Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,866,613 times

Advertisements

When someone does something nice for me, it's never forgotten and will be reciprocated in the future. It doesn't have to be that week, but it will be sooner then later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 02:58 PM

30,566 posts, read 23,987,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I'll turn this around a bit.....

When I give gifts, the thought of reciprocation never crosses my mind.
This.

When I send someone a card, or give them a gift, it is not from a box of cards or random gifts to whomever, I personally go out and look for a card that fits that person. The message inside is something that I know they'll understand, or make them laugh (usually this choice). Same for gifts, I go out and look for something specifically for that person. At no time have I ever thought, "now you owe me". That completely defeats the purpose of the whole idea.

I give something because I WANT to, not because I expect anything in return. I don't keep points.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:19 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,946,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Someone just texted me asking for my address so she can mail me a Christmas card.

As I replied & gave her my address, I thought maybe I should ask for her address as well & mail her a Christmas card too.

But then I thought, no, that'll just be way too obvious that I'm only sending her one because she's giving me one and I don't believe in giving cards or gifts because someone else gave me one first.

Do any of you feel the same way? To me, if I give a person a card or gift just because they gave me one, then that cheapens my gesture and almost turns it into into a form of payment.
Yes I do and it sucks. My friends who know me would know I'd rather have their presence than presents. The most common drink I get from friends is drinks which I don't mind since I can easily buy the next one. I'd be mortified if I got something super expensive from a friend because that'd put pressure on me to pay them back.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:23 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,637,118 times
I think that the root question here is whether you want to be friends with this person? I ask because I believe that reciprocation is a fundamental element to friendship. I think that it's rather petty for the giver to expect something in return and I sure as heck do think that keeping points is just too time and energy consuming, but when it comes down to it, I do think that reciprocation is as kind and genuine as the original gesture, especially when it's something as little as a Holiday card.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:37 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,564,425 times
Obligated? Hmm.....Manners would say so .
when someone says "thank you" we reciprocate with "your welcome".

So too with Gifts....we are engrained to Balance out the kindness ( if we were raised with manners).

reciprocating can be as simple as acknowledging the gifter...sending a thank you card.

I come from a long family tradition of "giving" with no expectation...other then a Thank you. Some come wrapped in a package or with a hug. Do balance out the kindness though, it makes both equals

Old 11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,160,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This.

When I send someone a card, or give them a gift, it is not from a box of cards or random gifts to whomever, I personally go out and look for a card that fits that person. The message inside is something that I know they'll understand, or make them laugh (usually this choice). Same for gifts, I go out and look for something specifically for that person. At no time have I ever thought, "now you owe me". That completely defeats the purpose of the whole idea.

I give something because I WANT to, not because I expect anything in return. I don't keep points.

Right. Who wants a fruitcake?......unless someone really likes 'em.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 6,383,162 times
I find giving cards fun & appreciated. If you receive a card you'll have an address. Cards are certainly not an obligation.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,351,957 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with reciprocating imo. I keep a few wrapped gifts on hand just for this purpose.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 AM

20,713 posts, read 16,537,075 times
If I'm considering giving to someone I haven't before sometimes I'll say "I'd really like to get you a little something for Christmas" and gauge their reaction...if they're really negative in terms of not wanting it then I'll abide by that or just go with an actual greeting card or really small thing.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,732,397 times
I don't see sending cards as some huge expense. I'd probably reciprocate and mail one out also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships