Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:22 PM

619 posts, read 580,304 times

Advertisements

Many hugs. I cannot imagine your pain. I don't know your ex or your ex daughter in law but please remember the source of this hypothesis - it was your son who was probably angry and delusional. It doesn't mean that what he said was true. There could be so many reasons why the number was the same. In a normal family situation, I wouldn't think twice if a father in law and daughter in law were in the same house immediately following a terrible situation.

Lots of hugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:13 PM

3,833 posts, read 8,782,590 times
Has his estate been probated? In my state you'd have to have proof of that to show the DMV. My mother couldn't even sell her car to me with my deceased dad's name on the title until we finished probate.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,369,764 times
It's too soon, Murphy. I hadn't even thought of that. I do hope it happens as my ex and his daughter have been cleaning out my son's apartment, looking for his bank accounts, etc. (My ex actually asked me if I knew where he could find that info).

I'll find out from the DMV what they need. And I would love all this to go to probate to protect my granddaughter. I'm not familiar with what needs doing. He was my only son & have never had to go through this.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,414,923 times
The Lord never gives you more than you can handle. I'm pretty sure you've proved yourself and I pray He lets up on you!

I hope you are able to have a relationship with your granddaughter. That would be a ray of light in this otherwise dark situation. Best wishes. I'm sorry you feel regret about not believing your son. I'm sure you've been forgiven.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Thank you hunterseat. I hope my granddaughter remembers me when she finally sees me. If not, I have a ton of photos from before this all happened. Pictures, do, speak louder than words.

P.s. The Lord has always been Tough on me. It's made me a much better person than I might have been. But yes, I am going to pray about the whole ex business & my granddaughter.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's too soon, Murphy. I hadn't even thought of that. I do hope it happens as my ex and his daughter have been cleaning out my son's apartment, looking for his bank accounts, etc. (My ex actually asked me if I knew where he could find that info).

I'll find out from the DMV what they need. And I would love all this to go to probate to protect my granddaughter. I'm not familiar with what needs doing. He was my only son & have never had to go through this.
Did your son have a will? If you don't know, you should contact an attorney to facilitate a will search. That shouldn't be very expensive.

Did he have any investment accounts, life insurance accounts, annuities, etc? Those do not have to go through probate - they should have a beneficiary already named on them and should go directly to the beneficiary outside of probate.

If he died without a will, then state laws vary considerably regarding how his estate will be divided - but that info is readily available online.

His daughter should be considered his next of kin. Do you know if he had any joint accounts still in both names with his ex wife?

Any power of attorney floating around out there is null and void at the moment of death.

Just some things to consider.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:56 PM

My son was on disability. I doubt very seriously if there were any investments of any kind.

My brother's will find out what I need to do. Love my family.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
My son was on disability. I doubt very seriously if there were any investments of any kind.

My brother's will find out what I need to do. Love my family.
I know this is a difficult time. I just hope someone is very carefully watching out for your granddaughter's best interests in this. She would be your son's next of kin from what it sounds like - not his ex wife. I'm not saying you don't know this - just pointing it out.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know this is a difficult time. I just hope someone is very carefully watching out for your granddaughter's best interests in this. She would be your son's next of kin from what it sounds like - not his ex wife. I'm not saying you don't know this - just pointing it out.
Yes, Kathryn, I do understand. I have no idea how to protect her & except for the motorcycle, I have no idea what these folks are doing. It's unfortunate that the people involved are money hungry.
The ex-daughter in law is still refusing to let me get in touch with my granddaughter. I can't force the issue. I just don't know what to do.

She will be 18 on April 29th.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, Kathryn, I do understand. I have no idea how to protect her & except for the motorcycle, I have no idea what these folks are doing. It's unfortunate that the people involved are money hungry.
The ex-daughter in law is still refusing to let me get in touch with my granddaughter. I can't force the issue. I just don't know what to do.

She will be 18 on April 29th.
Oh good! That's a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships