Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:10 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,978,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
He is 28 and has been independent for the past 6 years. We have always had what we thought was a very good loving relationship with him. He has always know he could come to us when there was a problem or he just needed to talk. The past 3 months have been kind of tough for him. He broke up with his five year girlfriend, but seemed to be moving on. Recently he moved in to a new apartment and said things were going really well.

All of that came to a crashing halt this past weekend. He went out drinking with a friend this past Saturday and from that point on it was a string of bad horrible decisions. I don't want to get into details but, his decisions could have killed him that night. He called us after the fact because he was stranded and needed a ride. He was pretty drunk, very combative with us and any suggestions we offered. We have always had a standing policy that if started drinking to call and we would come get him no questions asked and no lectures.

I know a lot of what happened was a result of the drinking but we are both ashamed of him for his decision to drink that night and the other bad choices that followed. I think what hurts the most was his altitude towards us. We are having a really hard time dealing with the son we saw that night. Of course he says it was a one time thing and it's never going to happen again. We are so thankful that we didn't lose him that night but, we can't stop thinking what happens the next time he drinks. We are mad as hell but, we are scared ****less. I don't see how we will ever trust his judgement again or have the same respect that we had for him. We are at a loss as to where we go from here.
I gotta be honest here, your post is coming off like a Nancy boy wrote it. Sometimes people do stupid things. You supposedly being the older and wiser person should get that.

Is your son a drunk and combative as a pattern here??? Is he a good guy overall? Him getting drunk and acting stupid is pretty damn minor in the much larger bigger picture. Unless you give more details to indicate otherwise this isn't the end of the world.

People make mistakes, I think he made a mistake when calling you guys. He's a grown man, 28 is plenty old enough to be able to make your own mistakes and grow and learn from them, you make it sound like he's some 17 yr old HS senior here.

I get your disappoint to a degree, but lighten up, otherwise you might lose him. It takes a lot of effort for me to make sure that I visit my parents as I'm busy and have my own life, you start treating him like he was one of architects of the Nazi death camps certainly isn't going to make things easier to continue contact with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,500,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Also. gay marriage was legalized, which made her take more responsibility. ( She could take more responsibly , because a law was finally created for taking more responsibility)
You've lost me here. Is she gay? And even so, how does this make someone take more responsibility? I'm afraid I am too short for that comment.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:01 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,754,007 times
Yeah well my mom is ashamed of me after 25 (I'm 43) years of upstanding responsibility and achievement.

I slipped and fell. And now I say good riddance to any that do judge. So if you want to lose your son for good, stay with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships