Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times

Advertisements

My mother told us every time we sighed, it would take a whole day off our lives. She doesn't remember saying it, lol, but the moment is clearly etched in my memory and still bothers me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
My college roommate believed if you sat on concrete, or the ground, when it was cold you would get a cold in your bladder. Her elderly parents told her that and she believed it.
Omg. Yes! I remember as a young adult, telling my mother I had a bladder infection. She shook her head and said, "I keep telling you to wear slippers in the house...."

Old 11-30-2016, 12:04 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
This reminds me of the story of a girl who noticed every time her mom cooked meatloaf, she always cut the front & back piece off before putting it in the oven.

So the girl asked her mom why she always did that. Her mom said, "I don't know. My mother always did that so that's how I do it."

Confused, the girl then went to her grandma and asked HER why she always cut the front & back pieces off meatloaf before cooking it. And Grandma said, "I don't know but it's how my mother did it."

By this time, the girl was really frustrated & anxious to get to the bottom of this "mystery". So she went to her great-grandmother and asked HER why she always cut the front & back pieces off meatloaf before cooking it.

Great-grandma simple answer was " My oven was too small to fit a whole meatloaf. So I had to cut off part of the meat so the rest could fit in my oven."

(I hope I told that story right. *smile*)

I heard the same story but it was about a ham. A meatloaf you could shape however you want to fit in any pan.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:19 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My cousin-in-law- she would only use cold water to start boiling for pasta, and would get very upset if you tried to tell her using hot water would get it to boiling faster. I have no idea why.
most water authorities treat hot water with chemicals (chlorine ?) to kill algea that breads in warm moist places.

also hot water freezes faster.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just this week I heard a Christian whacko refer to tampons as "Satan's cotton finger."
That is beyond whacko. Sick pupper.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:55 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I heard the same story but it was about a ham. A meatloaf you could shape however you want to fit in any pan.
I heard it about a ham, but a Jewish woman told me the same story about a brisket!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:33 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
She was talking about smothering the baby.

Which is why you're not supposed to have pillows in the crib. Also why you don't put them on their stomachs to sleep until they are older. SIDS risk. Even though they say parents are in revolt of that theory.

Not really a red flag but it HAS happened according to urban legend-ish reports.

Sleeping cat suffocates baby - Telegraph

Family cat may have suffocated baby girl - Mirror Online

Napping cat may have killed sleeping infant - The Local

Of course, as a pet sitter I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS let a cat in a baby crib. They just left their dirty litter pan, for goodness sakes! UGH. Not to mention all that hair and dander.

It's also likely that in 1924 the baby was in a small cradle probably on the floor; not a big crib. My mother was in a CIGAR box as a preemie.
My grandmother was born at home in 1900, weighing a little over three pounds. They kept her wrapped in wool batting in a warm oven. I guess that was the nearest thing to an incubator you could get back then. She lived into her 80's.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:37 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post

My dad- "All men are after is only one thing, so don't give it to them" (this didn't scar me or anything or make me afraid of men for awhile during adolescence)

Oh, I forgot about that one. My grandmother's advice to me as a teenager, warning me that men don't marry girls they've had sex with: "Why should a man pay for a cow when the milk is free?"

Old 11-30-2016, 04:06 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My grandmother believed using a tampon was like packing a wound to stop the bleeding. She had had numerous late term miscarriages where she had to be "packed" to stop the hemorrhaging. She happened to go through menopause earlier than most women and her mind she associated this with the miscarriages and the wound packing. People of her generation were so ignorant of their own bodies.

She raised my sister and I and while she told us about menstruation, she never talked about sex AT ALL. It was for married people and a woman was supposed to just put up with sex for the sake of her husband and for procreation and that was it. I was 13 or 14 years old and heard my aunt, who had just had a baby talking to my grandmother about the stitches being itchy. I assumed she was talking about the stitches to open her up to take the baby out because how else could it get out, that's how clueless I was.
Tampons aren't good for you, though.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/8359...giene-products

Old 11-30-2016, 06:05 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Superstition can be outright tragic.

My aunt was born at home during a snowstorm in 1934. My grandfather walked out into the storm to get the doctor, stopping first to send over a nurse who lived nearby.

The baby came before the doctor got there. She was born with what they used to call "the caul", the amniotic sac over her face. Such babies were supposed to have powers to tell the future, and the nurse was afraid and wouldn't touch her. By the time the doctor got there and removed the membrane, my aunt had been deprived of oxygen. She had cerebral palsy and was also mentally challenged, with the intelligence of about a five-year-old. It completely changed this family's life. There were no services for mentally retarded kids back then except that the school sent over a tutor who taught her the alphabet and how to write her name in her palsied scrawl.

She could walk until she was 9, when polio came through and she caught it and had 30 seizures in one night. Everything the family had or did centered around my aunt and her disabilities. She lived to be 61 years old, doomed to most of her life spent in a hospital bed listening to music, all because of some nurse's stupid superstition.
That is so sad. Quite a lot of suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships