Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

912 posts, read 914,547 times

Advertisements

"Whether or not someone else has complained is irrelevant. I am now. What is your solution?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Another one I.ve heard is..."You don.t like it? I.m surprised! Folks love our (limp, warm, yellow, wilted) salad and ask for it specifically."
--- Actual comment from Red Lobster Manager

Old 01-12-2016, 08:38 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Reps all around, except for the ones I can't rep again yet LOL.

But, it's true, the best response is to look more professional than they are. And just ask them how they are going to resolve the problem. I think I'll just ignore their comment that nobody else has complained and instead of giving them the satisfaction of a pause, I'll immediately just say, "So, what are you going to do to fix this problem?" Take the wind out of their "nobody else has complained" sails. Treat their little comment as dismissively as they're trying to treat me.

I have found over the years (when appropriate) to talk to them in a way to enable them to experience what you have experienced, by trying to put them into the situation you were subject too. Especially, for face to face communication such as asking them, "if YOU lived here (in the unit / house etc) would you (the landlord) be satisfied with the situation?".

Depending on the type of person the full 'counter' is sometimes warranted such as, "I find your response to my complaint unacceptable, let's start over from the beginning..." Then spell it out like a lawyer with documentation and corroboration.

In the alternate scenario, the phone "customer service" world, if you sense a 'rote' talk track response call them out on it jovially.

"Look, I realize you have a set of standard questions / responses. Let me explain what my experience has been with your (product / service) and then if this is not something you can address, please connect me to your supervisor.

If it's the proverbial 'circular phone menu routing hell', cut to the chase with a slightly angered tone but moderated:
"Look, I know I may sound angry, but it has nothing to do with you personally, and I realize you get all manner of complaints, some unfounded. My issue is (_____) your product / service is supposed to do (_____ )and it did not, it is defective (broke / malfunctioned etc) in some manner and I need it fixed / replaced / refunded". How are you going to make that happen? (followed by silence)

NOTE: Have your documentation of the problem (bad defective product - component, materials, grade et al or service lack of it poorly performed etc...) and the other times you've called or had any correspondence with dates and name of rep.... once they know you are an educated consumer ready with documentation, most every company with a modicum of intelligence will come up with an option or two. Those others usually go out of business one way or another due to ineptness in dealing with customers. Unless they are one of those huge monopolies that simply doesn't care and customer service is strictly 'lip' service (cable companies, credit card companies, telephony companies etc...).

From my experience, the 'type' of response the OP mentioned seems more prevalent in person. Sort of a dismissal and marginalizing of your complaint, rather than the more removed scenario of phone call service. One would think it would be reversed, but from my experience, the in person response seems a more 'play ignorant' ploy and hope you'll back down versus the "less personal, more detached" telecenter. I think this is due to so many customer service providers recording their calls.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Congratulations then, I'm your first!

I've experienced this once myself, and that's exactly what I said, with a smile.

I said something like that once: "There's a first time for everything!" It took effort, too, because I really wanted to say, "So what? I am complaining now. Be in the moment, pal."

It is off-putting to hear "no one else is complaining," though. It's manipulative and meant to guilt-trip the customer.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:56 PM

135 posts, read 169,790 times
you don't need to think of a clever response.

just use brute force and come onto them stating WHAT YOU WANT from them.

Keep repeating the same demand until they give in.

There is no law that says you can't do this.

Don't let them force you to be creative and deal with them intelligently. they don't deserve any of that.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
you don't need to think of a clever response.

just use brute force and come onto them stating WHAT YOU WANT from them.

Keep repeating the same demand until they give in.

There is no law that says you can't do this.

Don't let them force you to be creative and deal with them intelligently. they don't deserve any of that.
I love it. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

Is it me, or does it seem like the latest response to any kind of complaint these days, is to act completely baffled that you are complaining, and then say, "Huh, no on else has complained about that."

I've been hearing this from my landlord, which I know is not true, and other merchants here and there when I want to return something, and again today I heard it from a seller on Amazon over a product I wanted to return, that was obviously faulty.

I swear, this must be the new technique taught in seminars around the country on how to deal with complaints. Just look baffled and say, "Huh, nobody else has ever complained about that."

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? I have proof that both of the examples above were lies (talking to other tenants, and the Amazon seller's feedback). But, I don't remember hearing it as often as I do now. It seems like it's the standard response. Instead of, "I'm sorry things don't work right, or that the thing broke, etc.," they all now immediately act surprised and say, "No one else has complained about that." And what is the point? You'll feel crazy and stupid out there alone on the complaining branch, so you'll apologize and run away? I don't get it.

Anyway, I've been trying to perfect a comeback to this line. I'd love to hear suggestions.
This is not new. I've been hearing it or something similar my whole life. The one I hear most often is "You're the first person who has ever asked that/suggested that, etc. Many times it is meant to be complimentary, followed by another compliment about how smart I am or what an original thinker I am, but sometimes it's similar to what you posted.
When it's done as you explained it, they are just attempting to make you back down. Don't do it.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
"Nobody else has ever complained about the steak before."

"What a coincidence - I've never before had a steak taste so terrible that I found it necessary to complain about it."

Old 01-13-2016, 06:02 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My initial response would be, "I really don't know if others have complained and, frankly, I don't care. My only concern are my issues that need addressed."

Don
"I really don't know if others have complained, and, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Whether some others complained or not is irrelevant in those particular situations.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:05 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Why do you need a *come back*? Simply state your issue again and tell whomever you want the issue resolved because your experience is less than favorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships