Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:12 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,023,299 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for your loss too . I haven't read your other threads so I don't know what happened in the 12 years . I lost my mom and a brother and 2 lifelong friends this past year but losing a child is something else entirely . Wait and see if you talk with them more ( if possible) to ascertain wheat the situation is .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 PM

7,060 posts, read 6,327,600 times
Kibbiecat, I didn't want to duplicate my other threads. If I wasn't hurting so much I could maybe combine them but there are so many loose threads.

The daughter-in-law called again tonight. My ex told her he'd paid for the cremation & I hadn't contributed anything. I will be so glad when this dealing with them is over. Because of all the drama, my brother and a friend of his are coming with me to pick up the ashes.

My poor baby. What he went through in his life. Enough is enough.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 PM

For those who haven't read the other threads, I apologize. We were close until the last few years when he threatened my family and me.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
12 years worth of info missing here. You don't just lose touch with your own child.
That's what leapt out at me as well. Lots of dysfunction in this OP that just wasn't covered.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Kibbiecat, I didn't want to duplicate my other threads. If I wasn't hurting so much I could maybe combine them but there are so many loose threads.

The daughter-in-law called again tonight. My ex told her he'd paid for the cremation & I hadn't contributed anything. I will be so glad when this dealing with them is over. Because of all the drama, my brother and a friend of his are coming with me to pick up the ashes.

My poor baby. What he went through in his life. Enough is enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For those who haven't read the other threads, I apologize. We were close until the last few years when he threatened my family and me.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I am sorry for you loss. Losing a child is difficult no matter what the circumstances. I just didn't understand how, at the time of the divorce, or in the years since, you weren't aware of what was going on with that part of the family.

Take comfort that he is no longer suffering.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,822,947 times
Yikes dear one I read your other thread and this is just horrible. It doesn't matter what your ex did with whom ever. Try not to dwell on them. Take care of yourself and do your best to put the pain and dysfunction behind you. Hugs.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:36 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,023,299 times
GLAD Someone is going with you . The LAST thing you need now is drama .

Old 01-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
GLAD Someone is going with you . The LAST thing you need now is drama .
I agree & trust me, both of them thrive on drama. I had a nightmare about being accosted in the parking lot & someone grabbing my box. I know, it was just a dream but it often pays to pay attention to your dreams. I'm just saying.

For those of you whom I have totally confused, I wasn't sure where to post what. My son & I were very close all through his life until his illness caused him to look at a lot of people in his life as the enemy. When he threatened my family, I felt I had to distance myself. It did not stop the love I have for him, but he was not thinking correctly. He threatened us because we would no longer give him money.

He was on disability & living in an assisted living building. He squandered the money that I gave him on a large expensive tv. He had a tv but I guess he didn't think it was big enough. He also bought a new computer that was over a thousand dollars. That's when I stopped giving him money. I have no idea what he did with his old one, which was only a year or so old.

My daughter in law & I & my son's 1/2 sister had a huge argument at the hospital when my son was in the burn unit. She told him it was her or me & if it was me, he would never see his daughter again. So, at that time I did not see him for five years. When he finally contacted me again, they were divorced.

It was a beautiful reunion until, like I said, I refused to give him more money. My family also quit giving him money. He was just throwing it away.

This is the sadness of mental illness.

I did not & still do not know where my granddaughter is living. I also did not know where my son was, although I knew he was in an assisted living building prior to our break-up so assumed he was in another. I know he was kicked out of the one he was at because he'd threatened a police officer. This I heard from his caseworker. And that's all he could legally tell me. Actually, he probably shouldn't have told me that much.

So, no, it wasn't 12 years, it was 2 or 3 the last time I saw him. And yes, I probably could have fought to see my granddaughter, but I did not want to put her in the middle of her mother & me.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
OP, I am SO sorry that you're going through this heartbreak. I have a very seriously mentally ill brother and I can really relate to what you mean by having to distance yourself for your own safety and sanity.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into the same phone number business. Your ex husband could have very easily been with your ex daughter in law and his granddaughter due to the death of your son - taking care of some business, helping your granddaughter deal with it, etc. Don't take on more anxiety than necessary right now. When the dust settles down, maybe you can try to figure out more about that, but I think that the relationship you probably ought to invest in is the one between you and your granddaughter. If it's at ALL possible, please try to re establish that precious bond.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 PM

I am trying. I left her a message on social media with my phone #'s, cell & land line. Actually I have to get a hold of her, not only to give her 1/2 of my ashes, but also because I'd co-signed on a motorcycle my son wanted & ended up paying for it after he was burned. It has sat in the pole barn all these years.

Now I can finally sell it, but need my granddaughter to sign off on the title. I will give her 1/2 of what we get minus repair costs. It has not been used in these 12 years so does need work, but because of the low miles, should get a fair price.

I did explain this to her mother so we'll see what happens.

I should add that my son only paid for two months. I paid the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships