I don't want a repeat of that.
Bottom line is, I really love my brother, but the last thing I want is for him to move in with me, it just won't work, but I don't know how to tell him, and also, where is he going to go? Ugh this is all so conflicting.

Thanks for the advice
-J

Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
Work your tail off to find him an appropriate place elsewhere. Problem solved.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Your brother needs to be an adult and find a new place to rent. He needs to do this BEFORE he moves out of the old place. If he's renting it with his now ex gf, I would assume if he did things properly he is on the lease too. He can stay there until he finds a new place, she has no legal standing to kick him out. Now, if the lease is in her name and he moved in with her, that's a different story.

Most likely, having to find a place before he leaves his current one will light a fire under him to get it done quickly. If he moves in with you, he'll probably take longer to find a place.

That being said, you are family. I would offer to help him search for a place and help him move, but that you want to avoid him moving in with you unless there are no other options.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:47 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Some potential issues unanswered. Is his name on the lease with his ex-gf? How will he handle the unpaid rent if it is?
Does he have the additional funds to pay for new housing?

I would take him in, absolutely. I wouldn't turn away a sibling in need just so I could fool around with a boyfriend. Why can't you use the boyfriend's place? Make it very clear that it has to be temporary, which is all he's asked for.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:32 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.ross2431 View Post
My brother ... doesn't have a place to stay in. He called me up the other day and asked me if it would be possible for him to move in with me for a few weeks until he finds himself a small cheap apartment. I tried to stall a bit of time and told him I was really busy .... He's my brother, and I love him, and I feel really bad ..... this really isn't a convenient time for him to move in with me. ...... I really don't mean to sound insensitive, it's just that I have no time for him at the moment.

Another problem is my boyfriend.
Having him close to YOU was great for YOU when it fit YOU. Now he needs YOU and you're too busy studying what's happening in your bed.

Yes, you are being insensitive. Don't be surprised in the future when you will need your brother, he will suddenly have no time for you.

Karma and all.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Work your tail off to find him an appropriate place elsewhere. Problem solved.
No. Just no. Went is it the OP responsibility to find an adult, mentally capable person a home?

No guilt from me, OP.

How is he in general? Is he clean? Responsible? Does he work?

Is he going to just sit around and wait on you to entertain him?

If this is his first year of school, he'll be busy studying g, too. How is he gonna pay for the apartment?

I rather find it odd that you think that you have to be glued at the hip.

I would do it.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
He doesn't want to "move in" with you. He wants to stay with you until he finds another place. There is a difference.

Do you live in a studio? Why would he walk in on you having sex? lock the door.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Just say you have nothing against him, however you don't want him living with you. Be straight forward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships