Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,814,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
It's out of the realm of the (very limited) logic anti-cat people can comprehend, but "Neighborhood Cats" can be a very positive thing for an area. I know researching that would be out of the question, but cats aren't going anywhere. As a human, you can embrace that fact of nature, or keep doing as most humans choose to do, hate and agonize over something you know nothing about thinking that hate and anger will make your tiny little sphere of reality a better place.
It is true that having a colony of SPAYED and NEUTERED cats is good. The majority (if not all) of the cats on my street are fixed. The same group of about 5 cats has been living on our street for at least three years and I've never seen a kitten. Not once. We also don't have any cat fights (on occasion a new cat will pass through and there is a dispute, but it's rare). They don't destroy things, we don't have any rodents around either. They do poop and pee places, but well that is part of nature. They, however, DO NOT spray or mark. Neutering makes a difference. I've never heard any neighbors complain about them and a couple even feed them sometimes.

The absolute best solution for stray cats are Trap, Alter, Release programs.

And to the poster complaining about "toxic" poop, well all poop is unsanitary, so you'll need to complain about dog poop, bird poop, squirrel poop, deer poop, skunk poop or the poop of whatever other wild animals live in your area (and feral cats are basically just that, wild animals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It isn't anti-cat to think cats should be watched outside or kept inside. Its actually very pro cat as so many cat go missing, get hit by cars, eat poisonous things, get attacked by other cats and wild animals and are sometimes abused by humans. To me its anti cat to get them and let them fend for themselves outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The purchasing public determines the value.

How much do house cats sell for???
Depends, but to say a living creature's value is based on how much money you can get for it is, frankly, disgusting. Every life has value. My free dog was my best friend and companion for the whole 14.5 years that I had him. He brought lots of joy to my life. He comforted me, protected me and was always there for me. Just because I didn't pay for him doesn't mean he wasn't valuable to me. When he was old and deaf and losing his vision and becoming senile he was still valuable to me. Even with all his ailments, the decision to put him down was incredibly difficult and I wondered for a long time if it was the right time, but I know it was.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,516,559 times
This thread is pure f***ing gold. The replies, just LOL. You people, man. Spoiled little BRATS

Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,439,531 times
I love all of the "just bring them in" logic on here from obviously non cat owners. My wife took in three strays that were starving to death. They CANNOT be left indoors. The male will urinate wherever he wants if left inside, they will get bored and shred curtains etc. By having a doggy door that curves 100% of their acting up. I only have one neighbor that complains and when he does I bring up the laundry list of things he does that aggravate me such as allowing his dog to bark at squirrels at 10 at night or mowing his lawn at 7AM and waking up my baby the ONE morning she sleeps in (and I get to sleep in as well).

Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM

714 posts, read 750,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I'd be more worried that your neighbor will put out poison in his yard. Or shoot your cat. Keep it inside.

Yep, unfortunately all it takes is the neighbor putting out a bowl of anti-freeze

Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It is true that having a colony of SPAYED and NEUTERED cats is good. The majority (if not all) of the cats on my street are fixed. The same group of about 5 cats has been living on our street for at least three years and I've never seen a kitten. Not once. We also don't have any cat fights (on occasion a new cat will pass through and there is a dispute, but it's rare). They don't destroy things, we don't have any rodents around either. They do poop and pee places, but well that is part of nature. They, however, DO NOT spray or mark. Neutering makes a difference. I've never heard any neighbors complain about them and a couple even feed them sometimes.

The absolute best solution for stray cats are Trap, Alter, Release programs.

And to the poster complaining about "toxic" poop, well all poop is unsanitary, so you'll need to complain about dog poop, bird poop, squirrel poop, deer poop, skunk poop or the poop of whatever other wild animals live in your area (and feral cats are basically just that, wild animals).

Depends, but to say a living creature's value is based on how much money you can get for it is, frankly, disgusting. Every life has value. My free dog was my best friend and companion for the whole 14.5 years that I had him. He brought lots of joy to my life. He comforted me, protected me and was always there for me. Just because I didn't pay for him doesn't mean he wasn't valuable to me. When he was old and deaf and losing his vision and becoming senile he was still valuable to me. Even with all his ailments, the decision to put him down was incredibly difficult and I wondered for a long time if it was the right time, but I know it was.
Having value in society is different than having personal value.

If the government would put a $25 bounty on cats.........there would be very few cats roaming around.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I only read one post that seemed bad...the one about using free cats to teach his dog to hunt. Everyone else has been very measured..even if they don't care for cats. Most people are advocating for humane treatment of pets. I am glad you do what you do for ferrel cats. If there was more responsible pet ownership, it wouldn't even be a problem you would have to donate your time and money for. So what is wrong with people wanting pet owners to be responsible? I just don't get where you are coming from.

I did dog rescue for a long time and all I wanted from people was for them to be good pet owners. Not perfect...just "good enough".
That is me with the hunting dogs.

I dislike idea of letting the dogs get an easy kill with a cat.

Still, I wanted people to be aware of what can happen.

I have had cats as pets.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Unless your neighbor has a bird sanctuary, he's being unreasonable. I'd love to tell him to write the city government to ask how to handle it legally, just for fun.

People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.
I have 2 cats...but some folks don't like cats. I keep my cats inside, it is safer for them.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,834,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I love all of the "just bring them in" logic on here from obviously non cat owners. My wife took in three strays that were starving to death. They CANNOT be left indoors. The male will urinate wherever he wants if left inside, they will get bored and shred curtains etc. By having a doggy door that curves 100% of their acting up. I only have one neighbor that complains and when he does I bring up the laundry list of things he does that aggravate me such as allowing his dog to bark at squirrels at 10 at night or mowing his lawn at 7AM and waking up my baby the ONE morning she sleeps in (and I get to sleep in as well).
No one is suggesting bringing feral/stray cats indoors although I have done so many times. This thread is about a pet cat that the owner allows outside. The cat will live longer if kept inside.

One of my three cats was an orphaned feral kitten not old enough to be away from mom. I bottle fed her for two weeks. She now has no interest in going outside, nor do my other two cats.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
She took in ferrel cats...which is a debatable decision. But it's not the same as a pet cat, it's very different. I think of someone tries to adopt ferrel cats, they will experience a similar situation. I'm not saying it's not a noble thing to try...but now your neighbors have 3 ferrel cats hanging around. So...

I have adopted dogs, all mine have been. One dog now was rescued at about 5 months. Because of her rough start to life, she is dog reactive (not aggressive, just over reacts to other dogs signals). Because of that, I have to be extra careful to keep her contained and away from dogs she might find threatening. Just because I "rescued" her doesn't give me a free pass at being responsible for her behavior.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,799,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This thread is pure f***ing gold. The replies, just LOL. You people, man. Spoiled little BRATS
Who do you think is spoiled? Those that think it's ok to have their property roam free on other people's property or those who wish other people's property would stay off theirs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships