Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 AM

1,504 posts, read 854,120 times

Advertisements

Firstly - even at that age he is just beginning the process of real maturity. They still at that age function on emotion. Breaking up with someone that gave you comfort for a while is a trauma. Never be ashamed of him...what also might be happening is that he may be drinking and smoking pot...which is common these days...it is pushing the limits of intoxication...and he may appear MORE drunk that he really is.

I have a son about the same age and have seen horrific emotional drunken behaviour...especially when it comes to dealing with woman. Young men are easily manipulated. If his girl friend dumped him...he had better know and understand that he should not be manipulated by someone who obviously did not truly love him

Young people imagine that if you love someone they will love you back...Some people are not capable of receiving love or giving it..that is a fact of life.

When your adult kid goes out and gets drunk or stoned...we all worry...because they put themselves in a vulnerable weakened state...be patient and never deny him love...and do not react...it is not about YOU...it is about him...be patient and never give up...you will NOT "Lose" him- have faith in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 06:20 AM

1,504 posts, read 854,120 times
Tell him you have faith in him.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 AM

528 posts, read 825,710 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I know that at this point he is on his own but, I didn't think he was capable of making some of the horrible decisions that he made that night. I know drinking changes peoples thinking but, you can't blame it all on that. He chose to drink which was the first bad decision. He says it was a wake up call but, will it stop him from doing it again.

I was still single and going out drinking at 28 and probably driving when I should not have. I survived but, then again I never had a night like just had. It's going to be a little more meaningful Thanksgiving this year.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:30 AM

528 posts, read 825,710 times
[quote=O.A.Bachlow;4628...be patient and never give up...you will NOT "Lose" him- have faith in him.[/quote]

We do, Thank You

Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
We do, Thank You
Then please for the love of sanity stop using drama words like "ashamed" for what sounds like a minor incident - no one ended up in jail, the hospital or the morgue. There was no property destroyed, lawyers called or debt accumulated.

From what I can tell, given your sparse details, he had a breakup, he got lit, he MAY have driven drunk, but even if he did, he came to his senses and called you before anyone got hurt or the police became involved. And then while drunk he got stroppy with you. A lot of people in my life have done far worse and still ended up with successful lives, happy families and bright futures.

The level of reaction in your first post is usually reserved for things like having to bail someone out or take someone to rehab.

It sounds like he's an only child. When you're the only kid of a high-anxiety parent, it's like being in a pressure cooker. I can still remember overhearing my mother frantically recounting the horror of my loss of a 4th grade notebook that needed to be graded by the teacher to my father. She built a possible C in social studies in FOURTH GRADE into the complete collapse of my academic career. Today, Zoloft is my occasional friend. My mother is not - I keep her well at a distance.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:
He is 28
He was pretty drunk, very combative with us
We have always had a standing policy that if started drinking to call
he says it was a one time thing
Your son is 28 years old, and the time for him to call Mommy is long past, however, I too would have picked him up this time, since it's a one-time thing.

But after his combativeness, it would not happen again. He would be told to get a cab and a clue.

Last edited by convextech; 11-23-2016 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
he was probably irritated because your penchant for drama and borrowing trouble had him on edge already. If you showed up already clutching your pearls and he was pretty drunk, crankiness seems like the logical outcome.
After reading her other threads, I gotta agree wholeheartedly on this.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It's going to be a little more meaningful Thanksgiving this year.
No grown adult wants to hear lecture after lecture from their parents, although he certainly should have known that's what he was in for when he called you instead of a cab that night.

Keep it up, and you'll be alone at Christmas and future holidays.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,646,571 times
At 28 he is old enough to make his own decisions whether they're good or bad. It's his life mom. He has to live with his mistakes. Some adult children will take parental advice and some won't. What do you expect to do really?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:55 AM

8,167 posts, read 8,391,154 times
My son is 40 and has disappointed me many times and also has made me proud many times. He has gotten arrested for DUI and in college was arrested for a couple of misdemeanors. I reacted to his over the top behaviors with extreme upset much of the time. Even now, I believe he is capable of getting in trouble over drinking/weed bad behavior or anger/rage tendancies.

But at some point I just was able to balance myself and realize I have no control over an adult. I always love him. If he asks my advice I give it. If he needs my help, I am always there. Thankfully, its been at least a decade since he has needed help from me. But my internal mantra is just to love him, not lecture him, not interfere, and not focus on him at all. That has served us both very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships