Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:00 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

Too many = 1? Am I reading that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Family doesn't mean blood. Maybe the friend your sister invites she considers her family, perhaps more so than you. Maybe your parents are also close to this woman and consider her a daughter. Your taking a day about people and spending time together and making it all about you. You have a very entitled attitude. Its one day a year deal with it! Also nothing is stopping you from making more time in your life to see your parents on other random days. I say if you can't accept the invite as is, then don't go.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:17 PM

714 posts, read 747,588 times
Some of the nasty responses to this.. yikes there are a lot of angry people on this site

Old 11-29-2016, 03:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think it would be wonderful if the world revolved around me and all of my whims, but unfortunately, that's not the way the world works. I do understand where you're coming from and yes, there are many families that prefer to stay inside the confines of their clan for the holiday.

Then there are others who are kind and giving and would rather see someone with a nice meal one day out of the year who have no one else or no where else to go. Even rectums deserve to have that one meal that lasts only a few precious hours one day out of the year. Yep, homeless people, addicts and rest as well. Those few precious hours and one meal. That's all it is. You have all of the rest of the year to be with your family and talk about whatever you want to talk about.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, it is your sister's best friend who is dragging in the strays correct?

Tell your parents this makes you uncomfortable and if she attends, you will not attend.

That would pi$$ me off to no end.

When your name is on the title to the house you can be pissed off. If it isn't than you have no say so.

You don't like, ya don't go.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
This has been posted elsewhere here on CD but seems fitting here:

Arizona grandma hosts stranger met via text for Thanksgiving dinner - CNN.com

Old 11-29-2016, 03:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I try to do that but fails because I think my family and I are at a certain financial and political status very different than many of those guests. So I can easily see a normal conversation can become difficult if we invite too many people that are at the low end of the spectrum.
Did you really just say that? "Low end of the spectrum"? Good Lord above, that is Snobby with a capital "S".

Old 11-29-2016, 03:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I'm sorry, my heart is not warmed.

The teenager didn't bring anything and "couldn't stay to help clean up." Poor manners, especially after he invited himself.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:09 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. This reeks of snobby, entitled elitism.

If you were my sibling, you'd have already been banned from the family dinners.

Thank you for summarizing that so nicely for me, convextech. I am out of rep right now unfortunately, but, you deserve some. You nailed it with the quote outtakes. The OP had been striking me that way for a while as I read through the thread but that particular post told the whole tale in a nutshell.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Not really. The OP's sister is bringing people she actually knows well. In fact the OP knows some of them for years.

These aren't strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry, my heart is not warmed.

The teenager didn't bring anything and "couldn't stay to help clean up." Poor manners, especially after he invited himself.
Agree, I was raised with "bring something besides yourself" when you're invited to someone's home. And you help clean up not sit on your rear end.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
No. I disagree that Thanksgiving is exclusive to relatives only. As I stated in another thread, just imagine if the Pilgrims and Native Americans viewed it as an exclusive event.

If you want to spend time with just your parents, that seems to be the solution.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships