Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:03 PM

20,422 posts, read 14,740,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're a spork!
Yep! "Kinda wanna spoon, really wanna fork." lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
You average almost 2 reputations per post, so obviously what you say is appreciated by a great many. Some can't average 1 per post, or average just over 1 reputation per post. So your contributions are more valued.
Well! I hadn't ever really noted the significance... Sometimes my contributions are valued, sometimes eh not so much, and some posters sure like 'em more than others. I've been chided for oversharing and lengthy expositions, and I am guilty as charged much of the time, but I try to mitigate my habits of putting all my stuff on blast, especially if I sense it's really going to make some folks very uncomfortable.

Like...without going into detail...some of the ways in which I have not be an adherent of "social norms"...

As a teenager, I was a Satanist, a fledgling Domme of sorts, and an aggressive hunter of virgin males.
Then I did a 180 and became a khaki wearing accounting nerd and faithful wife and mother. I was even sort of conservative (ish) for a time. (I blame Des Moines.)
Later befriended the band GWAR, and if that isn't bucking social convention, I don't know what is. I saw them 35 times in 12 states and I have the bloodstained t-shirts and backstage passes to prove it.
I was polyamorous for a year. Had loving relationships with four other people, three plus me were a "quad" group and the fourth was just me and him. All knew/know one another, completely honest (and it puzzles me how for many, THAT is the odd part.) It was quite nice for a time.
Now I am in a sadomasochistic relationship, which is glorious and delightful and also bursting at the seams with love, and I frequent, and volunteer, at a private adult club (a dungeon.) But I'm still an accounting nerd, and I still have GWAR stuff on my walls at home. I have faith of a sort, but no religion nor interest in such.
Being set on fire (yet not burned) is an occasional hobby of mine. That's pretty unusual, I figure.
Yet, 50 Shades of Grey does not describe my love life so much as my interior decorating. You see, the cat is grey, so I figure since he's going to shed on everything anyhow...
I'm a 38 year old who still insists on wearing Tripp clothing, which is a good deal more "rebel" than a popped collar in my own humble opinion.
My favorite music lately is Steampunk music, and I don't meet many people who even know it exists.
I've never been drunk in my life.
I like peanut butter and I like jelly, but I don't like them together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

9,222 posts, read 6,382,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
No, they respond to him something like this: "Not too much - just errands - can you help me with blah-blah-blah?" And believe it or not, they do it with a smile!!!

Why must people be so darn RUDE?
Wrong! The bank teller should have simply asked "How can I help you today?" That's it. We are talking about a transaction here not people chumming at a bar or pool hall.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,353,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
I'm a 66 year old man. My hair is past my shoulders. I don't trust our Federal gov't at all. I'm in favor of the legalization of cannabis. I think all wars are stupid and should be considered crime like mass murder. There is proof of defense contractors selling to both sides, so we know wars aren't about freedom. Corporations bribe pols for rights to kill. Corporations have run our gov't for over 100 years. We have a law that any American can be put in prison for 100 years for any reason or no reason. I think anyone who is in denial of these things or thinks they are good needs brain replacement therapy.
There is no law that says Americans can be locked up for no reason. In fact our Constitution forbids it.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 AM

10,921 posts, read 7,453,956 times
You're not much of a rebel if you have to get affirmation from strangers online.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,206,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In The Family View Post

How do I dress?

Well I mismatch clothes, wear ripped jeans on occasion, like I stated in another thread: I like to pop my collar on dress shirts

What rules do I make?

Well I only have one: Do what I want , when I want, as long as its legal
Okay, honey. Do you want to do your homework now or in an hour?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,222,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Okay, honey. Do you want to do your homework now or in an hour?

I agree lol, I don't see ripped jeans and mismatched clothes as particularly rebellious , or new.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:25 PM

20,422 posts, read 14,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I agree lol, I don't see ripped jeans and mismatched clothes as particularly rebellious , or new.
That popped collar tho...

Old 11-02-2017, 02:01 PM

35,139 posts, read 31,445,911 times
I look perfectly normal. I'm not the flashy type or would attract any attention.

I have to be extremely reserved and measured. My default personality is very colorful and it's obvious I don't follow a lot of conventions.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,061,953 times
When I was in grade school, I knew 5 girls with the name Crystal. LOL So...it's not that unusual.

But hey, if you like it...

Better than naming her gingivitis I guess. Or Itchy Scratchy. THAT'S committing to non-conformity. LOL

Old 11-03-2017, 03:24 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,182,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In The Family View Post
I may be what you classify as a rebel. Ever since I was little, I was taught to follow the social norms. I dealt with this for how many years, until one day I decided I didn't want to continue conforming to society's social norms. That's were I became a rebel. I feel free, less pressure to fit in and\follow the crowd. Social norms were a pain in the butt. I became a rebel because I wanted to be different. And I succeeded in becoming a rebel. I live by my rules and not society's .

So do you conform to social norms or are you a rebel like me?
This interesting. I was never taught how to fit in so that automatically made me an outcast. When I moved away, I knew I had to change because I didn't have my family to fall back on so I came to City-Data and learned a lot. Now I have a good family life, good friends and I am successful at my career. I prefer this life much better.

However, I will say that my years of being an outcast taught me to think for myself. So when a social rule is placed upon me, I find a creative way around it. Only the most rigid person will object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships