Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 AM

894 posts, read 588,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Take this scenario, for example. Let's say OP was unbearably pushy in pressuring these people to come over. They didn't want to come but they finally agreed because she asked them 10 times. So they blew her off because they never wanted to come in the first place but got tired of her asking. This may actually be what happened since she said they were away from friends and family for the first time so she may have been more forceful than she is letting on.

Or maybe this couple thinks it's rude to be texted all the time or didn't get all of the text messages. Some people don't live via text; they want to talk on the phone too. Or maybe they got sick. Or it was snowing and they didn't want to shovel it. Or their car broke down. Or they really don't like them anyway. It could be many reasons. But since we don't have the full picture, we don't know for sure.
But Scooby, the bottom line is they were well and able enough to answer the phone at 5:30 to say they wouldn't come. So my question is still if they could answer the phone AND even cook their own dinner, why were they too helpless to make a simple call earlier than that to say they would not attend?

Even if it was snowing, raining, or even if OP (hypothetically) nagged and bugged them from here to eternity and they were annoyed, why couldn't they "man-up" and say they changed their minds & were no longer coming?

They were sitting by a functioning phone at 5:30 when OP called to see why they were no-shows, so I don't get why they couldn't have used that same functioning phone to communicate that they were choosing to stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,062,880 times
Life is too short for crappy people like this. I would not initiate contact again.

And to those of you saying the OP may have been a little pushy....when you are trying to plan & cook a dinner like Thanksgiving dinner, timing is everything. I don't care how pushy they may seem, it's rude not to answer until the last minute like that. I hope you don't treat others that way.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,991,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
100% agree. I don't think we need the other sides story.
I disagree. My wife is always telling me, "Give people the benefit of the doubt." The only information we have is the info OP is choosing to tell us. There are always two sides. I'm not saying they aren't the wrong; they probably are. I just think that it's quite likely there's more to it than what we're hearing and OP doesn't have to be crazy for that to be true.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:56 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
But Scooby, the bottom line is they were well and able enough to answer the phone at 5:30 to say they wouldn't come. So my question is still if they could answer the phone AND even cook their own dinner, why were they too helpless to make a simple call earlier than that to say they would not attend?

Even if it was snowing, raining, or even if OP (hypothetically) nagged and bugged them from here to eternity and they were annoyed, why couldn't they "man-up" and say they changed their minds & were no longer coming?

They were sitting by a functioning phone at 5:30 when OP called to see why they were no-shows, so I don't get why they couldn't have used that same functioning phone to communicate that they were choosing to stay home.
because they are dirtbags.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,650,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
because they are dirtbags.
Simple and to the point. It doesn't matter what their excuse is - it would have taken two seconds to pick up the phone and say they weren't coming rather than pull a rude stunt like that.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I disagree. My wife is always telling me, "Give people the benefit of the doubt." The only information we have is the info OP is choosing to tell us. There are always two sides. I'm not saying they aren't the wrong; they probably are. I just think that it's quite likely there's more to it than what we're hearing and OP doesn't have to be crazy for that to be true.
I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but sorry. We only have to go by what the OP tells us. But I'm not seeing any cracks in her story.

If the account is accurate, there is no room for doubt here. There wasn't a massive shutdown of the telephone network. The intended guests' house didn't burn down. They weren't in the emergency room. They accepted an invitation and confirmed it once again on Thanksgiving morning. I'm not sure what other side there could possibly be.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:50 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,550,814 times
My only question (and I have only read 5 or so pages of the thread so apologies if this was already answered) is did the no-call/no-show couple know that it was just going to be those 2 families or did they think they were going to be one of many families? It is still rude not to call and the excuse they gave is odd, but I think the level of audacity changes if you think you will be 1 of 4 people vs. 1 of 40 (e.g. you will be missed less if there will be more people there).

Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,485,534 times
Not that it's a legitimate excuse but from what was described it sounded like they were binging.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:47 PM

4,064 posts, read 2,152,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My only question (and I have only read 5 or so pages of the thread so apologies if this was already answered) is did the no-call/no-show couple know that it was just going to be those 2 families or did they think they were going to be one of many families? It is still rude not to call and the excuse they gave is odd, but I think the level of audacity changes if you think you will be 1 of 4 people vs. 1 of 40 (e.g. you will be missed less if there will be more people there).
I believe it was just the OP and her husband and this other couple...so they were 50% of the diners and 100% of the guests. So the OP could have made twice the amount of food to accommodate the guests as she would have if it was just her and her husband.

For all the apologists of the invited guests: it's now been five days since they stood their hosts up. Where's the explanation? Apology? Attempt to set things right?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM

208 posts, read 170,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I get it, but I like to think that it's pretty easy to suss out these sorts of nut cases after an OP posts a few more times. Then their 'crazy' starts to show. I see it here all the time...the initial post is all 'poor me' and then by post #4 from an OP you likely know everything you need to know about why something bad happened.

However, in this case, I have yet to detect any of this here from the OP's follow-up posts. So to bring up random things that might have happened is sort of silly. For example, if you read carefully, the OP is in Tampa, so your very random "snowing" example is just as meaningless as suggesting an alien abduction.
Lol, love your post glad you've been paying attention!
No snow here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships