Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,492,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
You are being petty and ungrateful.
AGREED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,941,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I can't believe almost everyone is attacking the OP. Replacing a battery and transmission fluid is something that the owner of the vehicle should have been taking care of all along. Would everyone still be attacking OP if these repairs were needed if they had only borrowed the car one day? Then it's no different just because they happened to be borrowing the car for a longer period of time.

This wasn't a rental car - and if it was, then you can be damn sure that the rental car company is the one who would have paid for these repairs.

Just because someone does a favor of lending you something doesn't mean that you now take responsibility for pre-existing problems, not something that was caused by the borrower's use. If OP had been house sitting and it turned out that because of lack of maintenance, the house needed a new roof while they happened to be the one staying there, does that mean the house sitter is supposed to pay for a roof??
You are missing the point, the OP chose to do the repairs without the knowledge or consent of the property owner. She chose to put the new battery in, she chose to do the fluid. After the fact she told the owner. When those things broke she could have easily called the owner told her the car broke and went from there, but she chose to fix problems on her own, and the owner might have had other intentions.

If you were house-sitting and the roof leaked, would you choose to repair or authorize the repair of a building that did not belong to you, or would you call the homeowner? If you choose to repair a rental car without the company's authorization, you bet your butt you will be paying for those repairs out of your pocket.

She was not responsible for the repairs to the car, right up till the time she authorized them and did them without the consent of the owner.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 PM

16,447 posts, read 12,640,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
When those things broke she could have easily called the owner told her the car broke and went from there, but she chose to fix problems on her own, and the owner might have had other intentions.
And I think that was likely the OP's fear. That the aunt would say that she didn't want to make the repairs. So she circumvented the aunt in order to ensure that she (the OP) continued to have a car available to her. It came back and bit her on the butt.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 27 days ago)

16,159 posts, read 21,320,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nope. You needed a car and this relative lent it to you without any expectation of recompense. I mean, you do understand the notion of wear and tear, right?
For two months of use? A battery does not wear and tear over two months, neither does a transmission, at least not to the tune of $150-$200.
The OP may or may not have handled the discussion in the best way but I do not think it's unreasonable of her to have expected the aunt to reimburse the cost of the battery. Auntie would have been the one buying it anyway if the timing had been the merest bit different. It really isn't the OP's responsibility to replace an item that should have been, would have been replaced by the owner anyway.
That's like saying if your boss or coworker lent you a car to run an errand and the battery died or the tire blew while you were driving it you are responsible for paying for the repairs yourself, simply for the fact that you were the one driving while it happened.

And for those of you saying OP should have just left the car, really? To let it get towed? Pay for towing it herself? The cost for towing is probably nearly as much as a new battery. I guess she should have just left it and let auntie worry about paying to get the car out of impound, yes?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,252,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it didn't seem to fit in "Automotive." Recently I gave up my car because it would have been more expensive to repair than it was worth, so now have no personal transportation. A close relative was going to be out of the state, didn't need her car for a couple of months, and offered to lend me her car temporarily. While I had it, I had to replace 4 quarts of transmission fluid and purchase a new battery (didn't leave lights on too long or anything--it was just the natural death of an old battery).

When I mentioned these costs, she really didn't see why I would expect to be reimbursed because I was using the car. Of course, if I caused some damage, a fender bender or even pop a tire due to running over a nail or some such, I'd feel responsible for those things. Not sure of the legalities and I'm not going to try to take my relative to small claims court in any case, but am I wrong to feel this is not right? I'm sorry I accepted the offer and won't do that again!
Oh, you should definitely take her to small claims court - but please let me know the court date. I want to be there to see the judge's face before he comes over and smacks you with a 2X4.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:55 PM

16,447 posts, read 12,640,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It really isn't the OP's responsibility to replace an item that should have been, would have been replaced by the owner anyway.
You (and the OP) don't know that it would have been replaced anyway. The aunt wasn't using the car. It's possible that she wouldn't have wanted to spend any more money to maintain it.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:58 PM

13,744 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I'm on a limited budget, so the money spent was a big deal to me. Right now, a new battery isn't "minor" maintenance to me! I would have accepted the transmission fluid costs. No, I'm not going to do this again. If the situation were reversed, I'd feel responsible to reimburse someone who spent $$ to maintain MY property. I returned the car washed, cleaned with a full tank of gas, in addition to "effusive" thanks, which were more that I got it with. I'm aware of the insurance implications had I been in an accident, was careful to only drive when necessary, and checked that I would be covered in the eventuality of an accident.

No, I'm not entitled or a "brat," and I've helped this relative A LOT in the past. Now that I'm in a position of needing help, it hurts, and I can't believe the extremely negative words typed here by others--hope you're never in reduced circumstances!
Unbelievable.

If you drove a car you owned for work, you would be entitled to deduct .55 for every mile driven. That's what the IRS considers to be fair compensation for using a car.

So, think about that. Assuming you have $150 for the battery and fluid, you come out ahead before mile 300...That's less than one tank of gas worth of driving, depending on the car.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 27 days ago)

16,159 posts, read 21,320,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You (and the OP) don't know that it would have been replaced anyway. The aunt wasn't using the car. It's possible that she wouldn't have wanted to spend any more money to maintain it.
That is stretching, OP says Auntie was out of state and offered to loan the car temporarily. Perhaps she didn't intend to resume using the car when she returned but it doesn't really sound like it. Again the alternative would be what, to just leave it sitting wherever?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,332,081 times
I think the car expenses are on you. She lent you her car when you were in a jam. Please do let this go.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

So, in effect, she would do exactly what the OP did to her own car. Yet, the auntie is justified and the OP is not?

Get out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships