Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallish View Post
Hah, I have limited english vocabulary. ;-D I mean she baked it herself (didn't buy it.) Yes, the sandwiches were to herself. Firstly, I'm not overly sensitive person in general. That's why this sounds so crazy that I'm actually thinking whether there's a hidden agenda in a cake or not. If someone else had a similar "problem" I'd just comment that please, could you get a life. I'm not usually spending my time wondering such things. I mean this thread sort of lost its track, I didn't mean that everyone should be guessing whether it was a genuine gesture or not more likely I just wanted to open up of her behaviour, and if anyone has similar experiences of people that aren't sincere. (whether it was genuine or not) And yes we have been close friends but recently I've taken distance of her.
lol That's funny, OP. But the main question your topic brings up is: will you be inviting your so-called "friend" to any more gatherings? Or will you be moving the friendship, such as it is, to a back burner? You don't have to cut her off completely, if you feel that would be awkward. You can simply decrease the frequency with which you see her, or invite her only to hang out with you one-on-one, so she can't create issues or try to make you look bad in front of your other friends.

So, after all this discussion, where do you stand on that question?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,778,285 times
Are you in the UK (spelling of "behaviour")? 'Cause if you are, we Americans are going to have a totally different social mindset than you and not be much help. Also, if you are, what are you doing posting on this site??

Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,250,677 times
This epidemic of bringing unsolicited cakes to social gatherings has gotten out of hand. Now it has escalated to bringing sandwiches to oneself (though the meaning there is not entirely clear). Where will it stop? We must act quickly or risk slipping back into the barbarism of potlucks and the delivery of casseroles to bereaved families.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,620,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallish View Post
I have a close friend though I have put some distance between us because of her behaviour. I've always thought that there is something "different" with her compared to any other friend I've had. But in the recent years I've questioned her behaviour even more; she can be negative, very jealous, manipulative and insulting. There are insulting things that she has done or said and some of the comments have been so "sneaky" that only afterwards I have figured out that her actual point was to insult me.

Some time ago I invited her and couple of other friends to have some wine and snacks at my place, I told the specific friend that I've just some wine to serve, she answered me that it is totally fine and nothing else is needed! (since our plan was to head to bar afterwards)

Fiends appeared in my place around 10 PM, and the friend came with a self baked cake. (The type of cake which doesn't require much effort or time but I was still a bit amazed.) For example once in a similar kind of friend gathering I had baked some pastry and she made a comment that it looked so nice....as I obviously have so much more time, as she is so busy with her life so she has to settle for "ready pastry". Yeah, obviously true as I was jobless back then but just as an example how she seems to be unable to pay a compliment without a little insult in it.)

I know this is ridiculously small thing and it was totally informal evening of meeting friends at my place but I just can't help my self thinking about what (actually) was her point. If any other brought a cake I'd just be grateful of the effort and think that she wanted to delight as I didn't have much to serve. But with her it just makes me feel that her pursuit was to embarrass me and have attention to herself. I just find it weird that firstly she says that it's totally okay not having anything besides wine but then she shows up with a cake even though she hardly ever bakes and it was supposed to be just a moment before heading to bar. I know I sound crazy and over-dramatic but I just think this was just an other attempt to make herself look better at my expense. What do you think?

(Sorry about my english. :P)
Here's an idea...
Talk to your friend. Tell her how your interpreted her actions and see what she says.
She'll know how you felt about what she said and did, and she can explain what she meant, if anything, by her actions. The two of you will have a better understanding of how each other take what is said and done, and hopefully there will be no more stress between you.
Good luck.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM

18,238 posts, read 15,782,819 times
This thread has brought the LOLZ.

A few times, actually.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 PM

14,568 posts, read 12,232,301 times
The last time a good friend of mine came over... she brought three jars of homemade jam and a jar of homemade pickles!

Imagine the nerve!

And to think, I thanked her!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,702,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The last time a good friend of mine came over... she brought three jars of homemade jam and a jar of homemade pickles!

Imagine the nerve!

And to think, I thanked her!
Nope, she was CLEARLY being sarcastic.

Either she was trying to tell you that you are either in a real jam or a real pickle. And then she went and preserved that nasty moment for you!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM

14,568 posts, read 12,232,301 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiznhKTF4hA

Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Are you in the UK (spelling of "behaviour")? 'Cause if you are, we Americans are going to have a totally different social mindset than you and not be much help. Also, if you are, what are you doing posting on this site??

Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post

Either she was trying to tell you that you are either in a real jam or a real pickle. And then she went and preserved that nasty moment for you!
Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships