Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gushkaty View Post
YES that is ridiculous. The standard for live in nannies is free room and board plus pay OR slightly reduced pay. Not free labor and slightly reduced rent.
A live-in nanny takes care of the kids for way more than one evening a week.

OP, we can't possibly know who is getting the best side of this unless we know:

How much is the going rate for that rental house? How much would you have to pay for a small apartment on your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Maybe, but you are taking advantage of him too. Try finding another place for $400, or even $500 a month with no strings attached. Babysitting one night a week as a condition of such reasonable rent, and being given the largest bedroom with a private bath seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Like others have said, it really depends where she is at. In phoenix I can get a 550 sq ft 1bd for less than $400 a month from many places. Even with electricity, internet, water, and a cheaper than cable tv service you are still less than $500 a month.

How is she taking advantage of him?

He asked her to move in to help him.
He is the one in his 40s who should know better.
He knows that would be one phenomenal deal for babysitting.
He knows those kids are going to be a lot to deal with (more than just Fridays).

OP makes it sound like it wasn't clear whether or not babysitting services were going to be required or not.

If it was its on her, if not, he is really trying to get more out of her. Personally though, this doesn't sound like a good situation at all. With how its setup I would be expecting this guy to try to swindle sex out of it some how.

If you are not in a contract you need to get out of this situation. No, second chances, no alterations, just end it. Find a place and give him a couple weeks notice (if no contract is just the polite thing to do). Tell him you think its in your best interest to either find roommates your own age, or that you don't feel the situation is working out, and get your own place. If you feel comfortable babysitting the kids then tell him you might be available once in a while.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Like others have said, it really depends where she is at. In phoenix I can get a 550 sq ft 1bd for less than $400 a month from many places. Even with electricity, internet, water, and a cheaper than cable tv service you are still less than $500 a month.

How is she taking advantage of him?

He asked her to move in to help him.
He is the one in his 40s who should know better.
He knows that would be one phenomenal deal for babysitting.
He knows those kids are going to be a lot to deal with (more than just Fridays).

OP makes it sound like it wasn't clear whether or not babysitting services were going to be required or not.

If it was its on her, if not, he is really trying to get more out of her. Personally though, this doesn't sound like a good situation at all. With how its setup I would be expecting this guy to try to swindle sex out of it some how.

If you are not in a contract you need to get out of this situation. No, second chances, no alterations, just end it. Find a place and give him a couple weeks notice (if no contract is just the polite thing to do). Tell him you think its in your best interest to either find roommates your own age, or that you don't feel the situation is working out, and get your own place. If you feel comfortable babysitting the kids then tell him you might be available once in a while.
Really? Have you rented in Phoenix lately?
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...x-rent-trends/

The OP is taking advantage of the reduced rent that was implied to be in exchange for "some" babysitting.
No more babysitting, means no more reduced rent, or, a new domicile.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 PM

802 posts, read 642,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A phone, though is a basic utility, so if there's a land line, that's what you get as a renter.
How is a phone a basic utility? I'm 55 and have never had a phone included in rent. Or utilities, or cable, for that matter. Rent for a studio apartment here, North Idaho, is at least 600.00 a month and you pay your own utilities, except water and garbage. And that is a 3 floor walk-up.
If you are feeling taken advantage of, get the heck out of there. 23 is too young to be taking care of, and cleaning up after, three children if they aren't yours.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Really? Have you rented in Phoenix lately?
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...x-rent-trends/

The OP is taking advantage of the reduced rent that was implied to be in exchange for "some" babysitting.
No more babysitting, means no more reduced rent, or, a new domicile.
I'm renting in phoenix right now, thank you. Are you in Phoenix? Because I have recently been apartment hunting, and those prices are ridiculously high. Those are places that have marble countertops, and your own private garage. Those are not something that your average 23 yr old is budgeting for. I wasn't looking at websites when I gave that figure, I was going off of what I found.

Theres two sides to the babysitting story. According to the way the OP wrote it, they both said there part and left it that. OBVIOUSLY, theres a little more to it than that. And again, $100 for every Friday of babysitting; IMO if on a Friday the homeowner is getting one heck of a deal for a guaranteed Friday babysitter. $100 divided by between 4 & 5 = $20-$25 a night. Unless that Friday babysitting is no more than 2-3 hours (which would be about average rate for ONE kid), The father is getting a great deal, ESPECIALLY since were talking GUARANTEED, PRIME TIME OF THE WEEK.. FRIDAY.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
How is a phone a basic utility? I'm 55 and have never had a phone included in rent. Or utilities, or cable, for that matter. Rent for a studio apartment here, North Idaho, is at least 600.00 a month and you pay your own utilities, except water and garbage. And that is a 3 floor walk-up.
If you are feeling taken advantage of, get the heck out of there. 23 is too young to be taking care of, and cleaning up after, three children if they aren't yours.
I meant she gets the service, just like you got electrical service and water, that you had to pay for. I asked the OP if she's paying a share of the utilities. I didn't assume it was free. I only meant that renting a room in a shared household usually includes phone access, along with electrical, sewage and water service. Or maybe shared households don't have a common phone anymore; maybe everyone's expected to get their own and there is no common phone, but in the OP's household, there is a common phone. If the cord doesn't extend into her room to give her some privacy and it's not a cordless phone, then she doesn't get privacy for the phone, which was her complaint. But they're allowing her to use the phone as a member of the household.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
A live-in nanny takes care of the kids for way more than one evening a week.

OP, we can't possibly know who is getting the best side of this unless we know:

How much is the going rate for that rental house? How much would you have to pay for a small apartment on your own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
My son's previous 1 bedroom apartment, with utilities cost $2,500 a month (and he considered it a bargain for his city).
Where my daughter used to live many one bedroom apartments, with utilities, would cost $1,000 or more a month.

OTOH, in some small towns you could rent an entire house for $500.

Like they say in the real estate business, location, location, location.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gushkaty View Post
YES that is ridiculous. The standard for live in nannies is free room and board plus pay OR slightly reduced pay. Not free labor and slightly reduced rent.
She's not a live-in nanny. He asked her to be a Friday night babysitter.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:34 PM

539 posts, read 566,736 times
Someone seriously repped me for this thread to disagree with my posts? Ugh.

OP hasn't replied to any of this yet, so our questions remain unanswered. But i think because of even their ages alone, that he has taken advantage of her naivety.

To pipe into the rent pricing conversation, I rent a 2 bedroom apartment, okay size, no dining room area, smallish bathroom, what most would call from a "slum" landlord, for $625 in lower Michigan. Around here, anything happens from seeing $250 a month for apartments in Flint to $1200 houses in Tecumseh. Average nicer large 2 bedroom would run about $700-$800. NOT including urban areas like downtown Ann Arbor, but most of Michigan isnt urbanized, contrary to popular belief.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:04 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
The 43 yr old is renting and subletting a room. All under verbal conditions.

The young lady is not obligated to pay a dime technically...she's not on lease.

Adding an additional kid to the housing will also get this chap kicked out.

There is much grey ( unknown) to give valid tenant rights. Can only say that he can increase rent all he wants...she is under no legal obligation to abide to it. He is directly responsible to abide by the rental terms as set forth by the landlord and state of residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships