Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:48 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

Is it me, or does it seem like the latest response to any kind of complaint these days, is to act completely baffled that you are complaining, and then say, "Huh, no on else has complained about that."

I've been hearing this from my landlord, which I know is not true, and other merchants here and there when I want to return something, and again today I heard it from a seller on Amazon over a product I wanted to return, that was obviously faulty.

I swear, this must be the new technique taught in seminars around the country on how to deal with complaints. Just look baffled and say, "Huh, nobody else has ever complained about that."

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? I have proof that both of the examples above were lies (talking to other tenants, and the Amazon seller's feedback). But, I don't remember hearing it as often as I do now. It seems like it's the standard response. Instead of, "I'm sorry things don't work right, or that the thing broke, etc.," they all now immediately act surprised and say, "No one else has complained about that." And what is the point? You'll feel crazy and stupid out there alone on the complaining branch, so you'll apologize and run away? I don't get it.

Anyway, I've been trying to perfect a comeback to this line. I'd love to hear suggestions.
I completely understand this and share your frustration. I'm currently dealing with a next door neighbor who blasts loud techno music and has regular loud parties, causing my walls to vibrate from the bass. The Apt manager has responded with "no one else has complained." Apparently others put up with that crap, but I have no problem being "the complainer" when I have been wronged. I will keep right on complaining until the issue is made right. He's due to be evicted this week and if for any reason he is not gone, I will take legal action.

Forget about a perfect comeback, simply demand the situation be fixed. It does not matter of it is only you, or you and a hundred others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I completely understand this and share your frustration. I'm currently dealing with a next door neighbor who blasts loud techno music and has regular loud parties, causing my walls to vibrate from the bass. The Apt manager has responded with "no one else has complained." Apparently others put up with that crap, but I have no problem being "the complainer" when I have been wronged. I will keep right on complaining until the issue is made right. He's due to be evicted this week and if for any reason he is not gone, I will take legal action.

Forget about a perfect comeback, simply demand the situation be fixed. It does not matter of it is only you, or you and a hundred others.
Wow. See, it's at that property manager seminar I knew it LOL.

But, yeah, not letting it work for them will be the ultimate comeback. They wore me out to the point, that I took it all the way to the state, and the state is now investigating them. Silly wabbits. And they still haven't fixed the issue. I guess they're planning on using the "nobody else complained" defense with the state. Let's see how far that gets them.

Hmmmm, so you're breaking the law but only one person has complained, so that makes it okay.... Interesting defense, but uh, no.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
[quote=Scooby Snacks;42601927]I tell the person " Just because other people haven't complained doesn't mean they haven't experienced the same issues. And that fact is irrelevant anyway. I have a problem, thus I'm discussing it with you." This describes my occasional experience as a customer who has bought whatever item, rather than other complaints I discuss in my life. It has been shown that many unhappy customers don't actually voice their complaints directly to the business. They just act on their dissatisfaction in other ways: by not purchasing the item again, not going to the store again, discouraging their friends and family from shopping at that store, or scaling back the frequency that they patronize that store. Those are the hidden complaints businesses never find out about, and there are more of those than the ones they hear.[/QUOT

I once heard the law of averages is that if you get one complaint 19 people before that had the same experience and did not complain. I don't know how they came up with that figure. But maybe a good response is to tell the person stating that no one has complained that you must be the 20th person and 19 other people would like to hear the answer too.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

I once heard the law of averages is that if you get one complaint 19 people before that had the same experience and did not complain. I don't know how they came up with that figure. But maybe a good response is to tell the person stating that no one has complained that you must be the 20th person and 19 other people would like to hear the answer too.
Yes!

I remember hearing or reading that the number of people who complain represent 2% of the total number of people with the same complaint/problem.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
All people who complain are just drama vortexes. They want to be the center of attention. They don't take responsibility for their bad decisions. When they run out of people to complain to IRL, they come here to complain.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
"No one has ever complained about the _____ before."

"That was then, this is now. Tell me specifically what your next step is going to be to address the here and now."

Old 01-14-2016, 09:24 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,880 times
I would simply say "It's irrelevant what other people have or haven't done. I have a complaint, and I'd like to know what you're going to do to resolve it."

Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
"Yea - well I'm not a doormat, so that's irrelevant"

Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
"Maybe they aren't complaining to you, but I'll bet they're complaining to others."

Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
All people who complain are just drama vortexes. They want to be the center of attention. They don't take responsibility for their bad decisions. When they run out of people to complain to IRL, they come here to complain.
You realize that you just complained, right?

At any rate, your overly broad generalization is nonsense. If I walk into Burger King and order a Whopper with cheese, and they don't put cheese on it, I'm taking it back up to the counter and telling them to give me the hamburger I paid them for. When I pay my hard-earned money for something, I damned well want what I paid for, and if anyone thinks that makes me a "drama vortex" who just wants to be the center of attention, all I can think of to do is laugh out loud in their face.

I feel very sorry for anyone who doesn't have the courage to stand up for themselves when they've been screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships